Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 04:55 PM

36,699 posts, read 67,760,901 times

Advertisements

They have a legal right to march. We cant allow our fears or dislike of their message to cause us to try and silence the voices of those we disagree with.

I wish people would stop marching against each other and instead sit down and talk to each other.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:01 PM

24,428 posts, read 27,136,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
They have a legal right to march. We cant allow our fears or dislike of their message to cause us to try and silence the voices of those we disagree with.

I wish people would stop marching against each other and instead sit down and talk to each other.
There is a difference between allowing people with different opinions to speak vs allowing people who want to advocate harm to others.

I'm not familiar with this specific group coming to GGP though, but I'm talking about the KKK etc.

Old 08-15-2017, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
There is a difference between allowing people with different opinions to speak vs allowing people who want to advocate harm to others.

I'm not familiar with this specific group coming to GGP though, but I'm talking about the KKK etc.
Yeah we must draw the line when the message involves advocating violence against anyone.

Old 08-16-2017, 01:21 AM

10,920 posts, read 6,939,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sciroccot View Post
Pelosi challenges Park Service on permit for 'white supremacist' rally in San Francisco

In the interests of public safety, this event should not be allowed to take place. The very idea of pitch battles between White Patriot supporters and Antifa is enough to sign the petition to ban this event before the Richmond district is ransacked and destroyed.
It's for the Presidio, not GG park. That's an important distinction because the Presidio is National Park land, controlled and managed by the federal government, NOT the city of SF.

I'm personally tired of the Bay Area being the epicenter for these kind of events. I would be fine for these scumbags to come here if I knew it would be a non-event. But I know it won't be. They'll get the exact response they're looking for. Whether that is a full on cancellation or if it's a event marked with violent counter protests... To which they'll go play the victim card in the press. Then they can go "See! Told you the 'Left' isn't 'tolerant'"

It's my personal opinion that this should probably not be held because safety is a huge concern. But the First Amendment is a big deal...and as vile as these people are, they have that right.

If this MUST happen here (argh...must it??), maybe it can be delayed so that federal police forces can be brought in. That would be the best outcome here, I think.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:19 AM

5,886 posts, read 3,243,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
I totally agree this is a terrible idea, and stuff will go wrong, without a doubt. White supremacists are scum.

However, when Trump was elected, all the protests in Oakland went wrong as well. It's hard to say "no you can't do this" when everyone else in the Bay Area has/does protest. I know this protest is obviously a little different, so it should be stopped. Again, I don't support this at all, like I'm sure many of you will make it out to be that I do
What is a "white supremacist" and why are they "scum"?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:49 AM

Quote:
I support free speech, but not when the speech is by people whose goal is to dominate over other people because that basically encourages violence towards those people. If a group has a message and someone uses violence in the name of their message, it should be up to that group to prove that person(s) misunderstood the purpose of that and are not welcomed to be a part, work with authorities to give their information over etc.

I think it's a waste of tax dollars and the second it blocks traffic or anything like that it should be shut down, anyone who throws a rock, bottle, punch, immediately arrested and charged to the full extent of the law per offense.
Hold on a second....where are you getting this stuff from? Who is saying their goal is to "dominate over other people"?

And doesn't the government dominate over others? So will you condemn politicians, judges, cops, etc?

Old 08-16-2017, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Yeah we must draw the line when the message involves advocating violence against anyone.
Who is doing this? Links? Proof of any kind that the right has ever done this?

Old 08-16-2017, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post
Who is doing this? Links? Proof of any kind that the right has ever done this?
Im speaking generally.

Old 08-16-2017, 10:36 AM

882 posts, read 691,648 times
Quote:

Not likely in the Bay Area. In fact, the statement is downright humorous given the group of people that reside here. The "civility" train left here years ago and doesn't plan on coming back.

Old 08-16-2017, 11:23 AM

404 posts, read 194,381 times
Quote:
I support free speech, but not when the speech is by people whose goal is to dominate over other people because that basically encourages violence towards those people. If a group has a message and someone uses violence in the name of their message, it should be up to that group to prove that person(s) misunderstood the purpose of that and are not welcomed to be a part, work with authorities to give their information over etc.

I think it's a waste of tax dollars and the second it blocks traffic or anything like that it should be shut down, anyone who throws a rock, bottle, punch, immediately arrested and charged to the full extent of the law per offense.
Hard to know for sure if they are just overhyping the whole thing, but some friends mentioned the possibility of lots of trouble if the event goes ahead. I inquired as to why this could happen in peaceful and mellow San Francisco. Well, apparently there is quite a few WN supporters living in the city. San Francisco and Sacramento being centers for those organizations in the Nor Cal area. This made some sense as I recall some years back chatting with a Black dude and he mentioned how many Aryans were living around Ocean Beach. Total surprise to me even as I do not follow such trends or maybe don't want to know about them.

What concerns me most is that I live just off GG park and the prospect of looting or vandalism in our area is certainly quite high. There will be full on riots if they allow the Antifa and WN groups in the same venue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland