Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 01:44 PM

2 posts, read 3,449 times

Advertisements

DMV DEMANDED VERIFICATION OF IDENTITY. I moved from Texas to California and just obtained my CA DL and registered my car. What a goat rope. They demanded to see my TX DL and you must either have an original certified birth certificate, military ID or passport. I used my passport. They fingerprint you, take your picture, and conduct a background check. I had to verify the VIN on my car both visually by DMV clerk and appropriate documentation. A CA Smog Inspection is required and that information is obtained by the DMV via computer online record. NOT ONE PERSON ASKED TO SEE VERIFICATION OF AUTO INSURANCE. I even asked if they wanted to see my insurance card. There is a politically correct reason they did not ask for my insurance card because if they did, they would have to ask every person who comes through the door. The DMV was packed with Hispanics and probably Mexicans (I saw many with their SS cards and Mexican passports). These people and others probably cannot afford auto insurance and they are riding around with no car insurance. California is the only state that I have ever lived in that the DMV does not demand verification of auto insurance. Sure enough, the state has a high incidence of accidents with mostly Illegals who have no insurance. If you get into an accident and the other has no insurance then they are open for civil law suit and you can sue them personally. Try suing an Illegal or some other deadbeat. How can you squeeze blood out of a stone? You aren't going to get a penny out of an Illegal because they don't have any assets. The state knows this and purposely does not put an insurance burden on Illegals and others who can't afford car insurance. They can afford $100 tennis shoes, marijuana and other drugs, cigarettes, booze, X-box, etc., but they can't afford car or health insurance. That's why I got hit for a $2271 car registration and tax bill. It's people like me who are paying the way for Illegals, deadbeats and other non-productive people. Liberalism is killing America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2013, 10:53 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,061,233 times
1) I hate it when people dig up old threads and post their diatribes.

2) You sound like a true Texan. Almost the first thing you mentioned about your DMV experience was the race of the person who you interacted with. That jibes with my years of experience traveling to the lone star republic.

3) The reason that you weren't asked for proof of insurance is that insurance registration is all done automatically on-line (just like the CA Smog Inspection you mentioned). When you get insurance, the DMV is notified. If you cancel insurance, the DMV is notified. Sorry you were so ignorant you didn't know that. As soon as a vehicle is tagged "no insurance" it goes on the watch list (police cars that have cameras that register the license plates of cars it passes will find it) and it is booted and towed.

4) "packed with Hispanics" : see the "true Texan" comment above.

5) ""illegals" rant after rant. See "true Texan" comment above.

6) You were stupid enough to revive a thread started almost 6 years ago. Please move back to where you came from. There are already many ignorant racist pricks that have moved here in the last 20 years. As a 4th generation Californian (no, not Hispanic) I'm sad at the condition of my beloved state due to the racist pricks who have moved here from other states.

7) You were stupid enough to revive a thread started almost 6 years ago

PS: I am NOT a liberal. I just hate racist pricks.

Old 09-01-2013, 12:26 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,109,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by libsRnuts View Post
I just moved to O.C. from Texas. Yesterday, I registered my Jeep Grand Cherokee
No pity for those who drive a Pigmobile that gets 13 or 14 mpg city.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Power...WD&srchtyp=ymm

Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,505,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
1)
3) The reason that you weren't asked for proof of insurance is that insurance registration is all done automatically on-line (just like the CA Smog Inspection you mentioned). When you get insurance, the DMV is notified. If you cancel insurance, the DMV is notified. Sorry you were so ignorant you didn't know that. As soon as a vehicle is tagged "no insurance" it goes on the watch list (police cars that have cameras that register the license plates of cars it passes will find it) and it is booted and towed.
Here is the problem. They get 1 month insurance, get the License, etc and then cancel the insurance and ... the chances of ever being pulled over is nil. This is not unique to CA, nor unique to illegals, but simply is more prevalent in CA and abetted by the Gov't, which does not want to have anything that stops an illegal from being in the State and working.

Old 09-08-2013, 01:29 PM

1,963 posts, read 3,061,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Here is the problem. They get 1 month insurance, get the License, etc and then cancel the insurance and ... the chances of ever being pulled over is nil. This is not unique to CA, nor unique to illegals, but simply is more prevalent in CA and abetted by the Gov't, which does not want to have anything that stops an illegal from being in the State and working.
The original rant was "they didn't even ask me for proof of insurance", and I provided an answer (don't need to, they know who is and is not insured - all notifications are done via computer/internet).

Your rant is different, and has nothing to do with "they didn't ask me for proof", because in your imagined story, the proof of insurance would be valid when registering the vehicle.

Things have changed the last few years in CA - more and more police vehicles are equiped with automatic "scanners" (digital cameras that capture license plates and automatically query the DMV database). This equipment automatically captures all license plates it "sees" and looks up the status to see if registered owner or auto is wanted for anything (such as "no insurance"). So it is getting more and more dangerous to drive in a car with no insurance - it's actual cause to be pulled over and held.

Lastly, you don't need to show proof of insurance to get a driver's license - insurance is tied to the vehicle, not the permit allowing you to legally drive. So your rant about 'illegals' getting 1 month insurance so they can get a license is pure, ignorant B.S.

Old 04-22-2014, 03:08 PM
Jie

1 posts, read 1,384 times
Can I also ask a question? We purchased a car last year june of 2013 from Hawaii and shipped it to California for personal use on Dec 2013. The only thing left to do is to register the vehicle. Do we still have to pay the california use/sales tax? I used the calculator from the dmv website and the use/sales tax was way expensive. It would be nice not to pay the use/sales tax since we already paid tax in Hawaii. It's like paying tax twice if we have to pay the use/sales tax again here in california.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:19 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,893,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jie View Post
Can I also ask a question? We purchased a car last year june of 2013 from Hawaii and shipped it to California for personal use on Dec 2013. The only thing left to do is to register the vehicle. Do we still have to pay the california use/sales tax? I used the calculator from the dmv website and the use/sales tax was way expensive. It would be nice not to pay the use/sales tax since we already paid tax in Hawaii. It's like paying tax twice if we have to pay the use/sales tax again here in california.
FAQ - Use Tax Exemptions or Exclusions - Board of Equalization

and

FAQ - Use Tax Exemptions or Exclusions - Board of Equalization

If you truly bought it for use outside of CA, you'd be exempt under this rule because you would have registered the car in Hawaii. If you didn't register it, then it would appear that you bought the car for use in CA, and you would owe the use tax.

You might have been able to avoid sales tax in Hawaii if the car was immediately delivered to a shipper and not used in Hawaii.

Old 06-14-2014, 07:21 AM

1 posts, read 1,307 times
Default new vehicle sales tax for non resident military stationed in

I am a resident of SD ,stationed in CA on active duty, I need to buy a new car before I leave active duty to return to my home state, am I required to pay CA sales tax, how do I show this when I register my vehicle in SD, thanks

Old 06-14-2014, 11:53 AM

245 posts, read 610,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhulm View Post
I am a resident of SD ,stationed in CA on active duty, I need to buy a new car before I leave active duty to return to my home state, am I required to pay CA sales tax, how do I show this when I register my vehicle in SD, thanks
Hi, I am a resident of SD too. No, you pay sales tax for the state you are a resident of, not where you buy the car. So you would pay SD sales tax when you register the car in SD, or maybe the dealer in CA can do it for you. If CA does it, you will get a receipt for SD sales tax, which you can show SD; otherwise, just pay the tax to SD when you get there. You would get temporary plates/registration from CA so you can drive the car back to SD. California is a weird state--it doesn't give out cardboard temporary plates or real metal plates like most other states do. You just drive with the dealer paper advertisement (they call these "paper plates" lol) where the license plate would go. I hope the other states know this so you don't get pulled over for that on the way to SD. If you do, just show them you temporary registration papers.

Also, if the temporary registration from CA expires before you can get back to SD, you can register in SD by mail. Just send them the paperwork (it's online) and check, and they will mail you back the registration and plates.

When I bought my car in Pennsylvania, I was a resident of Maine, with a Maine DL. The Pennsylvania dealer said they could only collect sales tax for Pennsylvania and for close states like New Jersey and Delaware. They gave me a temporary cardboard Pennsylvania plate like they do for all purchases, which expired in a month, and told me to pay the sales tax in Maine when I registered it there. And I did!

Last edited by mileena; 06-14-2014 at 12:16 PM..

Old 03-19-2015, 12:36 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
My son just moved to California having lived in Florida all his life. He purchased a new car last year and took it with him. Is there a time limit of purchasing the car before you may not have to pay all the difference in sales tax. Doesn't seem right to me, because you bought a car in the state you were living in and had it for awhile, and didn't know you were moving to California. help us... thanks,
Ken & Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose