Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:00 PM

1,289 posts, read 937,330 times

Advertisements

Any thoughts one way or another?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:02 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,592,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Are there any plans for evacuation?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:06 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
If they nuke us hipsters and techies will still overpay for housing

Old 08-08-2017, 10:11 PM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
I'm having a hard time believing my ears today - news about nuclear war threats, building bunkers, updating information about what to do after a nuclear bomb strike, and Trump's stance of being aggressive. Sheesh! Is there nothing that can be done about the USA President who started his reign by poking a stick at other countries and who now is reaping the benefits of those stupid actions?

What is wrong with the man? Is he thinking that he'll be safe and who cares about everyone else?

Old 08-08-2017, 11:53 PM

4,369 posts, read 3,721,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lieneke View Post
I'm having a hard time believing my ears today - news about nuclear war threats, building bunkers, updating information about what to do after a nuclear bomb strike, and Trump's stance of being aggressive. Sheesh! Is there nothing that can be done about the USA President who started his reign by poking a stick at other countries and who now is reaping the benefits of those stupid actions?

What is wrong with the man? Is he thinking that he'll be safe and who cares about everyone else?
I don't know how we can be afraid of North Korea. I bet their military and missile delivery system is so antiquated that we could beat them with circa 1955 tech.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:04 AM

7,489 posts, read 4,949,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perma Bear View Post
I don't know how we can be afraid of North Korea. I bet their military and missile delivery system is so antiquated that we could beat them with circa 1955 tech.
One would hope so, but word is that they've figured out how to attach nuclear weapons to the top of their missiles and are now capable of sending nuclear weapons as far as the USA ... speculation is that they can reach Chicago. Trump seems to be taking the threats seriously, and lobbing bigger threats back at North Korea.

Last time anyone worried about nuclear bombs was the 1960s. Between 1960 and today, people have joked about the ridiculous "preparation" and safety recommendations that were provided to people about how to survive a nuclear attack. It seems rather insane that there are news reports about this again 50 years later.

I suspect that people around the world have their eyes on Trump to see what his next move will be. Is he thinking that he can attack North Korea without endangering South Koreans? What could he possibly be thinking - that South Koreans are collateral damage?

Old 08-09-2017, 12:15 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
I'm in my 60's now, and I can remember doing drills in our elementary school classrooms in the 1960's for fear that Russia was going to bomb us at any moment with atomic bombs. There were bomb shelters in the basements of stores, like Sears, etc. And the buildings that had shelters had symbols on them, so if there was an air raid, you would know where to find a bomb shelter, called fallout shelters. There were air raid drills where sirens would go off, and you were supposed to get under the nearest desk, etc., as if that would save you from the radiation lol. it was a scary time. Called the Cold War. Back then, we were sure the Cubans were going to launch missiles provided to them by the Russians, at us, after Fidel Castro took over Cuba.

https://localtvwhnt.files.wordpress....=all&strip=all

Then we were afraid of the west coast being bombed because we had nuclear submarines in the harbor around Seattle, where I moved in the 1980's or so.

Then, there was 911, and everything in-between.

I suppose it's my age, but I just can't live in fear. And as afraid as I was about some new regime taking over the White House, all I've seen is proof that our system works. And that I can trust others to be effective watch dogs.

I keep a finger on the pulse, in case I need to somehow ever get involved. But, for now, I do still trust that sane minds will prevail. And if anything does happen, I'll deal with it then.

That said, just because I live in earthquake country, I do have an emergency backpack and some basic survival stuff in my truck. Wouldn't save me from a nuclear blast, but who would want to survive that anyway? LOL. But, it's always a good idea to have some basics in your vehicle just in case you need them, and an emergency pack with some clothing, space blankets, flash lights, important documents, etc. Even if all you are facing is a potential earthquake.

I'll stay informed, but I'll trust the system, too, now that I've seen it's still working.

Last edited by NoMoreSnowForMe; 08-09-2017 at 12:29 AM..

Old 08-09-2017, 12:40 AM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
Are we really blaming this nuke threat on Trump? He certainly doesn't help the situation with his idiotic twitter comments, nor the fact that he's somewhat of a loose cannon, but North Korea has been an issue for decades and no president really did anything to help or diffuse the situation. Its a very tough situation, for any president, but I wouldn't blame Trump for allowing NK to build up their arsenal (if they even have one) over the years.

Old 08-09-2017, 12:53 AM

18,813 posts, read 32,480,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Are we really blaming this nuke threat on Trump? He certainly doesn't help the situation with his idiotic twitter comments, nor the fact that he's somewhat of a loose cannon, but North Korea has been an issue for decades and no president really did anything to help or diffuse the situation. Its a very tough situation, for any president, but I wouldn't blame Trump for allowing NK to build up their arsenal (if they even have one) over the years.
Did Trump create the Korean missile problem? No.

But, he basically threatened war, so, yeah, that kinda escalates the problem.

Now, if that had been the message from his administration all along, maybe he wouldn't be singled out. But, he hires someone to negotiate with Korea, talks are progressing, and then Trump just blows his own staff's credentials all to hell by tweeting something completely contrary, removing all credibility from his own appointed foreign diplomats.

So, yeah, that's a problem, and that's why he's going to be personally blamed if it results in WWIII. He's just not even savvy enough to leave anyone else to blame.

Old 08-09-2017, 03:35 AM

2,416 posts, read 2,021,618 times
If it's not the earthquake, it'll be that big bus you don't see coming, that stray bullet from some street punk, or a prosaic coronary. Why any great consternation re the possible actions of some 'cute faced' fat jerk?

Last edited by modernist1; 08-09-2017 at 04:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
View detailed profiles of: