Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2007, 04:18 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times

Advertisements

Today's SF Chronicle Bay Area report shows home sales volume down 16.7 percent, compared to last year, and the median home price up 5.6 percent, setting a new record of $785,380..

Union City, Berkeley and San Rafael were among the 10 cities with the greatest median price increases compared to March of last year.

Prices rose 26.5% in Union City, 23.8% in Berkeley and 17.8% in San Rafael.

Bay Area inventory continued to rise, with an index of 8.7 months in March, compared to a 4.7 months supply a year ago.

Median time for sales is now 56.2 days...

Interesting stats, compared to all the negatives I've been reading.

I hope people waiting for Bay Area Home Prices to drop don't get left out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:04 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,018,722 times
When the market is turning down, one of the first things that happens is the median price goes up while inventory increases. This is because all the low-end buyers are the first to drop out since they are most affected by minimal increases in interest rates and tightened lending standards. Those that can afford to buy at the upper end are still buying and thus rising the median price. This has happened during every downturn.

Old 04-26-2007, 12:05 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times
Now that you mention it... it makes sense... thank you for posting.

Old 04-30-2007, 08:51 AM

100 posts, read 381,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
When the market is turning down, one of the first things that happens is the median price goes up while inventory increases. This is because all the low-end buyers are the first to drop out since they are most affected by minimal increases in interest rates and tightened lending standards. Those that can afford to buy at the upper end are still buying and thus rising the median price. This has happened during every downturn.
Thanks for this info. I hadn't thought of it that way.

Old 04-30-2007, 10:01 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,789,308 times

Absolutely correct. Median prices don't mean squat in a market downturn. I don't think anyone - even homeowners and realtors- will admit that the market is " good". Inventory, foreclosures, and fire sales are at an all time high, sales are at an all time low, and the housing market nationally is doing very poorly. My advice to anyone even thinking of buying in California is to wait it out at least for another 2 years or until the bottom has been hit and prices just start to ebb upwards again. 2 years minimum, as l0ng as 5-7.

Old 05-08-2007, 09:14 AM

11 posts, read 29,013 times
Excellent point about the high-end prices driving median prices. Hey, wasn't it Mark Twain who said, "There are lies, damned lies, and then there are statistics?"

Thank you Hillsborough and Piedmont.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM

8 posts, read 41,921 times
In the Bay Area, a 5.6% rise is about as much "drop" as anyone can expect.

Old 05-17-2007, 03:33 PM

"The San Francisco Chronicle reports from California. “The median price for an existing single-family dwelling in the Bay Area hit a record $720,000 in April, up 6.6 percent from last April, according to DataQuick. That happened even though the number of existing homes sold in April fell 19.9 percent. The month was the 27th in a row in which sales volume declined, and April’s sales count was the lowest in 12 years.”

“The Bay Area numbers come with some caveats, however. The median price is skewed by strong activity at the upper end. ‘The volume (of sales) being low tells you that we’ve lost the bottom 20 to 30 percent of the market that can’t qualify for mortgages,’ said economist Ken Rosen, at UC Berkeley.”

Bottom line: median and lower home prices are gonna' keep right on crashing and we've only saw the start of this so far.

Old 05-18-2007, 02:42 AM

3,980 posts, read 8,990,778 times
I'm in total agreement with sliverbox and the others that believe that the housing market in the Bay Area is on it's the way down. Don't believe it when someone says "you must get in now, before it's too late." This is the spin that got so many people worked up and fearful to begin hence creating the bubble to begin with. For anyone here interested in what's REALLY going on with Bay Area/California real estate and how median prices are calculated check out http://patrick.net/housing/contrib/medianLiars.html (broken link)

Old 05-18-2007, 08:47 AM

I also think that another element that is going to continue to erode prices is the increasing amounts of people moving away to other states and cities. There's an almost completely contrasting amount of activity when comparing the SF city data site to say Raleigh NC and Atlanta GA. or even Austin TX. Take a look there and you'll see a lot of questions about what the schools, neighborhoods, and climate is like and more than likely the people asking those questions are people from the coasts: NY, CA, MA, WA, etc etc.

Some of those city data sites have pages full of people looking to move there while this site gets maybe 3 to 4 posts a day, and of those posts, half are of college students who just graduated and are looking to live somewhere fun for a few years. So there is a large amount of interest in places that offer a more assured living standard rather than the 'hope' that someday, prices might come down. The success of California and other big cities in many ways is also contributing to a possible decline in certain population groups.People simply want a place they can live without enormous amounts of debt and overly complicated social stratification. I can't say I blame others for seeking out an alternative solution rather than sitting on the fence simply hoping the sky will fall on the California housing market.

But ultimately, if enough people move out, then this might bring lower prices as a result.Who knows? I certainly don't.All I know is that I've never felt that spending anything close to 500k+ for a house ANYWHERE was worth it, especially when even now you can rent for a fraction of the cost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Francisco - Oakland