Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2016, 02:22 PM

55 posts, read 57,304 times

Advertisements

I have been looking for a house in affordable areas in Ca and have family in Napa. I live in so cal and looking to move that way. I've read a number discussions here and elsewhere on the clearlake and surrounding areas that speak of extreme crime, mexican mafia growing drugs in the area, lots of methheads, police that are corrupt and all sorts of things that make it sound like the kind of place that would be a nightmare to live in.

Heres the question....all the threads like that i have seen like that are one the order of 10 years old. Is it still like that or has it been cleaned up as i heard was in process at the time those discussions were recorded? Also, if it's still a bad place to live, what about nearby areas that are also reasonably priced like cobb, hidden valley, etc? I only ask because my financial situation is such i cannot afford to live anywhere else, at least not close to family. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2016, 02:58 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
There are a couple of more recent threads, within the last 3 years or so. Some people really like Clear Lake, but of course one needs to be able to either work from home or be retired, due to the job situation. There has been nothing about the Mexican mafia in the more recent threads. There's someone among our members who has lived in or near Cobb and loved it. I'll see if I can remember who that was, and rustle them up to post here.

Hidden Valley is a gated community, so it doesn't have some of the problems the Clear Lake area has. Just be aware, though, that there was a big fire that swept through that whole area a couple of years ago, and with the continued drought, the area will be somewhat fire-prone.

P.S. Word has it that some of the Napa wineries are expanding into the area, or plan to. This should bring some positive developments over time.

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 10-13-2016 at 03:29 PM..

Old 10-13-2016, 03:20 PM

Well thats good to hear ! (wine expansion) In fact my sister and niece live in napa because my niece is in the wine industry and my sister moved there to be near her. But yes, the wine industry will no doubt change any area it encroaches into in a positive way.

As to fires, that is indeed another worry. The entire area from napa on up past clearlake appears to be very wooded. Love that, but certainly don;t want to watch my house tiurn to cinders. I saw a portion below CL burned just a month or 2 back. Thank you for the reply. Oh, and i AM retired more or less.

Old 10-13-2016, 03:31 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by direstraights View Post
Well thats good to hear ! (wine expansion) In fact my sister and niece live in napa because my niece is in the wine industry and my sister moved there to be near her. But yes, the wine industry will no doubt change any area it encroaches into in a positive way.

As to fires, that is indeed another worry. The entire area from napa on up past clearlake appears to be very wooded. Love that, but certainly don;t want to watch my house tiurn to cinders. I saw a portion below CL burned just a month or 2 back. Thank you for the reply. Oh, and i AM retired more or less.
Yeah, I wonder about the winery expansion in view of the drought, though. I wonder if that will happen in the end, or if it's already begun, will it be sustainable. As far as the fire issue goes, I wonder if it would be possible to hang out in the area for a couple of days to talk to people and get their take on it.

Old 10-29-2016, 08:04 PM

42,839 posts, read 26,247,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Yeah, I wonder about the winery expansion in view of the drought, though. I wonder if that will happen in the end, or if it's already begun, will it be sustainable. As far as the fire issue goes, I wonder if it would be possible to hang out in the area for a couple of days to talk to people and get their take on it.
They will expand where ever they can get land with senior water rights, that's where all the water is going- to farm land where the owners have vested unlimited water use.

Old 10-29-2016, 10:45 PM

2,320 posts, read 1,868,064 times
my friend is from the Clearlake area, still has family and friends on Cobb (mountain?) and loves that area, sorry I ve moved away and don't know the details, but she would retire to Cobb if she could ( she's working in the bay area and is close to her grandkids there)...

Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAjerseychick View Post
my friend is from the Clearlake area, still has family and friends on Cobb (mountain?) and loves that area, sorry I ve moved away and don't know the details, but she would retire to Cobb if she could ( she's working in the bay area and is close to her grandkids there)...
Loves which area, clearlake or cobb? I've looked at cobb but it seems much more rural with a house here and there. Pretty much living in the deep woods there best i can tell from google earth. As to clearlake, anyone know what the better areas around the lake are? I take it the dumpiest area is the city of clearlake at the eastern lower area. Is the other side much better....kelseyville etc?

Old 12-12-2016, 03:56 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,940,258 times
Clearlake was still dumpy the last time I was there a couple years ago.

Old 12-20-2016, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Clearlake was still dumpy the last time I was there a couple years ago.
What I'd like to hear is not what the city of clearlake is like, but the difference between the different cities around the lake. Lucerne, kelseyville, etc etc. Which are best and how much better that the worse of the lake's perimeter, that being the city of CL itself apparently.

Old 03-27-2017, 05:08 PM

25 posts, read 35,854 times
This might be a little late, but here goes.

I have lived in Hidden Valley Lake for over 9 years. Lake County is a wonderful
place to live, especially the west side of the lake. Wineries are popping up everywhere. Clothes/furniture/Home Depot type shopping is hard and most of us go into Ukiah or Santa Rosa as Lake County doesn't have much shopping. It's rural here so if you like excitement and night
Life it's not a good place for that. But people are super friendly and always ready to lend a hand.

As for Clearlake, ugh. It's the blight of Lake County. It's not dangerous just full of drunks and homeless. There are efforts to clean it up and it could be a fantastic lakeside community but it's got a ways to go. I wouldn't live there.

The fires have taken a toll but Cobb is beautiful. A lot of people commute down the hill for work but roads are pretty icy in winter. Kelseyville is very desirable, Hidden Valley is utopia, Lakeport is nice. The east side of the lake is ok but the west side is more desirable.

Hope this helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland