Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2007, 10:09 PM

5 posts, read 26,109 times

Advertisements

I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to get a few different questions in. I am looking at moving to the IE from Arizona and am interested in the best communities that also offer a reasonable (I'm used to 10 min but understand t may be up to 25 min) commute to the 10/215. From experience, the 10 West is very congested in the morning and the 10 East is at night, so that would seem to exclude nicer places like Redlands. Is this a safe assumption? Is Redlands a nice place?

Also looking at Loma Linda, Fontana, and SB. I feel like Northern SB is the best place... I was looking at some properties by the 30 but this still seems a little shady. Are the areas by CSUSB the best? As the other cities, is it safe to assume that commuting against traffic (ie east in the AM and west in the PM) won't be much of a congestion problem?

Also, I'm used to living in the urban core areas and like that, but can't really figure out where that would be in SoCal because it's so spread out. I hear downtown Riverside has some aspects of this... is that true, and is it a good place for younger people? Is that a reasonable commute - looks like 15 miles - to where I'd be working?

Any other areas within 30 minutes would be interesting to hear. In addition to the better traffic flow, I would prefer, although it's not a requirement, to live closer to LA to take advantage of all that it has to offer, as opposed to in Redlands, etc., which seems very surburban and very Palms-Springs-ish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2007, 12:43 AM

96 posts, read 751,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajham View Post
I know this has been asked before, but I wanted to get a few different questions in. I am looking at moving to the IE from Arizona and am interested in the best communities that also offer a reasonable (I'm used to 10 min but understand t may be up to 25 min) commute to the 10/215. From experience, the 10 West is very congested in the morning and the 10 East is at night, so that would seem to exclude nicer places like Redlands. Is this a safe assumption? Is Redlands a nice place?

Also looking at Loma Linda, Fontana, and SB. I feel like Northern SB is the best place... I was looking at some properties by the 30 but this still seems a little shady. Are the areas by CSUSB the best? As the other cities, is it safe to assume that commuting against traffic (ie east in the AM and west in the PM) won't be much of a congestion problem?

Also, I'm used to living in the urban core areas and like that, but can't really figure out where that would be in SoCal because it's so spread out. I hear downtown Riverside has some aspects of this... is that true, and is it a good place for younger people? Is that a reasonable commute - looks like 15 miles - to where I'd be working?

Any other areas within 30 minutes would be interesting to hear. In addition to the better traffic flow, I would prefer, although it's not a requirement, to live closer to LA to take advantage of all that it has to offer, as opposed to in Redlands, etc., which seems very surburban and very Palms-Springs-ish.
I wish I could give you some pointers on nice places near the 215, but I'm not very familiar with the cities surrounding that freeway. However, I grew up in Fontana and know quite a bit about SB, so I can help there. The ONLY nice area in Fontana is North Fontana, because of all the new construction the've done. Be careful, though, because right where they've recently built $600,000 homes, it used to be the ghetto, where dead bodies were dumped, no joke. I'm not trying to sound gross or anything, but you need to be aware of what type of neighborhood you're dealing with. Even though there is a lot of new tracts up there now, there is still a lot of ghetto not far from there. If you have kids, that's the type of school system they'll be in.

Okay, SB is one of the most dangerous cities in the IE. There are little pockets of nice neighborhoods still left in it if you look hard enough, but as soon as you leave your cul-de-sac, it's bad. I strongly urge you to stay away from this city!

I know Riverside has it's good and it's bad. There are some very nice parts of Riverside, where tree-lined streets give way to beautiful homes. There are also parts of it I wouldn't want to get a flat tire in at night, if you get my drift. I'm not sure of locations, but a little research should tell you what you need to know.

My husband was saying that he thinks up by CSUSB is okay; he said to do your homework and make sure though, because he isn't certain. Unfortunately, the IE has a lot of run down cities you have to be careful of, so make sure you look closely into crime stats, etc. before making any final decisions. I live in a very safe, beautiful city in the IE, Rancho Cucamonga. It's close to the 10, but about a 10 mile drive to the 215. If you don't find anything else you like, maybe you could look here. Good luck to you, and welcome to Southern California.

Old 02-28-2007, 12:48 AM

777 posts, read 3,196,841 times
Quote:

I'll try to be as much help as I can. I live in Western Riverside county, right close to the Orange County border off of the 91. I live in a city called Norco. It is a horse community. Without traffic I can be to the 215/10 via the 91 (which turns into the 215 after downtown Riverside) in about 15 minutes.
Some parts of Redlands are very nice I think, and maybe not all that far from the 215/10 interchange. You would be going with traffic though in the morning, but I'm not sure how bad it gets that far out. I know as you get closer towards Orange County the traffic gets heavier.
I would not recommend Fontana at all. It is a very depressed area, except for maybe some of the newer subdivisions. My wife works in Fontana, for the electric utility here (SCE) and she was all over that area, and it is not good. She finally works in a different area now, and feels much safer.

Been to SB a few times. Doesn't look much better than Fontana IMO. Not familiar with Loma Linda other than the hospital, but I think it might be better than SB. Northern SB around the 30 is nicer than south though.
Cherry Valley might be a nice area, but not sure how long of a commute. I would stay away from downtown Riverside and Moreno Valley as well. downtown Riverside probably has more to offer entertainment wise though, but I'm not sure...I don't get out much

L.A. is a long way from the IE. You would be looking at a good 2 hour drive with light to moderate traffic, and much longer with heavy traffic. Seems like anymore rush hour lasts from 5AM till 10 PM. If it's not congestion, it's road construction, but one thing is sure...you will always be dealing with traffic here.

On a positive note living in the IE, especially northern SB, you can be in the mountians Big Bear, Running Springs) within about 1/2 hour, if you enjoy winter sports. In the summer if you leave early on a Saturday or Sunday morning (before 8 AM) you can be at the beach in about 45 minutes to an hour.

HTH a little.

Old 02-28-2007, 02:53 AM

"On a positive note living in the IE, especially northern SB, you can be in the mountians Big Bear, Running Springs) within about 1/2 hour, if you enjoy winter sports. In the summer if you leave early on a Saturday or Sunday morning (before 8 AM) you can be at the beach in about 45 minutes to an hour.

HTH a little."

So do people in the IE basically consider it a separate world from LA/Orange Cty? Is it presumed that many there don't frequent beaches or the other things LA has to offer? You're basically saying it's a 2-hr hike to downtown LA?... wow! I do recall driving through the IE once when going to downtown LA and thought it took less time, but that was in the late morning, so perhaps it was lighter then. Didn't hit much traffic until I got right downtown.

Also, what beach is 45 minutes away? Is this OC?

Don't know what HTH means, but thanks for your help!

"My husband was saying that he thinks up by CSUSB is okay; he said to do your homework and make sure though, because he isn't certain. Unfortunately, the IE has a lot of run down cities you have to be careful of, so make sure you look closely into crime stats, etc. before making any final decisions. I live in a very safe, beautiful city in the IE, Rancho Cucamonga. It's close to the 10, but about a 10 mile drive to the 215. If you don't find anything else you like, maybe you could look here. Good luck to you, and welcome to Southern California."

Thanks... I don't have kids and don't plan on it, so I understand, no offense, that the schools aren't the greatest. I agree that from what I hear, the IE is basically not that nice overall. This isn't my personal opinion from the little I've seen, but I haven't spent that much time around the area, and people tell me the same thing you're saying. I hear Colton in particular is bad?

Also, it seems there is a lot of high-priced real estate in Corona... is this a misconception? Although the 91 seems among the busier of the freeways. Rancho seems nice and not that far away, and in my preferred direction from SB. How long do you think it would take to get to the 10/215 in AM and/or PM drive, considering it's against the flow? Also, what is the problem with downtown Riverside - is it the usual crime issues? I'd be much more tolerant to general noise and what have you (ie: common downtown issues) if I didn't have to worry about getting mugged like I feel is coming whenever I walk around SB. That's also why I thought N. SB by the university (or any other university) would be good.

Thanks to you also for your advice

Last edited by ajham; 02-28-2007 at 02:55 AM.. Reason: Add

Old 02-28-2007, 03:46 AM

777 posts, read 3,196,841 times
Quote:
"On a positive note living in the IE, especially northern SB, you can be in the mountians Big Bear, Running Springs) within about 1/2 hour, if you enjoy winter sports. In the summer if you leave early on a Saturday or Sunday morning (before 8 AM) you can be at the beach in about 45 minutes to an hour.

HTH a little."

So do people in the IE basically consider it a separate world from LA/Orange Cty? Is it presumed that many there don't frequent beaches or the other things LA has to offer? You're basically saying it's a 2-hr hike to downtown LA?... wow! I do recall driving through the IE once when going to downtown LA and thought it took less time, but that was in the late morning, so perhaps it was lighter then. Didn't hit much traffic until I got right downtown.

Also, what beach is 45 minutes away? Is this OC?

Don't know what HTH means, but thanks for your help!
OH sorry HTH = Hope This Helps

Depending on where you are in the IE, the drive might be less to downtown LA, but it will still be a good hour at least.

As far as the IE being it's own world from LA/OC....maybe I guess. Lots of folks, myself included commute to Orange County from the IE. Not sure of the number of commuters to LA.

Yes 45 minutes to an OC beach. From where I live it is 30 miles to Santa Ana where I work, and probably an additional 15 miles further to the beach from there. The IE is gigantic as you know. SB county goes from the AZ border all the way to the NV border, so it covers a lot of area. Some parts of SB county border on LA and OC counties as well.

Welcome to CA. I on the other hand want to get out of here Looking at MT, WY, and ID.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:00 AM

43 posts, read 312,864 times
Loma Linda and Redlands both offer a 10 minute max. commute to the 10/215 interchange and thats on surface streets. From Yucaipa (East of Redlands) You could be there in 20 minutes on Surface streets.
I would not consider any part of San Bernardino, Colton, Rialto, Bloomington or Fontana. The crime statistics seem to be better east of the interchange.

Old 02-28-2007, 10:22 AM

"My husband was saying that he thinks up by CSUSB is okay; he said to do your homework and make sure though, because he isn't certain. Unfortunately, the IE has a lot of run down cities you have to be careful of, so make sure you look closely into crime stats, etc. before making any final decisions. I live in a very safe, beautiful city in the IE, Rancho Cucamonga. It's close to the 10, but about a 10 mile drive to the 215. If you don't find anything else you like, maybe you could look here. Good luck to you, and welcome to Southern California."

Thanks... I don't have kids and don't plan on it, so I understand, no offense, that the schools aren't the greatest. I agree that from what I hear, the IE is basically not that nice overall. This isn't my personal opinion from the little I've seen, but I haven't spent that much time around the area, and people tell me the same thing you're saying. I hear Colton in particular is bad?

Also, it seems there is a lot of high-priced real estate in Corona... is this a misconception? Although the 91 seems among the busier of the freeways. Rancho seems nice and not that far away, and in my preferred direction from SB. How long do you think it would take to get to the 10/215 in AM and/or PM drive, considering it's against the flow? Also, what is the problem with downtown Riverside - is it the usual crime issues? I'd be much more tolerant to general noise and what have you (ie: common downtown issues) if I didn't have to worry about getting mugged like I feel is coming whenever I walk around SB. That's also why I thought N. SB by the university (or any other university) would be good.

Thanks to you also for your advice[/quote]

Well, if you don't have to worry about the school system, it'll definitely help make your decision easier. Yes, Colton is bad. Colton, SB, Rialto, Fontana, and Moreno Valley are all cities to stay away from. Yes, Corona is pricey. It didn't used to be nearly as expensive, but ever since the construction boom there, it's sky-rocketed. I personally don't think it's worth the money to live there, only because outside of all the new housing tracts and mansions up on the hills, there's a lot of run down city to deal with. I've heard rumors of quite a bit of gang activity in these parts, but I don't know that for a fact.

Rancho Cucamonga is pricey as well, but you get what you pay for here, unlike a lot of other pricey cities, IMO. This city is great, with tons of parks, recreational activities, nice roads, very clean and kept up, etc. EVERY city has it's bad parts, but Rancho's "bad area" is very small, compared to a lot of other cities. Basically, as long as you stay above Foothill, you'll be good. We also border Alta Loma, which is a tiny, ritzy city nestled at the base of the mountains. If you can afford it, it's the place to live. It would also be slightly colser to the 215.

In Rancho, you'd ony be within a 5 mile drive to 3 major malls, and only minutes from the 10 and 210 freeways (I sound like a real estate agent!). I don't know exactly what your commute time would be to the 215 from Rancho, but my guess would be approx. 1/2 an hour, since it's about 10 miles away. I'll ask my husband, though, and let you know, since he used to drive that all the time for work.

As for Riverside, I wish I were only talking about noise. Unfortunately, there is quite a bit of crime and gang activity in certain parts of Riverside. Not all parts, so you Riverside lovers, don't hate. Like I said before, it's a very old city with some really nice parts; you just have to be careful and do your homework well. To give you an example, my sister-in-law is an elementary school teacher in Riverside. She tells me that many of the students at her school don't even have an address, because they live in their cars with their parents. She says that the poverty level in the surrounding area where she works is unreal. So, yes, you can find nice areas, but you may also deal with this.

I wish you luck and hope you find the right place for you. If there are any more questions I can answer, just let me know. Oh, and I'll ask about the commute time from Rancho Cucamonga to the 215 and let you know.

Old 02-28-2007, 04:40 PM

101 posts, read 137,376 times
I live in the IE (own home)
My question is do you 'need' to buy a home in the IE now? I really dont think its the best time to be buying a home in SoCal right now, it's a declining market. IE will get hit the worst soon. Why would oy pay 600k for a home in Rancho Cucamong (wanna B Irvine) when the same hoe will prob be up for sale for 100k less in about 1-2 years.
I wold say come down to Socal, rent a nice place and wait for the market to drop to then buy your home.
I work with a guy who moved from NYC to LA searching for riches. He found the riches, makes 130k, but he still cant afford the home he wants.

Old 02-28-2007, 07:12 PM

Yeah, I won't be buying a house... you're right, I figure the market will level out and I might not be here (at least in the IE) long enough (1-3 yrs) to make it worthwhile.

Finally, what do you think would be a good figure to pay for a rental in the areas you suggested - primarily the small area right by CSUSB, LL, Redlands, and Rancho? I'm paying $1000/month for a 750sqft penthouse (w/ free utilities) in central Phoenix, which I thought was similar to SoCal in its ridiculous appreciation, but it seems anything under $1300 is the areas you mention is a dump or in a bad area.

Old 03-02-2007, 12:05 AM

Ajham, I asked my husband about the drive from Rancho Cucamonga to the 215. He said it's only about 15 minutes, except on Fridays when you hit traffic going to Vegas, which can then take about 30-45 min. Also, rents will vary from about $800-$1050 for a one bedroom ( you'll most likely pay electric and possibly water), but you can get a pretty decent price for a studio if you want to go that route. Check out www.forrent.com, www.apartmentguide.com, and www.apartments.com to get a better idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties