Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 10:44 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,897,836 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
these types tend not to go very far after high school if they even graduate possibly due to the fact that they smoke pot all day everyday
Readily identifiable in virtually any town one can name. Just hang around the local 7-11 or equivalent, and they'll dutifully make their appearance.
Santa Cruz's wayward youth happen to have a surf culture bent to this otherwise common phenomenon, and some may be getting a bit more money from oblivious Mommy and Daddy than other areas, but they're still just overage "Kids".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2011, 01:06 PM

8,237 posts, read 16,803,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Readily identifiable in virtually any town one can name. Just hang around the local 7-11 or equivalent, and they'll dutifully make their appearance.
Santa Cruz's wayward youth happen to have a surf culture bent to this otherwise common phenomenon, and some may be getting a bit more money from oblivious Mommy and Daddy than other areas, but they're still just overage "Kids".
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - immature adolescents, and some older man-child syndromes. If it was the MidWest then you'd be wearing the wrong kind of cowboy boots, or worse yet a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops!

I do know some who actually grew up in SC and went on to college to then lead adult lives.

Derek

Old 04-18-2011, 01:21 PM

880 posts, read 1,805,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MtnSurfer View Post
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - immature adolescents, and some older man-child syndromes. If it was the MidWest then you'd be wearing the wrong kind of cowboy boots, or worse yet a Hawaiian shirt and flip flops!

I do know some who actually grew up in SC and went on to college to then lead adult lives.

Derek
Of course not everyone who grows up in Santa Cruz has this complex but I have never experienced a place were a group exhibits such a strong sense of pride, superiority and hostility towards outsiders.

Last edited by Hwy phantom; 04-18-2011 at 01:30 PM..

Old 04-18-2011, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
Of course not everyone who grows up in Santa Cruz has this complex but I have never experienced a place were a group exhibits such a strong sense of pride, superiority and hostility towards outsiders.
While I'm sure this childish behavior exists in SC there are definately places which are worse even in CA. I've experienced a few first hand and know of quite a few more. Palos Verdes and Oxnard (Hollywood by the Sea) and Compton are just a few of them. Completely different socioeconmic backgrounds, same backward, territorial thinking, distrust, disdain toward outsiders. It's pretty much a warped group think mentality.

And of course not all ppl in these communties are like this. But there are enough to let you know you are not welcome if not from the hood. The animosity is also somewhat selective aimed toward those who are appear to be a potential (outsider) threat or just do not fit in with the group think.

Derek

Old 04-21-2011, 12:38 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,897,836 times
Quote:
I've experienced a few first hand and know of quite a few more. Palos Verdes ...
First one that comes to mind, in regards "locals only" surf culture. Lunada Bay shenanigans painted surfing in a negative light in my youth. Santa Cruz always seems to be right on its heels in rankings of obnoxious locals as well, but not necessarily for popping tires and stealing boards and backpacks.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:58 AM

2 posts, read 5,852 times
Kudos for the straight call on the myopic discrimination ingrained in us who had the displeasure of growing up in Santa Cruz...The world view one is taught as a child there is nothing short of bigotry. As a 3rd and 4th grader, disgust at those who might dare travel "over the hill" to enjoy the ocean was so rampant and accepted that rather than play "duck, duck...goose" at recess we played "surfer, surfer...valley." And pity the poor 8 year old soul who lost the game, and was the "valley," the ultimate insult in the "locals only" culture which pervades the limited world view of S.C. And to the member who rightfully brought up the impact of the commuter culture of the Silicon Valley McMansion imports who invaded the area in the 90's, these prejudices I speak of were there long before, as I am referring to the 70's. At some point of early adolescence I realized there was a whole world beyond insular S.C. and was out of there by age 16, never to return except for the 2 day visits to family, 2 days being all I can stand of such self-satisfied and smug locals in tasteful Hawaiian shirts, who delude themselves in thinking S.C. has any artistic or cultural importance more than provincial ignorance...... "Surfer, Surfer...Valley", what sort of hatred does that install in a child for outsiders? Heck, I know small towns in Oklahoma much less likely to judge someone who comes to enjoy their community. And yet you proudly identified "locals" continue the sham of Santa Cruz being some sort of mecca and claim to be open in your world view? For locals, the world is flat, and consists of the borders of UCSC and the Westside to the North, to Moss Landing to the south, if they are open enough to include Watsonville. I feel sorry for those who never had the guts, wherewithal or simple curiosity to look beyond those meager boundaries.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:28 AM

7 posts, read 12,834 times
I find this all very fascinating. The surfer territorial possession ownership of the surfing beach being THEIR beach is everywhere there are surfing beaches in this country! I have lived in the northeast down to Florida. The locals always think the beach where they live is THEIR beach. Malibu surfers are extremely territorial and really hate the valley kids coming over from San Fernando Valley. They have actually beat on kids who are not a part of the Malibu surfing clique who had the audacity to surf in THEIR waters. So, what goes on in Santa Cruz is like everywhere else. Nothing new here!

As for the almost UCSC grad who gave us all a sociological education about Santa Cruz because he was - ahem - from the East Coast - excuuuuuse me - and had it all figured out by the age of, what, 24 years of age? Well, I grew up in Fairfield County, CT - which is one of the richest counties in the country. Talk about people not accepting others! Oh, yeah. Big time snobbery and overt bigotry when I was in high school. We only had about, oh, four black kids back then, but the racism was more against the Puerto Ricas and the Italians! Oh, yeah, and the Jews. There were closed country clubs back then. No Jews allowed. I could not understand it then - still don't. That was back in the '60s & '70s, but closed clubs have remained on some areas.

Oh, things have changed today, but not that much and certainly not everywhere. And drugs? OMG! Come on! Drugs are EVERYWHERE! And the homeless are EVERYWHERE! So small town Santa Cruz having drugs and homeless and racists? Well, it is more obvious in SC because, duh, the population is so much smaller!! GEEEEZ! Get a grip.

Racism is not acceptable for any reason anywhere, but it exists everywhere. It sucks! But, there are a lot of people in the world who are really ignorant and really scared of anyone who is different than they are. You would think that in 2011 that sort of thing did not exist, but it does. 9/11 really got the ball rolling for even more of it. The disenfranchised youth plus many older,even angrier folks who cannot find good jobs with their very little if non existent education are pissed and they want to blame everyone else for it!! So they blame all of those who are different than they are: Asians, African Americans, Middle Easterner, Jews - anyone who is not like them - WASPs - (white Anglo-Saxon Protestants). That is why the White Aryan groups are growing and the American Nazi Party, too. I find it quite offensive when they scream that it is their right and then back it up with their fighting all outsiders in the name of Jesus Christ. It's frightening these people are out there - but they are. I have seen the KKK (Klu Klux Klan) billboards in Mississippi. They are alive and thriving in 2011. So, you will not be able to escape racism no matter where you live - you just have to bump into that one person who cannot stand your face - and bam - there you go.

As for the hippies coming down into Santa Cruz and ruining it? Give me a frickin' break! Go home to your East Coast perfect environment if this is so, oh, unpleasant for you. You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about - YOU were not here nor even alive back then!! I was alive . . a 100% post WWII Baby Boomer '60's child Earth Mother and proud of it! I got out of the uptight, snobbery ridden, two faced, back stabbing, rumor mongering, alcoholic, prescription drug addicted Fairfield County, East Coast garbage to get away from all of it! I moved 'home' to California where I lived until between ages 2 - 9. It was far more suited to my sensibilities.

I have never lived in Santa Cruz, but I visited in the '70s and loved it. I lived in Santa Monica - which was in the 60s and 70s a California Dreaming surfing town that was still a family oriented, beach community - NOTHING like it is today. The Greedy '80s destroyed it just like I am sure the Greedy '80s started to destroy Santa Cruz - with the yuppies, guppies or whatever they called themselves moving in.

There are a lot of over medicated, angry people in LA-LA LAnd (Los Angeles County) and far too many people! Traffic is 24/7 365 days per year nowadays. You have every nationality in that melting pot - and that pot is boiling over! I got married and got out to small town Santa Barbara which is beautiful and has the best medical care I have ever had - BUT - there was not enough room for my husband to grow professionally - so up to San Francisco we went where my husband had once been a '60s hippie and an anti-war activist. Lots of memories. We did o. k. even though rents were through the roof for about 5 years. Then - without any warning - his amazing career job of a lifetime, with all of the fantastic benefits and retirements package, that he thought he would retired from - BAM - he lost it due to the economy going into the toilet. Talk about getting the wind knocked out of your sails! You really do re-evaluate your priorities when you are out of work for over a year and counting. Thankfully he could work from home IF he could find the clients. But, it is is slow going. We are trying to stay positive and keep smiling.

I lived in Santa Monica and Venice for 30 years. Homeless? There are tons of homeless down there! Santa Cruz has nothing like it. Bottom line - they are people aren't they? I can guarantee not all of them are homeless by choice - as one person said - and I'll bet some of them are Viet Nam & Gulf War vets. I do not like the ones who are violent, but I stay away from them. You develop a sense about who is not safe to be around IF you keep your eyes open and stay aware of your surroundings!

I've been so close to being homeless myself at one low time in my life when I was fighting a work. comp. lawsuit for 6 long years after getting injured on the job. I know how scary and desperate I felt. Until you walk one day in their shoes - have compassion for those people without homes. I always say 'there but for the grace of God go I' - I could have been one of them.

We lived in Pacifica where too many of the locals did not want the town to grow at all! Instead they wanted everything to stay the same forever. We now live in beautiful, but very isolated, Half Moon Bay. It is a wonderful place to live if you do not need medical care. So, now e are looking really hard at Santa Cruz. We have both wanted to live there. So, I joined this website to check out what people have to say about Santa Cruz. Boy have I gotten an education. But, we both have very open minds and will check it all out for ourselves. We met three very nice people just today who want to keep in touch. We are checking it out - testing the waters - and asking people to tell us about what they think of their little town. Keep on talking people. All viewpoints welcome!

So, come on people. Isn't there enough hate and intolerance in the world? Can't we all just get along? Can't all of those who are unhappy, upset and complaining take that same amount of energy and do something more positive instead of complaining - like thing of a solution to the problems? Hmm? >^..^<

Last edited by katsnme; 06-19-2011 at 04:59 AM.. Reason: spelling errors and grammatical mistakes

Old 06-19-2011, 11:04 PM

Well, Santa Cruz has many good points as well an underbellly like just about anywhere else in the US. There is no Shangri La. It either works for you or it doesn't. Some love and think its the greatest thing since sliced bread, some hate it (for some of the reasons described by the OP), while others are neither here nor there with it. While I don't think its all that, certain surrounding parts do have an appeal such as Capitola, Aptos and Scotts Valley. It really boils down to personal preferences, one's life stage, what one (and one's family) is really looking for and is willing to put up with to obtain the upsides.

Derek

Old 06-19-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
First one that comes to mind, in regards "locals only" surf culture. Lunada Bay shenanigans painted surfing in a negative light in my youth. Santa Cruz always seems to be right on its heels in rankings of obnoxious locals as well, but not necessarily for popping tires and stealing boards and backpacks.
Yes, I surfed the Hill quite a bit and got stink eye for not being in the locals club. I didn't really care as I was a pretty fearless kid and ignored their childish games. But I do know of others who were attacked or had cars vandalized. I always parked further away and walked in myself. Oxnard was pretty much the same kinda thing. I surfed Santa Cruz a bunch and didn't experience that level of stupidity. Not to say it didn't or still doesn't exist at least in the minds of some today. My beach, my waves, go home! Yeah, Hawaii has it as well as many other locations around the world. But it is still childish behavior (My toy, waAA ) and self centeredness, no matter where it is found. Somehow it is tolerated as a form of cool (Duh) when in reality it's retarded, backwater thinking. But hey, that's just the way some ppl live. The majority of the time you can simply ignore it and move on. Yet not always, my (white) buddies who grew up in Hawaii lived through Kill Haole Day in High School and they were locals, just the wrong color skin.

Derek

Last edited by MtnSurfer; 06-19-2011 at 11:36 PM..

Old 06-20-2011, 06:05 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,586,282 times
Quote:
Yes, I surfed the Hill quite a bit and got stink eye for not being in the locals club. I didn't really care as I was a pretty fearless kid and ignored their childish games. But I do know of others who were attacked or had cars vandalized. I always parked further away and walked in myself. Oxnard was pretty much the same kinda thing. I surfed Santa Cruz a bunch and didn't experience that level of stupidity. Not to say it didn't or still doesn't exist at least in the minds of some today. My beach, my waves, go home! Yeah, Hawaii has it as well as many other locations around the world. But it is still childish behavior (My toy, waAA ) and self centeredness, no matter where it is found. Somehow it is tolerated as a form of cool (Duh) when in reality it's retarded, backwater thinking. But hey, that's just the way some ppl live. The majority of the time you can simply ignore it and move on. Yet not always, my (white) buddies who grew up in Hawaii lived through Kill Haole Day in High School and they were locals, just the wrong color skin.

Derek
I grew up in Santa Cruz and surfing there was always rough--both in terms of conditions and the crowds. Not that I was ever that into surfing, however when I returned what had changed in town was that there were so many more surfers that it's almost became difficult for the local bro-brahs to figure out which Valleysto threaten at places like Pleasure Point or even West Cliff on a crowded day. Although at the more serious places during big wave periods--you're going to have to be good enough surfer to survive anyway, so either you're a good enough surfer to gain respect or your at risk of being way in over your head. Although last time I was down there I visited 4-Mile Beach to the north, not even surfing, although I did witness a couple of local yokels yelling at and even throwing rocks from the above cliffs at a few surfers in the lineup. I've got a friend from San Jose, and it took him over 5 years of surfing 4-Mile weekly to really be accepted by some of the SC locals.

Anyways, you want to see some real ugly examples of localism, then you can find that even in a place like Seaside, Oregon. Seaside Point, one of the best lefthand breaks on the Pacific Coast, is guarded by the inbred local surfers to an extent where even those just wanting to take a look or photos might be threatened. Out of state plates with surf racks are due to get waxed at the least, keyed or tires slashed or maybe worse. I heard a story about a group of traveling Santa Cruz surfers who ended up staying in Seaside on a trip. When a few of the local surfers found out where they lived they ended up dumping the head of a deer(freshly killed) on the lawn outside the cabin they were staying in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose