Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:32 AM

33 posts, read 203,864 times

Advertisements

This is what they dont show you on TV, and half the people on Oakland dont even know that this exsisted. EVEY pic is in Oakland. You can go on Google Earth and check it out for your self! Oakland is a beautiful City, that gets a bad rep from people who live in East Oakland,and make it seem like its the whole city. And the news that only show the bad parts. Do you know how damn huge Oakland Is? There is good and bad in every city, I dont care where you run too, there is going to be a ghetto,drugs, gangs, ect. Its all about where you stay. Eveytime I tell people Im from Oakland, they always say to me, "oh you from the hood!" And they say that because everytime they see Oakland on TV, the show the bad parts. They never show this

this is the real Oakland. I love my city, I love the bay. ALL of these pics are in oakland.if you wanna know what areas these are so you can look at themon Google earth hit me up, and I also have ton more pics
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 09:36 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
I thought for sure you would have included some of those stately homes in the lower Oakland foothills, like Dimond or Millsmont. Everyone knows Montclair, Grand Lake and Rockridge are nice.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:48 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Thank heavens you didn't take those pictures -- they were AWFUL! LOL

Anyhow -- don't paint all of East Oakland as bad either. That's where I live and for 22 years it's been pretty peaceful. If I could just figure out how to block the bass waves I'd be fine.... it's very weird to hear the bass pound through my house and walk out side to BARELY HEAR the car stereo it's coming from.

Old 12-23-2008, 01:14 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Thank heavens you didn't take those pictures -- they were AWFUL! LOL

Anyhow -- don't paint all of East Oakland as bad either. That's where I live and for 22 years it's been pretty peaceful. If I could just figure out how to block the bass waves I'd be fine.... it's very weird to hear the bass pound through my house and walk out side to BARELY HEAR the car stereo it's coming from.
Sounds like you need better insulation.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 PM

31 posts, read 60,287 times
Lightbulb love east bay - especially Oakland

Hello,

It's so nice to hear people say positive things about Oakland. I lived there for 8 years, and in San Leandro for 10. Worked in SF - the Mission for 10 and Oakland for the rest. There are really nice areas that you have photographed. I must say that there are also nice areas in East Oakland. You have to know where to go just like every other city on the planet. Everyone cannot afford a $700,000+ home like the ones in Montclair. There are quaint neighborhoods in E. Oakland. I have visited those areas since I had friends that lived there. I used to live by the lake off Euclid Avenue. Other nice aspects are the natural areas like Roberts Park, etc. The East Bay has beaches in Alameda, the eclectic/ college scene of Berkeley, Jack London Square, and all within a few minutes drive, bus ride, or BART ride of each other. Check it out! I have driven SF natives around Oakland, and they were pleasantly shocked at what they saw. A few even bought homes and moved there from SF.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:53 PM

188 posts, read 920,284 times
I would just say there's multiple "real" Oaklands to different people. I personally love the varied styled of craftsman style homes throughout the city and the "streetcar suburb" density they usually lie within.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:04 AM

15,638 posts, read 26,256,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
Sounds like you need better insulation.
Insulation? What's insulation?

Yeah -- we haven't done that yet. Only lived here 22 years.

On the plus side, that's probably why I still have my thick Pennsylvania blood. I keep the heat between 65 and 67... and off most of the time.

But the bass just might make us do it....

Old 12-24-2008, 11:03 AM

655 posts, read 1,983,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skywalker400 View Post
I would just say there's multiple "real" Oaklands to different people. I personally love the varied styled of craftsman style homes throughout the city and the "streetcar suburb" density they usually lie within.
Agreed. There are people who live in Rockridge, work in San Francisco, and have never set foot east of the lake. I was on the bus recently with a gaggle of middle school kids from deep East Oakland going on a field trip to Cal, and they were talking to their teachers about how they'd never been to Berkeley. We're talking kids who've lived in Oakland all their lives! I live in central Oakland and actually do get out and about more than many people I know, but I've never been east of 73rd. I went to Montclair for the first time this month.

None of these Oakland experiences are any less "real" for the people who live them. Yes, Oakland has some very, very rough areas. It also has some very, very nice areas (as showcased). But most of the city is shades of grey in between---and not surprisingly, that's where most people live. So if you're taking "real" to mean "most," you have to look to the center. One of the beauties of this city is that there are so many realities, though. Yeah, I know, we could do without the harshest ones, but we are fortunate to have some neighborhoods that may not be schmancy like Lakeshore or Crocker, but foster communities that middle class families or artists or young workers can afford to be a part of. Not every Bay Area city offers that.

I agree that it's important to acknowledge that we have some really, really deep-seated crime problems that define the reality in some areas, particularly for youth in deep East Oakland. But again, that's just one of the many Oakland stories---though unfortunately it's often the one that the media plays over and over again. I don't think people (especially those who live here) are going to forget about that if you pause for a moment to reflect on the many good things in the city. There's a reason (most) people live here in spite of the reputation, after all.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:01 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I've done a fair amount of educating when it comes to showing people around my city.

People are truly amazed how many nice and really nice places this city has... I've also been asked to show the really "Bad" parts... their words not mine.

I still have friends from when I owned a home on Havenscourt near Eastmont Mall and also in Brookfield near 98th and Edes... Out of town guests also couldn't believe these areas were as bad as they had heard...

Perception is reality... what else can be said?

Old 12-25-2008, 05:36 PM

358 posts, read 1,037,188 times
My family has thought about moving to Oakland, but my concern is not that we won't be able to find a nice area to live in, as there are MANY nice areas of Oakland. My concern is the public school system (and more specifically, the high schools) and the city government under the leadership (or perceived lack thereof) of Dellums. I know mayors come and go, so the bigger concern for us is the schools. We want out child to go to diverse public schools and want to be in a relatively urban environment.

So thanks for the beautiful pics of Oakland. I always appreciate it when people can look at the bright side of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland