Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 12:46 PM

102,193 posts, read 107,823,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
This is highly inaccurate. The barrier the US sets to prove refugee status is very, very high. And the Nepalese, whose country is one of the poorest on Earth, have a very hard time getting any kind of a visa to the US, much less refugee status.
Good to know. There has been clear bias in the post, though, in how E Europeans were approved for visas, while Guatemalans fleeing a genocidal war were treated. There have been some very black-and-white contrasts in the past. But there's been some good info posted on this thread.

Thanks for a good topic, OP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2021, 02:26 PM

4,031 posts, read 4,460,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Good to know. There has been clear bias in the post, though, in how E Europeans were approved for visas, while Guatemalans fleeing a genocidal war were treated. There have been some very black-and-white contrasts in the past. But there's been some good info posted on this thread.

Thanks for a good topic, OP!
Diversity lotto is separate from refugee visas. Guatemala is ineligible for the diversity lotto.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:42 PM

405 posts, read 449,156 times
Quote:
Good to know. There has been clear bias in the post, though, in how E Europeans were approved for visas, while Guatemalans fleeing a genocidal war were treated.
I can't comment on the situation with the Guatemalans, but I know first hand that the East Europeans didn't have it easier than anyone else. They still had to prove their freedom/lives were in danger, and were denied refugee status if they could not show solid proof of their active membership in the resistance.

Old 12-12-2021, 02:56 PM

Are you referring to illegal immigrants or those applying legally for refugee status?

Old 12-12-2021, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Coe View Post
Diversity lotto is separate from refugee visas. Guatemala is ineligible for the diversity lotto.
They didn't have a diversity lottery back then. I'm talking about past immigration policy that I thought may be carrying over into the present, but if it does, it doesn't apply in the case of the Nepalese, I've learned on this thread.

C-D is so educational!

Last edited by Ruth4Truth; 12-12-2021 at 03:13 PM..

Old 12-12-2021, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Are you referring to illegal immigrants or those applying legally for refugee status?
In the case of the Guatemalans, they fled for their lives to Mexico. The situation was too dire to allow for a trip to the capital to apply for refugee status. So from Mexico, some came to the US, but requested refugee status at the border, explaining their situation. They were dismissed out of hand as economic refugees, just because they were from Central America. That's what gave rise to the sanctuary movement.

So, yes, that was one difference between them and E Europeans. E Europeans couldn't walk here, and no one was gunning down entire villages in an afternoon. But there have been other situations in Central America, where there was political violence resulting from US interference, and again, the situation was too urgent for people to sedately wait in line at the US Embassy and ask for asylum.

Religious minorities in Russia have gotten asylum status just for belonging to Protestant sects. Gays have gotten asylum just for being gay under a regime hostile to them. I doubt most of them could prove someone was out to get them; it was kind of a given, that Protestant sects were discriminated against in Russia, as were/are gays. I don't know what kind of documentation people could provide.

Old 12-12-2021, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbar View Post
I can't comment on the situation with the Guatemalans, but I know first hand that the East Europeans didn't have it easier than anyone else. They still had to prove their freedom/lives were in danger, and were denied refugee status if they could not show solid proof of their active membership in the resistance.
Thanks, I appreciate this input. If all one had to do is prove (document) membership in some sort of opposition group or out-group (Pentacostals, for example), that would be pretty easy. And how does one "prove" to an embassy official, that one is gay?

Old 12-12-2021, 04:50 PM

Nepalese in the U.S. Fact Sheet

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...se-in-the-u-s/

I've been to El Cerrito. It is semi affluent but in proximity to poorer areas like Richmond.

Old 12-13-2021, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Nepalese in the U.S. Fact Sheet

https://www.pewresearch.org/social-t...se-in-the-u-s/

I've been to El Cerrito. It is semi affluent but in proximity to poorer areas like Richmond.
But also bordering Berkeley. It's generally regarded as a (slightly) lower-cost neighbor of Berkeley. Considering the COL throughout the inner East Bay, I'm surprised any Nepalese can afford El Cerrito.

Old 12-13-2021, 02:05 PM

Quote:
But also bordering Berkeley. It's generally regarded as a (slightly) lower-cost neighbor of Berkeley. Considering the COL throughout the inner East Bay, I'm surprised any Nepalese can afford El Cerrito.

Doesn't surprise me as there is also a huge Afghan community in the East Bay, many are refugees. Many former South East Asian refugees throughout the Bay Area too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland