Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2007, 12:20 AM

8 posts, read 50,178 times

Advertisements

What do you think about Perris, CA? We are considering buying a new home there http://www.kbhomes.com/Community.aspx?CommID=00425418 (broken link).

We took a look last weekend and as soon as we turned in to Evans from Ramona the communities looked real nice. On this community, they are building a huge park and an Elementary School right next to this community. If I heard correctly, they said they were building a new shopping center near buy or Mall, not sure what?

It is real close to Lake Perris, should there be any concerns that lake every breaking?

How are the schools? my kids need need special ed. they have Oral/Motor Apraxia and need lots of therapy. Is there any crime in this specific area/streets. I would like to avoid living or driving by hot neighborhoods.

Here in Anaheim, my neighborhood is very calm. Very fortunate, but just a few lights down there are gangs, which I haven't seen any violence since I moved here 5 years ago. Just graffitii. We can drive and walk around here without worrying of anybody bothering you.

We still have equity (not much) on our house in Anaheim and want to use it before home prices drop even more.

I own a Landscape/Maintenance Company together with my brother, and most of our business is in Costa Mesa, Newport, and Laguna Beach areas. I still want to service my customers and will need to commute here everyday, while I can build a new clientelle base in the I.E. for myself or buy out another company.

How is the commute to the Beach cities?

Has anyone used the toll roads? can it get costly?

What about Ortega Hwy? Has anyone used this to get to the coast/ 5/405 fwy's

We can't afford a home more than $400K, but we always dreamed to live in a new home and this almost 3K sq.ft. home is in our budget.

Can you help? I'm going crazy here! What is your opinion?

Old 05-18-2007, 01:11 AM

73 posts, read 448,927 times
I was a skydiver at Perris Valley with 40+ jumps from 2001-2003. Although I didn't live there I frequently visited on the weekends. The nice thing about the areas is that it is much less congested than the OC metro region. Perris is very popular with motorcycle/chopper riders. It has a small wild-west town feel. The old-timers are probably protective of their turf, stemming from the biker gang attitude. Just a couple miles north of old town Perris there are some new shopping centers, with plenty of modern civilization amenities to support a big city lifestyle. If you move to Perris, the local skydiving center is world-class so I'd highly suggest hanging out there just to watch and have fun. Famous Hollywood stars come there to celebrate their 21st birthday with a leap from the aircraft.

Old 05-18-2007, 01:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpbear View Post
I was a skydiver at Perris Valley with 40+ jumps from 2001-2003. Although I didn't live there I frequently visited on the weekends. The nice thing about the areas is that it is much less congested than the OC metro region. Perris is very popular with motorcycle/chopper riders. It has a small wild-west town feel. The old-timers are probably protective of their turf, stemming from the biker gang attitude. Just a couple miles north of old town Perris there are some new shopping centers, with plenty of modern civilization amenities to support a big city lifestyle. If you move to Perris, the local skydiving center is world-class so I'd highly suggest hanging out there just to watch and have fun. Famous Hollywood stars come there to celebrate their 21st birthday with a leap from the aircraft.
Thanks for your reply...I don't know what fun is anymore, but will love to try to enjoy myself while the Mrs. goes shopping

We are still undecided

Old 05-18-2007, 07:16 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork View Post
What do you think about Perris, CA? We are considering buying a new home there http://www.kbhomes.com/Community.aspx?CommID=00425418 (broken link).

We took a look last weekend and as soon as we turned in to Evans from Ramona the communities looked real nice. On this community, they are building a huge park and an Elementary School right next to this community. If I heard correctly, they said they were building a new shopping center near buy or Mall, not sure what?

It is real close to Lake Perris, should there be any concerns that lake every breaking?

How are the schools? my kids need need special ed. they have Oral/Motor Apraxia and need lots of therapy. Is there any crime in this specific area/streets. I would like to avoid living or driving by hot neighborhoods.

Here in Anaheim, my neighborhood is very calm. Very fortunate, but just a few lights down there are gangs, which I haven't seen any violence since I moved here 5 years ago. Just graffitii. We can drive and walk around here without worrying of anybody bothering you.

We still have equity (not much) on our house in Anaheim and want to use it before home prices drop even more.

I own a Landscape/Maintenance Company together with my brother, and most of our business is in Costa Mesa, Newport, and Laguna Beach areas. I still want to service my customers and will need to commute here everyday, while I can build a new clientelle base in the I.E. for myself or buy out another company.

How is the commute to the Beach cities?

Has anyone used the toll roads? can it get costly?

What about Ortega Hwy? Has anyone used this to get to the coast/ 5/405 fwy's

We can't afford a home more than $400K, but we always dreamed to live in a new home and this almost 3K sq.ft. home is in our budget.

Can you help? I'm going crazy here! What is your opinion?
I lived in Moreno Valley (just north of Perris) up until a few years ago so I know the area well. I'm not sure if you know this but they have drained Lake Perris down quite a bit because of concerns the earthen dam would burst with a moderate earthquake. I saw a computer model of what would happen if the dam broke and it showed a wall of water going all the way to Lake Elsinore I could never understand why they allowed all of those homes to be built (I believe it's called May Ranch subdivision) across the road from that dam. Perris has it's share of gangbangers but the nice thing is the sheriff is the police force in town (the city PD was disbanded a few years ago) and these folks know how to deal with that problem. The schools out in that area aren't the best in the west so be ready for that. There really isn't a whole lot to do out there and the lake, notwithstanding the large draw down, hasn't been all that terrific a place for family fun for some time now although they do have a public offroad motorcycle track on the grounds. The commute into OC and home again will make you cry like a baby. It was horrid when I was doing it 15 years ago and I know it hasn't gotten better! The toll roads are nice but spendy at prime time and I have seen long lines of traffic trying to merge onto the 91 parking lot in the evening. The temps in the summertime will be substantially higher than you are used to in Anaheim and it will dip into the 30s in the wintertime. If you are adamant about the move keep in mind that builders are desperate to move inventory so be sure to wear your very best negotiating hat and get them to come down on their asking price as much as possible. Prices are dropping like a rock and nobody can say when it will change and start heading back up so you do not want to pay top dollar. I have seen some builders throw in amenities up the yo including swimming pools to get these houses sold. I think you could find a decent market out there in your line of work and people are always selling lawn care business' in that area. I did very well in the swimming pool maintenance business in Moreno Valley for many years. Good luck in your decision.

Old 05-18-2007, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
I lived in Moreno Valley (just north of Perris) up until a few years ago so I know the area well. I'm not sure if you know this but they have drained Lake Perris down quite a bit because of concerns the earthen dam would burst with a moderate earthquake. I saw a computer model of what would happen if the dam broke and it showed a wall of water going all the way to Lake Elsinore I could never understand why they allowed all of those homes to be built (I believe it's called May Ranch subdivision) across the road from that dam. Perris has it's share of gangbangers but the nice thing is the sheriff is the police force in town (the city PD was disbanded a few years ago) and these folks know how to deal with that problem. The schools out in that area aren't the best in the west so be ready for that. There really isn't a whole lot to do out there and the lake, notwithstanding the large draw down, hasn't been all that terrific a place for family fun for some time now although they do have a public offroad motorcycle track on the grounds. The commute into OC and home again will make you cry like a baby. It was horrid when I was doing it 15 years ago and I know it hasn't gotten better! The toll roads are nice but spendy at prime time and I have seen long lines of traffic trying to merge onto the 91 parking lot in the evening. The temps in the summertime will be substantially higher than you are used to in Anaheim and it will dip into the 30s in the wintertime. If you are adamant about the move keep in mind that builders are desperate to move inventory so be sure to wear your very best negotiating hat and get them to come down on their asking price as much as possible. Prices are dropping like a rock and nobody can say when it will change and start heading back up so you do not want to pay top dollar. I have seen some builders throw in amenities up the yo including swimming pools to get these houses sold. I think you could find a decent market out there in your line of work and people are always selling lawn care business' in that area. I did very well in the swimming pool maintenance business in Moreno Valley for many years. Good luck in your decision.
WOW! thanks for your input...you are saving me lots of tears here I think we are going to stick around here for a while.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:02 AM

Quote:
I lived in Moreno Valley (just north of Perris) up until a few years ago so I know the area well. I'm not sure if you know this but they have drained Lake Perris down quite a bit because of concerns the earthen dam would burst with a moderate earthquake. I saw a computer model of what would happen if the dam broke and it showed a wall of water going all the way to Lake Elsinore I could never understand why they allowed all of those homes to be built (I believe it's called May Ranch subdivision) across the road from that dam.
Would you have link to that simulation?

Old 05-18-2007, 11:36 AM

2,896 posts, read 6,633,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyWork View Post
Would you have link to that simulation?
It was in the local newspaper years ago. It's the Riverside Press Enterprise if you would like to try and do some research. I don't want to discourage you from buying a new home there and in fact if you can get your business up and going in the Inland Empire you may find it was a good move. I will say that the commute into and from OC is probably the deal breaker though.... I can't say enough how much that takes out of you. Keep in mind that the Ortega looks like a great alternative but thousands have already figured that out and it's a two lane road to the base of the mountain from Perris (which can drive ya nuts stuck behind a slow poke) and the Ortega is a twisty two lane road also. Coming home traffic can get stopped up for quite some time at the three way stop at the base of the mountain.

Old 05-18-2007, 09:03 PM

Quote:
It was in the local newspaper years ago. It's the Riverside Press Enterprise if you would like to try and do some research. I don't want to discourage you from buying a new home there and in fact if you can get your business up and going in the Inland Empire you may find it was a good move. I will say that the commute into and from OC is probably the deal breaker though.... I can't say enough how much that takes out of you. Keep in mind that the Ortega looks like a great alternative but thousands have already figured that out and it's a two lane road to the base of the mountain from Perris (which can drive ya nuts stuck behind a slow poke) and the Ortega is a twisty two lane road also. Coming home traffic can get stopped up for quite some time at the three way stop at the base of the mountain.
I understand and thanks for looking out. I will do some more research and I will take another trip overthere this weekend and I may drive around at night just to see how it is.

I've been to nurseries on Ortega from the 5fwy and not that far I've experienced traffic.

Thanks again

Old 05-18-2007, 09:42 PM

215 posts, read 985,166 times
Dont Go To Perris I Grow Up There Nothing But Riots At High School Nothing For Children Skating Rink,pools,chuck E Cheese,etc... There Is Nothing Will Never Be Nothing 80 Percent Mexcans They Closed Down Albersons And Stater Bros For Cardans And La Fiesta Dont Go...

Old 05-19-2007, 11:03 AM

58 posts, read 408,651 times
I grew up in the Fullerton area, and we moved to the Inland area 21 years ago due to home affordability.

Our first home was in Fontana and was brand new. We moved within three years due to gang problems. Don't be overly drawn in by new home marketing. It all looks so gorgeous, but you must look at the big picture and the surrounding area.

We then moved to an older home in Riverside and have been here 17 years. We're much happier in an established city, instead of in the new home area we were in when we were in Fontana. A new home is wonderful, but there's a lot to be said for the quality construction that went on in the 'old days'. A solid, established city with centralized services is also something that's worth much.

Perris has a bad reputation out here. I know that the education system there isn't well thought of, and to be frank I happen to know a lady who is here from Mexico who told me her opinion of Perris. Her husband works out there, but she stated that she wouldn't move there. The irony is that this particular lady lives in a not-so-good neighborhood in Rubidoux (over the bridge from Riverside), but even she ( a lady from a third world country) prefers that area to Perris. The new homes out there are great, but the area is not well planned overall. The roads there don't support all the building they're doing, among other problems. It's known for crime and gangs.

I would stay in Anaheim. Commutes are killer, and you spend hours and hours of each day on the freeway. Don't worry about losing your equity. This house lost a lot of value at one time in the early nineties, but it's now worth three times what we paid for it in 1990.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties