Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2015, 11:10 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,554,081 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 05:31 PM

Default Lupe The Mammoth

Found this metal mammoth while biking the Guadalupe River Trail the other day.

Old 12-15-2015, 09:41 PM

353 posts, read 437,251 times
wth? that new?

Old 12-16-2015, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane M View Post
wth? that new?
The mammoth is a few months old:
Enormous silvery mammoth arrives on Guadalupe River Trail - San Jose Mercury News

Quote:
Enormous silvery mammoth arrives on Guadalupe River Trail

SAN JOSE -- In 2005, a nature-lover was strolling along the Guadalupe River Trail when he spotted something unusual peeking out of the sediment -- 12,500 year old bones from a Columbian mammoth that used to roam the lands that would become North San Jose.

Friday, a 9,600-pound, silvery, bent-pipe sculpture of a full-grown mammoth -- imagine a super-huge elephant on steroids -- will be bolted to the ground along the river trail in honor of the most significant archeological discovery ever in Santa Clara County.

"It's great and a nice addition to the trail," said Carol Sippel, who rides her bike along the 11-mile meandering path as a volunteer who does everything from tours of the trail to picking up trash there. She stopped in awe on Thursday by the site of the shimmering, enormous beast standing alone after spending its first night outdoors.

Old 12-17-2015, 12:39 PM

Old 03-18-2017, 02:30 PM

6 posts, read 21,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atsuke View Post
Trying to get a sticky thread going here.

San Jose was my birthplace and it's not as bad as most people around here think it is. Granted, it wasn't supposed to be a big city at first but with the high-tech industry settling in, it's one now with a modern downtown. Nonetheless, it's a lovely place to live.

Santa Clara St.

North of downtown, Plaza de Cesar Chavez below (S. Market St.)

Skyline from the City Hall

St. James Park

Light rail train running up 1st St. on a usual weekday

Unnamed street connecting 2nd and 3rd St., near the 88 high rise.

Lovely green Eastern Foothills during the spring rainy season, viewed from City Hall.

Paseo de San Antonio pedestrian alley/walkway

San Jose has its share of people with political/religious signs.

Some kids cycling down a sidewalk, lol. Isn't this illegal?

Coyote Creek Trail (connects to the city of Morgan Hill)

Downtown from the Eastern Foothills

...And at night. Good place to park a car and watch the city below!

San Carlos St.

Trails in Alviso, North San Jose, a place that touches the waters of the San Francisco Bay.

Santana Row

I mostly have pictures of downtown to share. If anyone has any other pictures of the other parts of the city (e.g. Santana Row, SJ Japantown, Alum Rock Park, etc.), please feel free to pitch in!

So what do you all think?
Thank you so much for sharing these photos. Is this a affordable place to retire? Charming!

Old 03-18-2017, 02:34 PM

6 posts, read 21,857 times
The photos and reply are great. Is it affordable and safe? What areas there, thanks ML

Old 03-20-2017, 11:07 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighorn12 View Post
The photos and reply are great. Is it affordable and safe? What areas there, thanks ML
Affordable??? You may want to do a little more research.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:46 AM

403 posts, read 666,376 times
https://sunbakedtech.files.wordpress...ia-1_photo.jpg

http://paullimo.com/limo_service/wp-...2/san-jose.jpg

Old 03-20-2017, 11:52 AM

403 posts, read 666,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
Great post! It does seem like many people have disdain for SJ and I've never quite understood why. I grew up in the South Bay and am well aware of its negative traits, but it does get an unfair bad rap. Many people don't have any real knowledge about SJ and are not even aware that there are actually many very nice parts of the city. I was in SF this weekend, and although I like to visit it, I think SJ is more liveable.
Part of it is due to the fact that most cities that are even a third of the size of San Jose give off a much larger impression than the city in Silicon Valley that has over one million people living in it. That being said, I have nothing against San Jose whatsoever, and it has been gradually improving over the years. I've even heard rumors that the wretched airport is starting to improve!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose