Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2023, 03:00 PM

7 posts, read 5,532 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I moved to downtown San Diego four months ago and I was surprised to find it way worse than expected. I won't go into that but I will say that the extremely loud motorcycles and cars on Market St. are a huge pain. They race up and down the street making car alarms go off at all hours and though this noise is literally illegal, SDPD has been no help at all. I encountered three bikers at Albertsons last week and they actually made car alarms go off when they arrived and when they left. I emailed the mayor one 3am I was startled awake and here's some of what I wrote:

Noise Complaints
City of San Diego Municipal Code, Section 59.5.04 states reduced noise levels must be maintained within the City of San Diego generally between the hours of 10 p.m. - 7 a.m. in residential zones

Vehicle Code 21750. Adequate muffler required
27150 (a) Every motor vehicle subject to registration shall at all times be equipped with an adequate muffler in constant operation and properly maintained to prevent any excessive or unusual noise, and no muffler or exhaust system shall be equipped with a cutout, bypass, or similar device.

Vehicle Code 27151. Modification of exhaust systems
(a) No person shall modify the exhaust system of a motor vehicle in a manner which will amplify or increase the noise emitted by the motor of the vehicle so that the vehicle is not in compliance with the provisions of Section 27150 or exceeds the noise limits established for the type of vehicle in Article 2.5 (commencing with Section 27200). No person shall operate a motor vehicle with an exhaust system so modified.
(b) For the purposes of exhaust systems installed on motor vehicles with a manufacturer’s gross vehicle weight rating of less than 6,000 pounds, other than motorcycles, a sound level of 95 dbA or less, when tested in accordance with Society of Automotive Engineers Standard J1169 May 1998, complies with this section. Motor vehicle exhaust systems or parts thereof include, but are not limited to, nonoriginal exhaust equipment.

There are additional regulations as well so we recommend reviewing the California Vehicle Code for important sections related to exhaust noise levels. For example Section 2115.3 prohibits installing “whistle-tip” or similar devices which emit a high pitched or shrieking noise when the vehicle is in operation.

Maybe SD should look to NYC for guidance:

Roadside Sound Meter and Camera that is Activated by Loud Mufflers Now Sending Notices to Vehicle Owners
February 22, 2022

The New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) today announced that a small pilot program is underway that includes the use of a roadside sound meter and camera to capture evidence of vehicles emitting noise in violation of New York State’s Vehicle and Traffic Law and the City’s Noise Code.

“Vehicles that emit obnoxious levels of noise in violation of state and city law have become a top quality of life concern for many New Yorkers and this technology offers some real promise in helping us to provide some relief for our neighbors,” DEP Commissioner Rit Aggarwala said. “We will monitor the pilot program closely and if it continues to show promise, we will look to expand it in the coming months.”

The sound meter and camera are installed adjacent to the roadway and are activated when they detect a noise at a distance of 50 feet or more that registers at or above 85 decibels. At that point a video is captured of the vehicle emitting the noise. DEP noise enforcement staff review the videos and mail a Notice to the owner of the vehicle.

But it's been a couple of weeks and these idiots are still going strong. If I make a petition would you guys sign it? And what do you think this really is? A relative thinks it's a drug running thing but I don't know because they're drawing a ton of attention to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2023, 03:18 PM

10,323 posts, read 6,871,441 times
Welcome to the site

Old 10-22-2023, 04:15 PM

5,754 posts, read 4,711,382 times
I'll bet you're fun at parties.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:19 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,350,023 times
You might want to consider moving, because nothing will be done. So your choices are to get used to it or move. Downtown is noisy.

Old 10-22-2023, 04:20 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,350,023 times
New member, one post.

Last Activity: Today 02:01 PM

Old 10-22-2023, 04:23 PM

8,499 posts, read 6,908,457 times
It happens. Guy across the street has a motorcycle that’s so loud it sets off car alarms up and down the street.

Old 10-22-2023, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Welcome to the site
Thanks, I hope to have a good time here

Old 10-22-2023, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
I'll bet you're fun at parties.
I get that you're just being rude but how is that even relevant? If I was too sensitive or nitpicking we wouldn't have laws prohibiting excessive noise.

Old 10-22-2023, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
You might want to consider moving, because nothing will be done. So your choices are to get used to it or move. Downtown is noisy.
I know, and I'll move somewhere better as soon as my lease ends. Rent at my new place is way too high to deal with all of downtown SD's problems

Old 10-22-2023, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
New member, one post.

Last Activity: Today 02:01 PM
And?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego