Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2010, 02:02 AM

1 posts, read 3,566 times

Advertisements

Hello!
I currently live in Las Vegas, Nevada. My career chosen path is dead out here. I have a prospect to chose from in Riverside, CA. I keep hearing its not a great place to live, its the same as the ghetto parts of North Las Vegas. Riverside county is almost 10,000 square miles, that's a lot. What is it like? property taxes on homes and land? Average price of gas, food a and a gallon of milk? Any pictures of what the town looks like? Whats shopping like out there? Best and cleanest places to live in this county? Peaceful nice areas?

Las Vegas is pretty diverse. Anything you need you can find on any street corner, and if you miss it there is another one every 20 ft (lol). Anywhere in the city on the highway in 20 minutes. 50 square miles and its packed. Different areas to live in, overall safe. Very basic way of life. Thats what I'm used to, thats what I like. The weather is almost perfect, except my allergies. After doing research on home buying in CA (first time home buyer) the houses seem to be in the same price range as they are here in Vegas. But I noticed the houses in CA are like built in 1957 - 1984 and have forced air for heat. Basic changes and such. My sister lives in SImi VAlley, I think its beautiful, but weird. I can usually pick up on new areas pretty quickly and learn my way around. But the houses I found for sale in that county, seem to be in hills and valley's. Quite different, weird and flood impractical.

Thanks guys
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2010, 08:40 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,975,155 times
What reasons are people giving for Riverside not being a great place to live? How could 300,000 people stand living there if it's "not great"?

There are "ghetto" parts of Riverside, and "nice" parts. Nobody says you have to live in the ghetto ones.

If you've ever been to Los Angeles, it's part of the blob.

The climate in Riverside is not as hot as Las Vegas, not as cold as Vegas, and rainier than Vegas.

There are houses built after 1984 if tract-homes are what you are looking for.

Old 04-09-2010, 01:07 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,386,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hemi View Post
I keep hearing its not a great place to live, its the same as the ghetto parts of North Las Vegas.
Both Vegas and Riverside have some neighborhoods with ugly tract homes built in the last 40 years, but that's pretty much where the similarity ends.

For me Riverside has history, Vegas has entertainment - but if you want entertainment in Riverside, it's just an hour into LA!

Old 04-09-2010, 07:54 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,988,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 300hemi View Post
Riverside county is almost 10,000 square miles, that's a lot. What is it like?
Hot, dry desert. Sound familiar?

Old 04-09-2010, 02:16 PM

13 posts, read 36,976 times
Riverside is not bad at all unless you go to Rubidoux, Casa Blanca, and Eastside off 14th street. Other than that it's very nice. Especially Canyon Crest, very beautiful

Old 04-09-2010, 10:25 PM

123 posts, read 357,998 times
Canyon Crest is a lovely area. Have you considered Redlands? It's not that much farther than Riverside. It has a lot of classy, craftsman style homes with gorgeous neighborhoods. Riverside has quaint areas too especially around the college. Riverside County is not the same as Riverside the city. There are lots of towns in the county. Whereabouts are you looking? If your job prospect is in Riverside (city) you could travel as far as Calimesa/Beaumont/Banning if you want to be in "the country". It's about a 30 minute commute. A little longer during peak hours.

It's definitely wetter and greener than Las Vegas, but not as hot although it frequently gets in the low 100's in summer and the 40's in winter. Riverside doesn't get snow but it's less than an hour from the mountains where we get plenty and there are several ski resorts or places for romantic get-aways. The beaches are only an hour away in the opposite direction, so the city is centrally located.

As for gas prices it varies. We pay $2.99 for our gas in Redlands at the ARCO, but it can get as high as $3.16 in some areas. I'd say the average is $3.05. As far as food goes...it depends on what you eat and where you shop. We shop at Super Wal-Mart and last week a gallon of fat-free was $2.09.

Hope this helps...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties