Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2010, 09:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,821 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I was hoping you could provide some insight to a non-Californian who is considering moving to the South Bay area.

The company is located in northern Santa Clara and the offered salary is around $75K. But I want to live closer to San Francisco while not having a commute over 45 min if possible. Do you have any advice? I'd love to find a place with a decent nightlife (I'm 25), great restaurants, outdoors nearby, and single people my own age (not all families and married couples).

Thank you so much for your help! I'm really at a loss as how to start thus search...

:-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 12:32 AM

1,092 posts, read 2,172,425 times
Downtown San Jose. It's a decent area with just about everything you need.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:27 AM

44 posts, read 177,080 times
The Peninsula is very expensive and the apartments are quite old, relative to the newer developments in the South Bay.

Get an apt in San Jose, lots of new construction, you can find a reasonable place for $1300 - $1400 a month. Likely with in-unit washer/dryer, etc.

While the gender ratio in downtown SJ and Santana Row is ridiculously skewed (it must be 70/30 in bars and clubs). There's still enough to do, and some opportunities to meet people during the week. On the weekends, San Francisco, Oakland, etc will be a welcome change.

I've lived in San Mateo (halfway between the South Bay and San Francisco), as well as downtown San Jose, and even Cupertino itself right across the street from my employer. San Jose is really the best bang for your buck, and a friendly commute.

Old 11-11-2010, 11:49 AM

2 posts, read 5,821 times
Is 75K enough to live off of? I've talked to friends who encouraged me to consider moving to SF proper, and then commute every day. Apparently they think the nightlife is that much better there.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:15 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingyak View Post
Is 75K enough to live off of? I've talked to friends who encouraged me to consider moving to SF proper, and then commute every day. Apparently they think the nightlife is that much better there.
you're going to have to consider that commuting from SF to Silicon Valley will take an hour each way, and that can drain you, unless you're lucky to be working for a company which runs shuttle buses from SF to their offices (Google, Yahoo!).

Old 11-11-2010, 04:04 PM

San Francisco is overrated.

Old 11-11-2010, 04:13 PM

6 posts, read 26,122 times
Hands down - San Francisco will be MORE FUN than San Jose. No question about it. Nightlife is great. Lot's of outdoor activities, the park, hiking near ocean beach or in the Presidio. So many wonderful neighborhoods to explore. People are great and it's not a monoculture like San Jose. I commuted to SJ from SF for a few years....my now husband did it for over 6 years (and now commutes from Oakland, basically same commute time) and YES, IMO San Francisco nightlife does outweigh the commute. Maybe you could even work out a telecommuting schedule a few times per month.

If you're working in northern Santa Clara you can hop on the Cal Train. You could rent a place near the ball park and hop right on (that's where the station is). You never know, maybe after you've been here a while you might land a new job, but you'll never be 25 again with the ability to live in a great city! My husband did both the train and also had his hours so he just got into the office much earlier and left around 3. Many, many people do that. It's not something you want to ask for your first week, but you'll get there.

Although, San Jose was rated #1 for single men...San Jose has lots of sporting events, concerts, etc. Nice access to Santa Cruz...waterskiing in Morgan Hill. San Francisco is located near Marin which is fun for hiking and moutainbiking...there's Stinson beach. San Francisco is a little more "gritty" than San Jose...SJ seems more suburban to me. SF seems to have a little more personality, and I like that. If you're a conservative republican, than you would fit in a little better in San Jose.

SJ summers are MUCH much much hotter. San Francisco's summer is foggy, but you'll be nice an toasty working down south. It actually was a nice thing to live in the city and work down south so you get the nice warmth when your friends are wearing wool sweaters and scarfs in the summer, ha ha! (no joke!) Every other season here is beautiful. Sparkling bay and lively ocean. Beautiful skyline.

I just don't think there's a question about where to live. If you hate the commute and hate the nightlife enough, you can move! You probably will tire of it after about 6 years or so. But by then you may be ready to settle down with other past city dwelers in Oakland.

Can you stay in a long term type hotel with a kitchen in either or both locations first and then decide? That would be my suggestion.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:04 AM

Nightlife in SF is poor since you can go one night not meeting people who wants to talk to you. I've seen that many times in SF, even if you're very good looking and outgoing. In Dt. San Jose, they're friendlier and easier to get to know. SF is the worst place to meet a mate in the US. New York people are really cool, even cooler than San Jose. San Jose's downtown is cleaner, safer, more compact and walkable than Dt. SF since the Financial/ Market St districts empty out after 9pm. San Jose's nightlife concentrates in downtown and Santana Row, and SF nightlife concetrates in North Beach, South of Market, Mission District, Marina and Union St.. It's more spread out in SF.

I still recommend SF if you go on Bay Area Cruise Line in the evening, and the city is pretty from the water. The city is very nice along as you stay away from downtown especially the Mid-Market St., Second and Mission, Tenderloin and even most of the Financial district. Union Square and parts of South of Market by the SF Museum of Modern arts are nice. The shopping at SF Center is good with Bloomie's and Nordstrom. In SF, The city's neighborhoods are the place to be.

San Jose is suburban with urban core in the middle. You'll like it. It has everything you need. The weather is good. In San Jose, downtown and Santana Row are the place to be.

Old 11-17-2010, 01:18 AM

37,131 posts, read 42,200,354 times
Consider that it's hard to socialize with people you meet at work if you live far away. Unless you already have friends in SF I'm not sure how you would go about meeting them if you have no connections. IMO it's better to head to SF for an event or an occasion or just for kicks....when you have the time and the money.

Old 11-17-2010, 08:44 PM

30,895 posts, read 36,946,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
Consider that it's hard to socialize with people you meet at work if you live far away. Unless you already have friends in SF I'm not sure how you would go about meeting them if you have no connections. IMO it's better to head to SF for an event or an occasion or just for kicks....when you have the time and the money.
I guess it really depends on if the OP will socialize with people at work or not. If there are a lot of married people where the OP works, then he might not socialize with people at work, anyway. And some people don't like to socialize at work because they don't want co-workers to know too much of their personal business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose