Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2011, 05:40 PM

75 posts, read 204,518 times

Advertisements

I assume some of you are hunting for rentals and I am wondering how you are finding the experience? I noticed a hike in rental prices about three months ago as I began searching for a rental house in the Sunnyvale/Santa Clara/San Jose areas. Not typically the most sought after places to live last I checked, but I've noticed high demand and prices in the $2500-$3000. My perception is that the rental market is in overdrive, but was wondering what you fellow seekers are discovering?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 12:54 PM

6,288 posts, read 11,777,391 times
We noticed a two to three hundred dollar hike since the time we first rented here last September and when we changed apartments about three months ago.

Old 07-08-2011, 01:40 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,337 times
Ooh, my favorite topic... :/

Yep, that's about right. It's tough, and still most-often a humiliating cattle call. I had several people arrange a 'time' with me only to find out it was actually an open house of anyone and everyone, with few exceptions. One made it truly sound like we were negotiating a convenient time for her, and then she didn't even come and instead sent some kind of assistant who clearly was doing this as a side-job. I had TWO, yes TWO, raise the price significantly b/c they got such a great response. At least they told me before I wasted my time.

I went to one where the agent was so unmotivated he didn't even get up from the (current tenant's) couch where he was watching golf on their big TV! I can't believe what the property managers get away with around here.

It definitely seems to be going up. I guess it's our penalty to pay for not being picky enough last year and having to find a new place and the new prices.

But keep looking, something will happen for you, you may just have to expand your search either in geography or (down)size. Do not settle or imagine what the prices will be next time!

Old 07-28-2011, 05:14 AM

75 posts, read 204,518 times
Well the data has been aggregated, so here is the quantitative perspective on what I've been witnessing in the warzone of seeking rentals in Silicon Valley. I thought it was reminiscent of dot-com days, and it is...but the driving forces are entirely different:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_18520113

Anyone having similar challenge, running the gauntlet in trying to find adequate housing?

Old 07-28-2011, 09:24 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,337 times
"warzone of seeking rentals," OMG that is an awesome description!

Old 07-28-2011, 10:53 AM

881 posts, read 1,814,948 times
Most people looking to rent a house in the SV probably has kids. So it's not surprising the demand is extremely high right now, as people are rushing to move before school starts.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:21 PM

15 posts, read 25,786 times
Rents in the area are definitely getting rough. Glad I signed a long-term lease (even then the rent was ungodly high to me since I moved from the midwest!). My lease is up in 6-months and I am absolutely dreading the search for a place to live again as I'm afraid where I currently am will be priced well out of my range come renewal time.

Starting to have second thoughts about moving out here. Might have been better off on unemployment back in the midwest!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose