Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:35 AM

207 posts, read 257,382 times

Advertisements

About work life, i think it is same in all the tech companies. I switched from 1 tech to other. I work around 60hrs+/week. I see everybody online most of the time. Even if they are offline, they are working because I see the threads getting updated at 1 am or so. So no work life balance in tech companies. I am not sure about regions other than SV. But it should not be very different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2014, 09:38 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertin75 View Post
I have read them already in the past.

What do you mean by "padding Glassdoor"? Do you mean not honest reviews?
Yes, as with most online review sites, Glassdoor is not 100% accurate, reason being is it's easy to create multiple accounts with various e-mail addresses and post reviews of either negative or positive manner. You sorta have to weed out the comments and know what's fluff and what's not, internal HR and other cheerleaders will often pad the review sites with fake reviews just like you hear from Recruiters to lure you in. I often use LinkedIn search functions, though limited without a premium account, to look at people who worked at said companies to see how long they stayed and turnover trends.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlovet View Post
About work life, i think it is same in all the tech companies. I switched from 1 tech to other. I work around 60hrs+/week. I see everybody online most of the time. Even if they are offline, they are working because I see the threads getting updated at 1 am or so. So no work life balance in tech companies. I am not sure about regions other than SV. But it should not be very different.
I would expect it at a start-up where there are only 5 to 10 people working, a lot of responsibility and targets to meet in order to keep funding flowing. Apple and Google are beyond start-up phase, they are just racing to get out the next big thing. Google's diversity is intriguing but they are so big your just a number at the end of the day. I think working for a start-up and being employee #5 with all the inherent risk is more fun and rewarding, especially if they succeed.

Old 06-29-2014, 09:46 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
I was at Google for a while when I was in the Bay Area. Most of the time, I worked out of the San Francisco office but did have to go to MTV once a week and still had to go back to SF that same day. Days like that would start at 7am and frequently ran till 7pm, sometimes longer. The place a bit chaotic, things change with the wind. It was a good experience and the company does take care of it's people but if you're expecting organization and good planning, not gonna happen.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:30 PM

207 posts, read 257,382 times
@blauskies
I worked for US based established companies with more than 20k employees. I find no work life balance.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:30 PM

18 posts, read 29,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post
I know for a fact that almost all engineers are required to work 70+ hours per week in silicon valley.
This statement by itself is ridiculous. I do not need to continue reading to know it can't be true. You cannot possible know something like that "for a fact", about "almost all engineers" in silicon valley, an area that has tons of companies and thousands of engineers doing all kinds of different jobs.

On this topic, this is my opinion:
  • In general, work-life balance is somewhat determined by the employee.
  • In general, you end up working long hours if you are ambitious and want to get far. How long and how frequent? It is up to you. So again, the "balance" part depends on you.
  • There are certain jobs / teams where you can expect long ours or on-call shifts upfront. If that's the case, you should be able to know this upfront as well, and consider it in your decision of accepting an offer and negotiating salary.

Old 06-30-2014, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonlovet View Post
@blauskies
I worked for US based established companies with more than 20k employees. I find no work life balance.
I worked for both small and large companies, I found work/life balance the best when projects were not nearing launch. Not to mention the time you spend of your own time travelling to suppliers all around the world, often for 3 weeks at a time. I also worked for some real country clubs, places were most of the staff made six digits just polishing a chair in a nice office with a window view, 4:55pm out the door they go, 1 1/2 hour lunches, walk in at 9AM.

Old 07-01-2014, 10:13 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,780,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabapc View Post
In general, work-life balance is somewhat determined by the employee.
In my field (sysadmin), it is rare to find a job that does not have on-call duties. Even in the larger companies the rotation schedule often puts you every other week on-call. This is because different groups usually manage their own infrastructure and don't have enough operations people for a more spread-out schedule. At a startup, you are usually the only sysadmin (or one of two) which means you are on call all the time, so you'd better find a startup with a really stable infrastructure.

The only place I found that I didn't need to be on call was when I was contracting at one of the very large internet companies here. The contractors were required NOT to work more than 40 hours a week, which was a big draw for me, and one of the reasons I continue to look for contract opportunities rather than full time.

Old 07-01-2014, 12:24 PM

18 posts, read 29,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 80skeys View Post
In my field (sysadmin), it is rare to find a job that does not have on-call duties. Even in the larger companies the rotation schedule often puts you every other week on-call. This is because different groups usually manage their own infrastructure and don't have enough operations people for a more spread-out schedule. At a startup, you are usually the only sysadmin (or one of two) which means you are on call all the time, so you'd better find a startup with a really stable infrastructure.
I think this falls into one of the scenarios I mentioned before, where you know (or can guess) upfront that there will be on-call duties (because the job is for a sysadmin position) and you should consider that in your decision to join the company. This is specially true if you know you are the only sysadmin in the company.

So I think work-balance is a choice. You either make that choice when you join, or further down the road, but you always have a choice.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:44 AM

55 posts, read 83,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabapc View Post
This statement by itself is ridiculous. I do not need to continue reading to know it can't be true. You cannot possible know something like that "for a fact", about "almost all engineers" in silicon valley, an area that has tons of companies and thousands of engineers doing all kinds of different jobs.

On this topic, this is my opinion:
  • In general, work-life balance is somewhat determined by the employee.
  • In general, you end up working long hours if you are ambitious and want to get far. How long and how frequent? It is up to you. So again, the "balance" part depends on you.
  • There are certain jobs / teams where you can expect long ours or on-call shifts upfront. If that's the case, you should be able to know this upfront as well, and consider it in your decision of accepting an offer and negotiating salary.
You are correct. that single sentence would seem unlikely when taken out of context (as you just did) and does not make sense. Unfortunately, it is still true. I am a contractor who has worked inside and seen just about every single fortune 500 company in the bay area and they are all the same. Normal people (like yourself) would most likely never ever have the same experience I have already had and would therefore be skeptical of my claims simply because you just don't want it to be true.

So please, name these mythical tech companies that I am not aware of in silicon valley where all the engineers work exactly 40 hours per week.

I will wait.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose