Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2023, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 306 times

Advertisements

WC has a far nicer downtown. Weather is far warmer in the summer and colder in the winter.
CV has a great school district, but be careful where you buy - some areas that are zoned for CV actually fall into the Hayward school district (generally, those south of 580), west of 580 falls in the SL school districts.
If you're into outdoor activities, we have lots of parks, including Lake Chabot with connects to miles of trails.

Most importantly, CV is not incorporated. We have no police department. Alameda County Sheriff is completely understaffed. For a town our size we should have about 20x the number of assigned officers. The CHP, who has an office here, is just not present.

Oh, can't forget traffic. Forget about going anywhere on a Friday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2023, 06:00 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times
OP, it depends on your idea of "better weather". CV will be cooler. WC roasts in the triple digits every September, and probably has occasional other bursts of heat waves like the rest of the Bay Area the last decade or so, but in WC the high temps are higher. IMO you're better off living were the Bay fog can reach you to cool things off. That would be Castro Valley.

Old 09-04-2023, 06:14 PM

10,351 posts, read 8,567,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
OP, it depends on your idea of "better weather". CV will be cooler. WC roasts in the triple digits every September, and probably has occasional other bursts of heat waves like the rest of the Bay Area the last decade or so, but in WC the high temps are higher. IMO you're better off living were the Bay fog can reach you to cool things off. That would be Castro Valley.
Having frequented both areas Ruth is right. Castro Valley has nicer weather. Mild is best description.
Walnut Creek can get quite warm.
Walnut Creek has a great downtown, much more upscale and bigger than Castro valley. But Castro Valley is ok and I think home prices are bit less than Walnut Creek.

I did see the op is 9 years old lol

Old 09-05-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post

I did see the op is 9 years old lol

I also see his/her location is London, though the OP post says Berkeley.

We've also been had by a necro-thread, people. From 2014, revived yesterday by a brand-new member.

Old 09-06-2023, 03:22 PM

7,325 posts, read 3,804,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k2rm View Post
WC has a far nicer downtown. Weather is far warmer in the summer and colder in the winter.
CV has a great school district, but be careful where you buy - some areas that are zoned for CV actually fall into the Hayward school district (generally, those south of 580), west of 580 falls in the SL school districts.
If you're into outdoor activities, we have lots of parks, including Lake Chabot with connects to miles of trails.

Most importantly, CV is not incorporated. We have no police department. Alameda County Sheriff is completely understaffed. For a town our size we should have about 20x the number of assigned officers. The CHP, who has an office here, is just not present.

Oh, can't forget traffic. Forget about going anywhere on a Friday.
Castro Valley's been dead to me since they closed Chabot Gun Club.

Old 09-06-2023, 07:19 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,814,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattja View Post
Castro Valley's been dead to me since they closed Chabot Gun Club.

You can always head over to the one in Richmond, not far from the refinery or there is between Petaluma & Tomales.

Old 09-06-2023, 08:33 PM

1,254 posts, read 1,054,214 times
What's up with all of these resurrected threads lately?

Old 09-07-2023, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apple92680 View Post
What's up with all of these resurrected threads lately?
I've never understood why some new members do this; they start their posting history by reviving necro-threads and posting on them. Not sure what the point is, when they could jump right in and contribute to currently active threads.

Old 09-07-2023, 10:00 PM

7,325 posts, read 3,804,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
You can always head over to the one in Richmond, not far from the refinery or there is between Petaluma & Tomales.
Chabot was such a nice setting.

Old 09-13-2023, 11:44 PM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
The thing about Walnut Creek is it has really good retail and restaurants, and a loop bus system that as far as I remember I haven’t been there in about a year and a half, is free. Which means you don’t really need to have a car to get to Whole Foods, Safeway or is there a Sprouts there now?

It might not be in downtown Walnut Creek.

And with all the talk about the weather in Walnut Creek, you actually have really pleasant evenings there. If it was me, and my choices were Walnut Creek or Castro Valley, I take Walnut Creek. We spent a lot of time in Castro Valley, but we spent a lot of time in a lot of other places too. And Castro Valley always kind of felt third choice. But it might’ve been all those damn trips to the HOA pital colored my view.

I liked Norman’s Grill. Outdoor seating was nice.

You should also check out Lafayette. It’s very nice, very walkable, lots of newer apartments. If I recall correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland