Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 06:34 PM

1,316 posts, read 3,903,785 times

Advertisements

When I lived in Santa Monica, the rule of thumb was 15 miles in from the coast the air was slightly better..any parts of Riverside and San Bernadino counties where the air is better? My husband goes nuts when the Santa Annas blow our way (LA)...he sneezes like crazy - is it always that way out there?
what times of day are the best for outdoor activities?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 07:14 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Air quality here is superb. But they do scalp the golf courses in October so for about a month, if you have allergies, you will be kind of miserable. We don't get any smog or fog. It can't seem to make its way over the mountains. I drive into Riverside almost everyday and our valley will be gorgeous and nice weather, but when I get out to the Cabazon area it will be very different and you can see/feel the change.

Old 06-01-2009, 12:04 PM

4 posts, read 17,271 times
Default Green in the Coachella Valley--Palm Springs to Indio

For any and all information about the green and sustainable happenings in the Coachella Valley (Palm Springs, Palm Desert, La Quinta, Indio, etc.) then go to Coachella Valley Green - Home It is a free resource for local residents and businesses.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:22 PM

3 posts, read 12,926 times
Default Unfortunately Air is BAD in Palm Springs

Maybe in the distant past the air quality was better. But, unfortunately the air is bad because smog blows through the pass from the LA area. You can check the air daily, and historical averages at these links:

Air Quality Maps

AIRNow - Air Quality Conditions & Forecasts - Coachella Vly, CA

The Coachella Valley is one of the worst air quality districts in the nation and special research is going on here.

Old 07-14-2009, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HikingBikingSwimming View Post
Maybe in the distant past the air quality was better. But, unfortunately the air is bad because smog blows through the pass from the LA area. You can check the air daily, and historical averages at these links:

Air Quality Maps

AIRNow - Air Quality Conditions & Forecasts - Coachella Vly, CA

The Coachella Valley is one of the worst air quality districts in the nation and special research is going on here.
I beg to differ. I actually live here in the valley. We have NO smog here. Our air quality is superb.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I just checked your sources and they are showing the air quality in the Coachella Valley to be very good. I am glad you posted those sites for us to check. You might want to check them yourself.

Old 07-15-2009, 03:36 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
I beg to differ. I actually live here in the valley. We have NO smog here. Our air quality is superb.

EDIT: As a matter of fact, I just checked your sources and they are showing the air quality in the Coachella Valley to be very good. I am glad you posted those sites for us to check. You might want to check them yourself.

The previous poster's map only showed the forcast for ONE DAY.

The fact of the matter is that the Coachella Valley does NOT have superb air quality. Yes, it's better than what they have in Riverside and maybe even Los Angeles....and the long term trend is that air quality is improving all over SoCal as well as in the US more generally.

However, the Coachella Valley still has quite a few days that exceed the Federal air quality standards.

Historical Data

Old 07-15-2009, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The previous poster's map only showed the forcast for ONE DAY.

The fact of the matter is that the Coachella Valley does NOT have superb air quality. Yes, it's better than what they have in Riverside and maybe even Los Angeles....and the long term trend is that air quality is improving all over SoCal as well as in the US more generally.

However, the Coachella Valley still has quite a few days that exceed the Federal air quality standards.

Historical Data
I checked your site and there are very few days out of each of those years that the air quality has been moderate or less than superb. There is still no data to suggest that Coachella Valley air quality is "bad" or "the worst in the nation" or "horrible". We do not have smog in the CV and I'd say our air quality is pretty damn good compared to most places. In fact, I'd classify our air quality as "superb".

Old 07-15-2009, 06:51 PM

1,687 posts, read 6,071,857 times
Try these sources from the state of California ARB for air quality info.

They show the number of days annually that different air quality monitors exceeded the state and federal standards for ozone during the last 20 years. Ozone is the main constituent of smog.

Palm Springs (measured at the fire station)
2008 - 51 days over the federal standard
2007 - 58 days over the federal standard
2006 - 61 days over the federal standard
AQDSITEMYR Display

Compare that to Fresno (measured at Sierra SkyPark on Herndon Avenue)
2008 - 39 days over the federal standard
2007 - 18 days over the federal standard
2006 - 54 days over the federal standard
AQDSITEMYR Display

Or even compare it to Bakersfield (measured near Stockdale Highway and Highway 99)
2008 - 40 days over the federal standard
2007 - 25 days over the federal standard
2006 - 79 days over the federal standard
AQDSITEMYR Display

Old 07-15-2009, 07:21 PM

30,894 posts, read 36,941,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FresnoFacts View Post
Try these sources from the state of California ARB for air quality info.

They show the number of days annually that different air quality monitors exceeded the state and federal standards for ozone during the last 20 years. Ozone is the main constituent of smog.

Palm Springs (measured at the fire station)
2008 - 51 days over the federal standard
2007 - 58 days over the federal standard
2006 - 61 days over the federal standard
AQDSITEMYR Display

Compare that to Fresno (measured at Sierra SkyPark on Herndon Avenue)
2008 - 39 days over the federal standard
2007 - 18 days over the federal standard
2006 - 54 days over the federal standard
AQDSITEMYR Display

Or even compare it to Bakersfield (measured near Stockdale Highway and Highway 99)
2008 - 40 days over the federal standard
2007 - 25 days over the federal standard
2006 - 79 days over the federal standard
AQDSITEMYR Display

Thanks FresnoFacts. Your data are better than mine and speak for themselves.

Old 07-15-2009, 07:37 PM

14,076 posts, read 20,523,376 times
The air quality in the valley is only better because they put up those big fans around Whitewater to blow the smog back into LA. When it gets really, really hot, they turn them around to cool Palm Springs.

Last edited by stillkit; 07-15-2009 at 07:38 PM.. Reason: change wording
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties