Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2006, 12:00 PM

1 posts, read 3,587 times

Advertisements

hi there! i've been offered a job in california which would mean commuting between concord and walnut creek. i'm a 23 yr old guy, ive spent some time in usa but not in nothern california. i have a few questions if someone would be kind enouh to answer? i will probably be living in walnut creek or concord, but i don't drive, what is the public transport system like? the cost of living? any opinions would be much appreciated, i've read that jobs can be hard to come by but as i said i have already been offered the job. thanks in advance for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 AM

2,815 posts, read 12,996,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paultildsley View Post
hi there! i've been offered a job in california which would mean commuting between concord and walnut creek. i'm a 23 yr old guy, ive spent some time in usa but not in nothern california. i have a few questions if someone would be kind enouh to answer? i will probably be living in walnut creek or concord, but i don't drive, what is the public transport system like? the cost of living? any opinions would be much appreciated, i've read that jobs can be hard to come by but as i said i have already been offered the job. thanks in advance for any help!
Congratulations on your job offer Luckily for you, commuting between Concord and Walnut Creek shouldn't be much of a problem. The BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) trains go right through the heart of Walnut Creek and Concord and from either town, you can ride directly on to Oakland and San Francisco... and I believe there may even now be a connection to San Francisco International Airport, though I'm not sure if that's a reality yet. I haven't lived in the San Francisco East Bay since I sold my house there in 2000, but I used to live in Pittsburg (to the northeast of Concord) and take BART all the way to San Francisco back and forth every day for work. It's a very pleasant commute actually by train. Walnut Creek is exceptionally nice and it's very pedestrian friendly. Concord is also ok, but not quite as "posh" as Walnut Creek. The cost of living is high anywhere in the Bay Area, though without a car and those related expenses, you should be ok. I'd recommend finding an apartment somewhere in Walnut Creek or Concord near the BART train stations. And, my personal preference for living somewhere would be Walnut Creek because it's great for a person walking around, good restaurants, shopping, and just a very nice town.

Old 11-16-2006, 04:55 PM

5 posts, read 20,255 times
Yeah, If you don't drive you will have to live near BART. If you are used to driving then our public transit is pretty good. Everyone that is not from this area will tell you how bad the public trans is once they move here. I know people who have moved here from NYC and they have never owned a car. They were forced to purchase one upon moving here. The bus system is a joke, always at least five minutes late. Early morning buses (early means 5 a.m.) can be early by 5 to 15 minutes and will leave without you if you are not as early as they. I have never taken BART, and do not plan to, but have heard good things. However, you will have to take a bus to bart and that will be a hassle. Also, it is hard to take the bus to restaurants, shopping etc. as there are not that many stops. Also, there are alot of homeless people on the buses in the area. You really should look into getting a car, even if you do not drive it that often, just for shopping, etc. you will need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland