Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2014, 09:55 PM

2 posts, read 2,606 times

Advertisements

Hello and thank you for dealing with another moving thread.

Well let's get right into it, I received a job offer for 50k for the first year in this area.

I'm a recent graduate from Drexel University with a dual major in finance and economics.

It's a consulting position with a one year contract. I love technology and always have I know the area is a fit for me, but I know that I hardly if at all make enough money to live there.

I just would like some advice in what to do. I'm relocating from new Jersey and salary does not seem negotiable also they are not paying for relocation assistance.

Thank you in advanced for your help!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2014, 11:50 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,560,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpa lumpa View Post

Well let's get right into it, I received a job offer for 50k for the first year in this area.

I'm a recent graduate from Drexel University with a dual major in finance and economics.

It's a consulting position with a one year contract. I love technology and always have I know the area is a fit for me, but I know that I hardly if at all make enough money to live there.

I just would like some advice in what to do. I'm relocating from new Jersey and salary does not seem negotiable also they are not paying for relocation assistance.

Are you okay living with roommates, or are you looking for a place to live by yourself?
How long of a commute are you willing to consider?
Is the job near transit (El Camino Real, the light rail line, or Caltrain)?
How important is it that the place feel safe vs more sketchy or slightly more crime?
How important is it to be in walkable community?
How important to you are things like A/C, in-unit laundry?
How important is it for you to live in a relatively new place?
How important to you is it to have a car?
How important is nightlife to you?

Old 08-06-2014, 03:48 AM

525 posts, read 818,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpa lumpa View Post

On this salary, you will have to live with roommates unless you are willing to commute far from Tracy or Stockton everyday. I advise to not live in "cheap" apartments in Bay Area below $1500. You'll end up in poor quality construction, ghetto or both.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:05 PM

55 posts, read 83,793 times
I would definitely not take that job at that salary. Most people who work at fast food chains in the bay area will make more than you, much more.

There is no point in being in the bay area AT ALL unless someone is paying you $$$$$.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:08 PM

168 posts, read 241,822 times
50K? That's basically minimum wage in Mountain View

As duffdog said, I think there is no point. I would recommend staying where you are at and keep gaining experience. Once you can get at least 100K in Mountain View, i'd look to rent a studio. Once you make 350K-400K a year you can buy a starter house

Old 08-07-2014, 08:57 AM

6,288 posts, read 11,809,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post
I would definitely not take that job at that salary. Most people who work at fast food chains in the bay area will make more than you, much more.

?? at $11/hour?

Old 08-07-2014, 10:56 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,056,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffdog View Post

There is no point in being in the bay area AT ALL unless someone is paying you $$$$$.
That's a huge exaggeration. People don't even make anywhere near $50k/year working in fast food restaurants here.

To the OP, in all honesty, money will be tight but I think you'll be ok. If the job will help you get your foot in the door of the career you want and will open up opportunities for you, it's worth it. It's not like you'll be making $50k/year forever. You will have to make some sacrifices initially that will affect your quality of life, but it may be worth it in the long run.

My brother graduated a few years ago with his Masters from Syracuse University and moved back home to the Bay Area jobless to live on my parents couch...with a wife and newborn son! Fast-forward to today, he's working in SF's financial district at a major company and is making over $250k/year in his chosen field.

Yes, the Bay Area is expensive, but it's not as though you're moving here jobless or with no money and no skills. People move here from all over the world every day and become successful. Ignore the naysayers.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:37 PM

1,152 posts, read 3,206,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post
That's a huge exaggeration. People don't even make anywhere near $50k/year working in fast food restaurants here.

To the OP, in all honesty, money will be tight but I think you'll be ok. If the job will help you get your foot in the door of the career you want and will open up opportunities for you, it's worth it. It's not like you'll be making $50k/year forever. You will have to make some sacrifices initially that will affect your quality of life, but it may be worth it in the long run.

My brother graduated a few years ago with his Masters from Syracuse University and moved back home to the Bay Area jobless to live on my parents couch...with a wife and newborn son! Fast-forward to today, he's working in SF's financial district at a major company and is making over $250k/year in his chosen field.

Yes, the Bay Area is expensive, but it's not as though you're moving here jobless or with no money and no skills. People move here from all over the world every day and become successful. Ignore the naysayers.
I think this is just the question though -- is the job offering something substantial career wise that can't be achieved elsewhere.

If yes - then certainly, make the sacrifice. If no -- I don't think anyone is saying you CAN'T live on 50K - but in this area that's very very tight. So if there are job options outside the Bay Area that offer similar career benefits, those would rank higher on my list.

Old 08-07-2014, 11:28 PM

55 posts, read 83,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mstnghu2 View Post

That is probably the worst advise ever given to anyone, ever. YES, assistant managers at McDonald's make 65k per year in the bay area. "money will be tight" is by far the best case scenario for someone making 50k per year. At that salary, you can't afford food after paying rent. Forget about fixing your car or buying a new TV or even having your own internet connection... you will factually be a poor person in the bay area.

Perhaps you will get lucky and a 250k/yr job will fall into your lap and you won't have to do anything for it also. (more terrible advise)

Old 08-08-2014, 12:17 AM

865 posts, read 1,832,426 times
That is really really low for this area, so unless you are the kind of guy who enjoys being frugal, needing to be frugal, and living a no frills life, I'd keep looking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose