Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 02:29 AM

11 posts, read 22,174 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I am considering moving to the bay Area from New Hampshire in the very near future and am in need of some advice. I have never been to California nor do I have friends or family living out there, I currently have no job and no residence lined up though I am trying, and I also will not have much cash Just enough to get there and pay the first Months rent on a shared apartment and eat for a week or two. I do have a very small weekly income (lol, if you can call it that) from some freelance work I have done and a car, but I am not sure If I will (or should) bring it.

I was thinking of giving the Oakland area a shot, I am not afraid to do whatever jobs are available just to get a start and I am not to picky as to where I live except I would like the area to be somewhat safe.

I have been all over Craigslist and it is proving to be a valuable resource but, I was hoping I could get some advice and tips from some of you here
on finding good places to live and a job out that way, again I am not at all picky about the job I do.

Please no Naysayers, I am well aware of the obstacles and challenges I face in doing this, I am also well aware of the desperate need for change in my life that is driving me towards this move.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to the responses.

PEACE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 03:39 AM

11 posts, read 40,126 times
Dear "Hopping to make it work"
I can understand your desire. The Bay area can be a tough place. Some what of a jungle unless you have money or some significant talent. If you are wanting to find a place where good people might connect with you and share or provide opportunities, Oregon might be the western state to look closely at. Ashland is a great town, so is Eugene, even Portland. Oregon seems to attract people are more connected to "humanity" and "virtues" and "Mother Earth". Good Luck.

Old 04-07-2009, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clairdelaluce View Post
Dear "Hopping to make it work"
I can understand your desire. The Bay area can be a tough place. Some what of a jungle unless you have money or some significant talent. If you are wanting to find a place where good people might connect with you and share or provide opportunities, Oregon might be the western state to look closely at. Ashland is a great town, so is Eugene, even Portland. Oregon seems to attract people are more connected to "humanity" and "virtues" and "Mother Earth". Good Luck.
Thanks for the reply, The questions still stand however. Part of the reason I have chosen this general location is for the challenge.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:16 AM

12,384 posts, read 28,590,038 times
How bout somewhere in north bay area? esp since u are going to have a car... if u are doing oakland, i might sell the car...

Old 04-07-2009, 10:37 AM

15,648 posts, read 26,351,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exitingtheeast View Post
Hello all,

I am considering moving to the bay Area from New Hampshire in the very near future and am in need of some advice. I have never been to California nor do I have friends or family living out there, I currently have no job and no residence lined up though I am trying, and I also will not have much cash Just enough to get there and pay the first Months rent on a shared apartment and eat for a week or two. I do have a very small weekly income (lol, if you can call it that) from some freelance work I have done and a car, but I am not sure If I will (or should) bring it.

I was thinking of giving the Oakland area a shot, I am not afraid to do whatever jobs are available just to get a start and I am not to picky as to where I live except I would like the area to be somewhat safe.

I have been all over Craigslist and it is proving to be a valuable resource but, I was hoping I could get some advice and tips from some of you here
on finding good places to live and a job out that way, again I am not at all picky about the job I do.

Please no Naysayers, I am well aware of the obstacles and challenges I face in doing this, I am also well aware of the desperate need for change in my life that is driving me towards this move.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to the responses.

PEACE
I know people that will take any job -- and they can't find work either. I work in janitorial, so I meet up with unemployed people from all walks of life and I'm finding every one is having employment problems, regardless.

So while you're up for a challenge, I think you still need to save up more money. This doesn't make me a naysayer -- this makes me a realist. The ranks of our homeless are swelling, the homeless services are stretched to their limits.

Please don't come out here and add to it.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:18 AM

3,980 posts, read 9,010,609 times
I agree with Tallysmom.. save more money, get job first.

California's social services are bursting at the seams. There are no jobs for even the locals with families to feed and students that just graduated. It's not cool to compete with locals for jobs..even menial ones.

Have you thought about exploring other areas like Wash. D.C. where the jobs outlook is currently doing okay? It might seem like a great life challenge and exciting prospect to come here and "struggle" but now is not the time to head west and sap more of our state's resources.

Old 04-07-2009, 11:45 AM

Thanks for both you opinions

Old 04-07-2009, 02:08 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,810,940 times
No jobs here, or hardly any. You will have a very difficult time getting an apartment without a job and a HUGE security deposit; you mention wanting a shared apartment, so maybe you will have some luck finding someone who is looking for a roommate and will take a chance on you. Sometimes the landlord needs to approve it, though, and if you might also have to be willing to pay your share of a security deposit in addition to first (and possibly last, especially if you're without a job) rent. With the rental rates around here so high that can add up fast. We moved to SF with jobs in hand and still had a difficult time finding a place - far tougher than anywhere else we've lived, and we've been in major cities on both coasts. You'll probably have more flexibility than we did, but just be prepared to have it be tougher than you would expect. Good luck!

Old 04-07-2009, 03:29 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,119,611 times
Here I go again,

Stay where you are for now: Jobs are not to be had, rents are outrageous and Criagslist can only be partly trusted, especially any jobs they may advertise...

May I ask, if you have never been to Ca, have no family there and do not know a sole why do you want to move there and why the bay area? I am just curious...

Nita

Old 04-07-2009, 06:25 PM

1,554 posts, read 5,298,545 times
Actually rentals now have very low deposits, some have none at all. However the rents here in Oakland for a nice 1-2 bedroom place run from 1600 and up. I would not come here unless you have a decent job lined up or you will end up leaving very soon. People with Ph.D's can't even find jobs. In fact I'm helping several MD's who were laid off from downsizing local hospitals thay have come to me to help them find some work. This is a really bad time for everybody.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland