Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-11-2007, 05:33 PM

17 posts, read 173,764 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks,

My wife and I retired about two years ago, and are thinking about relocating to the San Diego area from Colorado Springs because our oldest daughter and family are planning on moving there. Please no comments on grandparents following the grandkids (thanks). They are looking at the Poway area. The Ramona area (SDCE) looks close enough (30-45 minutes) where we can be available to help out with the grandkids if needed. That said, there seems to be more ranch style (1 level) homes available (more important for us old people) with fair square footage. I grew up in the SF Bay Area (San Leandro), and understand how the afternoon offshore breezes can moderate temperatures like the San Elijo area, but it looks like Ramona is just too far in-land like the central valley. I expect the temperatures will be much warmer (thank goodness for AC). Would appreciate any feedback on the Ramona area such as outdoor recreation (closest hunting & fishing), water problems (drought restrictions, wells versus city/community water), traffic, fire dangers, crime rates and where people shop (e.g., Home Depot and Grocery Stores). THANKS.

P.S. Anyone in the Ramona area thinking about moving to the Colorado Springs area, I might be able to provide you with some insights. Great area except this year, I just got too tired shoveling snow. Live on 3 wooded acres in a 4,000 sq. ft home in Monument which is about 17 miles north of Colorado Springs. Not looking forward to downsizing.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2007, 05:59 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
SDCE to Poway is definitely reasonable especially if you are not doing it during commuter hours.

SDCE is very upscale compared to Ramona proper, but Ramona has all the modern conveniences (grocery, drugstores, etc) Mira Mesa is only about 30-45 minutes away with all the stripmalls and big-box stores one could ever need.

Only downside to Ramona is the heat in summer (expect mid-90's from about late June - October) and slightly higher fire danger due to the large amount of dry grasses in the valley. Personally I like SDCE and if the lots were larger, I'd consider living out there too (I work on the east end of Poway so it would be an easy commute)

Old 02-11-2007, 08:33 PM

3,035 posts, read 14,434,974 times
SDCE is an excellent area if you have a reasonable commute for work into Poway/RB or one of the surrounding north county inland areas. Just about all other areas are too far. 1/4 acre mins there are really nice.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:45 PM

Smile Thanks For Feedback

Sassberto & Socketz,

Thanks for the feedback.

rxt1949

Old 02-12-2007, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 18,113 times
I have lived in Ramona for 40 years. I did try to move away a couple of times for a brief period, but I returned. Just can't seem to resist it!! Although, after reading your post--- it sounds to me like Poway would suit your needs better than Ramona. We most definatly do not get any off shore breeze here, and the temperatures are at least 5 degrees higher than reported in one of the previous posts. No hunting around here (than I am aware of) and fishing is a short ways away. THe crime here seems small (to me). I own a small business in Ramona in a pretty active part of town and at the end of the day I forgot to lock the door. Next morning I discovered my mistake. Thankfully, all was well!! I hope this info helps you, if you need to know anything else let me know.

Old 02-16-2007, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Thanks Rbb92065

RBB92065,

Thanks for your insight. Is there any problems with water (i.e., water rationing)? What kind of store or small business you have? May be in the area late April, and can stop by to say Hi.

rxt1949

Old 02-17-2007, 06:46 AM

"water rationing"

Not in San Diego. It never rains there, yet water is plentiful.

Thank the CA aqueduct system and the CO river for this....I now live in Texas and if the sun stays out for a week straight we're on water restrictions again.

Old 02-25-2007, 02:05 PM

4 posts, read 41,996 times
Default Moving to Ramona

Hello!
My father lived in Ramona for about 20 years. It is a wonderful place to live.
I am in a suburb of Los Angeles, and am constantly wishing I was in Ramona.

The only problem about Ramona I think is the proximity to the mall. (sounds shallow I know)
Not like I even go to the mall, but it is nice to know it is nearby.
Also, the major hospitals are down the hill.

The summers are really hot, I think a bit drier than the 100 degree heat here.
All in all, I would rather be in Ramona any day!

BTW My 84 year old dad moved to the mid west, and has to shovel snow!
It keeps him moving!!

Old 02-25-2007, 08:21 PM

Wink RE: THANKS Trisha

Thanks for sharing that your Dad enjoyed Ramona, as well as you did, when you got a chance. Your insights on lack of nearby shopping and medical facilities were appreciated. Bet your Dad wished he still lived in Ramona after shoveling all of that snow.

Our kids just returned from San Diego, and saw alot of areas. They liked Poway (4S) and Carlsbad. Seems alittle overwheming, but they are planning to go back for a more serious house hunt without any of their children (i.e., our grandkids). That said, we are waiting before putting our Colorado home on the market. Don't want to jump the gun, in case things go south on our kids plans to move.

Old 02-26-2007, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rxt1949 View Post
They liked Poway (4S) and Carlsbad.

Note that 4S is Rancho Bernardo. Poway is further east and actually borders Ramona to the west.

So from the 15:

RB/Carmel Mtn (same Zips, different names) line the 15 on both sides from Poway Rd all the way to the Pomerado Road exit near the mall.

Poway then sits to the East of RB

Ramona then sits to the East of Poway

Rancho PQ sits to the West of RB in about the same area as described along the 15 above

4S Ranch is as West as RB gets and has alot more of a coastal climate (i.e. 5-7 degrees cooler sometimes in the Summer) that the portion of RB on the east side of the 15.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego