Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2021, 04:42 PM

1,032 posts, read 874,442 times

Advertisements

Armadillos Hamburgers (Evergreen and McCullough)

What was once Little Hipps has now been Armadillos for well over a decade.

Over those years, they've expanded their patio, which is comfortable, as well as adding a larger footprint of tables. The burgers remain some of the best (and largest) in the city. Friendly, fast servers. Very cold draft beer. Affordable prices.

The jalapeno/cheeseburger works so well because they use fresh cut peppers. You get the snap of the vegetable and the heat, along with perhaps the best homemade bun in San Antonio. I could eat them by themselves.

I'm also keen on the super fresh white onion they use. It's strong, but it cuts through the richness of the cheese and meat.

https://www.armadilloburger.com/

Last edited by RadiantBaby; 03-23-2021 at 05:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2021, 05:15 PM

Mon's Thai, Alamo Heights.

The bump of the 'best of Thai' thread reminded me to get back to Mon's and see how they've been doing.

Clearly, they have business, but from an order for two taking over an hour to the off-taste of Thai favorites and sashimi, thi is one spot I won't be going back to for awhile.

I feel as if they've cemented their place in Alamo Heights and have gotten lazy. If the food doesn't make that clear, the state of the dining room does. It's in need of some TLC (and much better lighting than '80s era track lighting).

The $40 sashimi platter tasted extremely previously frozen and bland. No bueno.

The Tom Kha Gai soup tasted exactly like the Tom Yum. No bueno.

Much better Thai in town, even just down the street on Austin Hwy (Tong's Thai).

https://monsthai.com/

Old 03-12-2022, 03:21 PM

Cappy's (Alamo Heights).

Reopening after an extended COVID closure, Cappy's is a mainstay of AH and doesn't seem to have lost any charm, service standard or culinary talent. While not a formal place, it's a step up from fast-casual.

A structured shrimp nacho to start, wedge salad to follow and a creole-inspired mahi as a main were delicious.

Their bar knows how to shake and serve a dirty martini.

i'd recommend making reservations on OpenTable to avoid a wait during dinner hours.

https://www.cappysrestaurant.com/

Old 03-15-2022, 11:15 AM

Seoul Food (Austin Hwy/Wurzbach).

Unassuming, quiet spot that's serving authentic K-food with reasonable prices to match.

The spicy Korean fried chicken is delicious. All dark meat. Served family-style in very large portion.

Bonchon is fresh. Great kimchi. Pungent, spicy. I go here because they serve some of the best kimchi soup I've ever had.

Seafood pancake is a real winner. Not too oily. Flash fried. Generous filling.

Bulgogi is the standard of any Korean spot and here it's good, but not what I would call a standout. The menu is impressively large and the bulgogi tends to get lost to more diverse, interesting dishes.

The Hite is cold and served in the larger size. They have a selection of other non-Korean beers and wine.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/seoul-food-...ll-san-antonio

Old 03-23-2022, 11:21 AM

Fogo de Chao (Downtown, Commerce St).

I needed to blow some OpenTable rewards before they expired and this was one of the few places I could get full-value of them. It wasn't a first-pick, but ended up being a pretty fantastic dinner.

They got rid of valet, so be ready to drive past the eatery and turn right into Rivercenter's parking garage. They do validate for comp parking. It's about a half-block walk.

They have five tables that are set away from the crunch in the middle of the room. Tip: Ask for one or put it into your reservation notes. They're almost all two-tops, but they are quiet and allow you to not constantly get brushed by people getting up to hit the salad bar.

I tend to skip most salad bars at Brazilian steakhouses. It's just filler and takes me away from the reason I'm there. I only get up for a good pot of feijoada and thankfully, Fogo's is pretty okay. It's not spicy, but that can be fixed at the table. The black beans had flavor. The sausage was fantastic. It was a stew consistency, which is perfect.

The bar knocked out every dirty martini we ordered. Strong, quick and cold.

The meats were on point. They always asked how I wanted it cooked and it was carved to about 95% perfection each time. I ate my weight in picanha. I'm going to pay for that with meat sweats on a treadmill today. Delicious.

For a place that attracts mainly tourists and conventioneers, I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly everything went. The service was professional, punctual and friendly.

As much as I enjoy Chama on 1604, I really don't like the hike to get out there. For where I'm based in Olmos, this is a much easier trek and I'd definitely come back to see if they provide a consistent experience.

Old 04-03-2022, 05:54 PM

6,705 posts, read 8,771,270 times
Mr. Juicy burger. Wasn't impressed at all. If there was anything good to be said about the food, it was just the bun only.

Old 04-04-2022, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure110 View Post
Mr. Juicy burger. Wasn't impressed at all. If there was anything good to be said about the food, it was just the bun only.
Over time, Andrew Weissman has trashed his formerly great reputation as a chef. He's closed more places than Jason Dady and what's left feels thrown together.

Juicy was great in the beginning. Agree that it's not impressive now.

Old 04-08-2022, 01:12 PM

Allora, Human Credit building @ The Pearl.

San Antonio's been lacking a solid Med/Italian seafood spot and the owners of The Maverick filled in the gap with this new eatery at The Pearl.

A tall, but somewhat cramped dining space. Huge windows. Tons of reverb (noise).

Resy is their preferred system of getting a table in advance. Solid bar program with bartenders who know how to make simple, but effective drinks. They definitely know the difference between dirty and filthy.

I ordered a ton of appetizers and some starter pastas. Standouts were the grilled octopus, the chicken liver mousse and the linguine with clam sauce (although it was too heavy to be considered a traditional clam sauce).

Servers were friendly. Management was handling the crowds well. I wouldn't call this place 'fancy' by any stretch, so feel free to come in jeans and a t-shirt. I'd suggest skipping the flip flops, however.

The patio is beautiful, but gets a massive amount of sundown sunshine. No shade at all.

I suggest using the lot in front of the restaurant, as valet is an insane $20.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio