Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 PM

345 posts, read 1,032,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Why do we always mention SF in San Jose forum....

And I do agree, it's not a great restaurant destination for general cuisine, but for a few ethnic cuisines, it would be tops, especially Vietnamese.

I took my parents out to Slanted Doors in SF many years ago. Needless to say, after the visit, I was banned from picking Vietnamese restaurants to go out to In fact, that ban is still on. Whenever I mention some new Vietnamese restaurants, either in SJ or anywhere else, they would look at each other, say "Slan Do" (accent), and then proceed to laugh in my face

Parents can be so cruel sometimes...
Haven't heard that place mentioned in awhile. Love the outdoor patio overlooking Treasure Island I believe. Friends dragged me there a couple years ago. Nice place, unfortunately the soup was about the only item on the menu within my "budget" so to speak .

I'm not a fan of Vietnamese (granted Pho was my lone experience) but I'm sure there's top notch places for those into it. Tully road area especially.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2013, 07:33 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,864,777 times
I agree on Slanted Doors being way-overpriced, even for the view. I actually prefer Butterfly close by instead of Slanted Doors. They're both Vietnamese fusion restaurants but at least Butterfly seems to be more "earnest" in their efforts.

For Vietnamese food in San Jose, it would be Tully and Story. Back in my birth country, Pho is like egg mcmuffin, you'd eat it mostly for breakfast. Only here in America, we elevated it slightly to lunch/dinner main dish. And yah, Pho is barely scratching the surface

Basically, I stay away from any Pho restaurant that offers "fish Pho" or "veggie Pho". That's a BAD sign right there.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:54 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,379,774 times
For Indian and Korean food, I'd say the Valley tops out San Francisco in variety and breadth.

If you want more upscale Indian food, try Amber India, Shiva, or Sakoon, all in Mountain View. Or you can go for a more reasonably priced alternatives there or in Sunnyvale, Santa Clara as well. Not to mention lots of chaat cafes here and there.

Korean food - your first destination would be El Camino Real in Santa Clara/Sunnyvale, roughtly between Lawrence Expressway and San Tomas Expressway.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:56 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,551,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
This part is very true. People in the Bay tend to be scattered around and the distance means you always seem to be driving 45 min to an hour to visit with people.
SJ is the 3rd densest metro area in the country and SF is the 2nd...if you can't find very many people worth visiting within 45 minutes then I don't know what to tell you.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by easybay View Post
DH was actually LAUGHED at (in the workplace) for saying we went out to Red Robin for a burger. And wine is just BORING - everyone swirling and sticking their noses in their glasses
Your second sentence sounds just as judgmental as what's being done in the first.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobby_guz_man View Post
Why do we always mention SF in San Jose forum....

And I do agree, it's not a great restaurant destination for general cuisine, but for a few ethnic cuisines, it would be tops, especially Vietnamese.

I took my parents out to Slanted Doors in SF many years ago. Needless to say, after the visit, I was banned from picking Vietnamese restaurants to go out to In fact, that ban is still on. Whenever I mention some new Vietnamese restaurants, either in SJ or anywhere else, they would look at each other, say "Slan Do" (accent), and then proceed to laugh in my face

Parents can be so cruel sometimes...
What is "general cuisine," though? New American? Diners? $100/pp restos?

I agree that SJ tops SF for certain ethnic cuisines--in fact I'd say most Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines. In addition to Vietnamese, Korean, and Indian...I'd also say Japanese, Persian, Afghan (though more Fremont), and even some types of Chinese. Mexican too, in my opinion.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:20 PM

765 posts, read 2,443,316 times
Quote:
Your second sentence sounds just as judgmental as what's being done in the first.
Yup - you are right. But you have to agree it's pretty pretentious the whole foodie/wine thing though?

Old 04-22-2013, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Yup - you are right. But you have to agree it's pretty pretentious the whole foodie/wine thing though?
Ok, I'll give you that.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:22 AM

112 posts, read 200,353 times
Quote:
LOL! And wineries and wine tasting is one of the only things I really miss about living in the Bay Area.
At least I've never called myself a foodie

Old 04-23-2013, 09:39 AM

1,696 posts, read 2,864,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
What is "general cuisine," though? New American? Diners? $100/pp restos?

I agree that SJ tops SF for certain ethnic cuisines--in fact I'd say most Asian and Middle Eastern cuisines. In addition to Vietnamese, Korean, and Indian...I'd also say Japanese, Persian, Afghan (though more Fremont), and even some types of Chinese. Mexican too, in my opinion.
General cuisine, I suppose, would be more mainstream cuisines. New American, custom burgers, wineries, Italians/Germans, Chinese, bars, those types of restaurants/cuisines.

I suppose you could say the South Bay is home to the "newer" ethnic groups' foods. Though, I don't mind the craft beer scene growing in downtown right now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose