Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 01:00 AM

926 posts, read 979,229 times

Advertisements

i just find out that I went to pacific beaches like capitola, san gregorio, half moon 4-5 times past few months it is always cloudy there. why is it? is it like that all the time? is there a real time sites that gives a current weahter???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 01:19 AM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
If you went there 5 times and it was sunny once, you got lucky. There is almost always fog at the coast. This article explains the phenomenon of warm wind blowing over cold water causing fog:

San Francisco fog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The key word if you want a warm day at the beach is "off-shore flow." That means warm air coming in from the Central Valley. If the winds are coming off the Pacific, you get fog.

Old 07-25-2011, 09:46 AM

3,469 posts, read 5,262,281 times
Yes, this is a phenomenon that is very typical across the entire west coast, but in our are, particularly during the summer months of July and August. In September, October, and occasionally into November, there are much nicer days where the air is drier and warmer at the coast.

Keep in mind that some areas are cloudier than others. South-facing beaches, like Pillar Point, Stinson Beach, and Santa Cruz tend to clear earlier and be sunnier and warmer than west-facing beaches like Half Moon Bay or Pacifica. In recent days, I've seen the satellite image showing sunny vs. cloudy afternoons in those areas. The best thing is to find a current satellite image online and see what parts of the coast are foggy.

Also, as a general rule of thumb, if it's a very hot day in San Jose, then it's probably a nice sunny day at the beach. If it's just a mild sunny day in San Jose, then it's probably cloudy at the beach. This year, the western half of the country has also been cooler than normal, so there has been less clearing than usual along the beaches.

Old 07-25-2011, 11:07 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,309,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyencd000 View Post
is there a real time sites that gives a current weahter???
Maverick's Surf Report and HD Surf Cam | SURFLINE.COM

Half Moon Bay

http://www.cityofsantacruz.com/index.aspx?page=649

Santa Cruz

Old 07-25-2011, 12:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,399,956 times
Go to the beach between September and May and chances are, if there is not a storm system coming through, there will be sun at the beach and it will be surprisingly warm. Even in January or February.

Old 07-25-2011, 03:37 PM

926 posts, read 979,229 times
thanks guys, i was taken by surprise. used to live in seattle where it tends to be gloomy in winter but i used to manage to get sunshine at the beach during summertime, i was expecting better weather at the beaches. i guess i will try during the specified time of year you guys mentioned then. thanks,

Old 07-25-2011, 04:17 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
Also, as a general rule of thumb, if it's a very hot day in San Jose, then it's probably a nice sunny day at the beach.
If it's a very hot day in SJ, and it's a nice day at the beach, find some other way to get to Santa Cruz other than Hwy 17. If you want to get there, and back, without feeling increasing urge to kill.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:03 PM

7,688 posts, read 29,152,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If it's a very hot day in SJ, and it's a nice day at the beach, find some other way to get to Santa Cruz other than Hwy 17. If you want to get there, and back, without feeling increasing urge to kill.
I disagree, if it's going to be a hot day in SJ, take Hwy 17.. in the morning. DON'T try to take the Hecker Pass and 1.

Old 07-26-2011, 04:07 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,841,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonarrat View Post
I disagree, if it's going to be a hot day in SJ, take Hwy 17.. in the morning. DON'T try to take the Hecker Pass and 1.
Thing is, everybody else has the same idea, so 17 gets jammed due to sheer volume, and inevitable wrecks caused by people who don't know how to negotiate that road.

Old 07-29-2011, 05:40 PM

15 posts, read 25,788 times
The trick is to go early in the morning. Yes, you have to wake your butt up early on a weekend, but hey, it's worth it to miss the traffic and hit the beach before the crowd arrives. I've only lived out here for 18 months and figured this out pretty quickly! Plus, the dog gets to run amuck on the beach and enjoy herself before the crowds hit. =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose