Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 02:18 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,562,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Yep, I agree with you on all points, esp. about the NIMBYs; although renting can be a rip off as well. I don't think they will ever build enough housing to meet demand. Unless there's a major earthquake or a Great Depression, demand in this area is always going to outstrip supply.
I'm not sure why people think a major earthquake will affect demand more than supply, I'm actually imagining the opposite, with huge hikes in rental prices for a year while property is being repaired. Jobs will not suddenly disappear, as far as housing prices are concerned the housing boom of the late 80s peaked in 1990 almost a year after the Loma Prieta earthquake, and prices fell similar to many east coast markets 1-10% over the next 5 years. A major earthquake with significant damage will probably lead to temporary rent spikes, the first 2 priorities for people to live are food and shelter, and people are not suddenly going to find jobs elsewhere to provide for them, they will eat through savings in order to get through hard times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2014, 02:35 PM

30,926 posts, read 37,120,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I'm not sure why people think a major earthquake will affect demand more than supply, I'm actually imagining the opposite, with huge hikes in rental prices for a year while property is being repaired. Jobs will not suddenly disappear, as far as housing prices are concerned the housing boom of the late 80s peaked in 1990 almost a year after the Loma Prieta earthquake, and prices fell similar to many east coast markets 1-10% over the next 5 years. A major earthquake with significant damage will probably lead to temporary rent spikes, the first 2 priorities for people to live are food and shelter, and people are not suddenly going to find jobs elsewhere to provide for them, they will eat through savings in order to get through hard times.
You may be right. But for others, a major earthquake could be the straw that breaks the came's back and cause folks to leave. Remember, the Loma Prieta quake was not the big one that is being predicted.

But I'll grant you it's a hard thing to predict. All I know is if there's a major earthquake (larger than the 1989 quake), most likely, I'm outta here.

Old 08-11-2014, 12:22 AM

9,197 posts, read 16,897,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
demand in this area is always going to outstrip supply.
If this is inevitable, then what would it hurt to preserve a few of what little pieces of open space/history that are left? Kind of makes a concrete jungle bearable for the humans (and others) that inhabit it, no?

A few local organizations that work towards this goal:

Our City Forest - Home

Veggielution Community Farm

Full Circle Farm

OPENSPACE | Midpeninsula Regional Open Space District

BAREC was lost after a long fight...now it's a bunch of 1 million dollar townhouses next to Valley Fair/Santana Row. Don't seem to be selling any quicker than the infamous condos at SR itself.

Progress?

SaveBAREC - Keep Public Land Public!

Old 08-11-2014, 05:34 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,089,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
If this is inevitable, then what would it hurt to preserve a few of what little pieces of open space/history that are left? Kind of makes a concrete jungle bearable for the humans (and others) that inhabit it, no?
Yeah, it's fine, as long as the areas which are developing are being developed with a very high density. If I had it my way I would ban new single family homes from developed areas in the nine county Bay Area. All new developments would have to be dense, with a capacity of at least 300 units/families.

Old 08-12-2014, 12:27 AM

1,963 posts, read 3,061,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Yeah, it's fine, as long as the areas which are developing are being developed with a very high density. If I had it my way I would ban new single family homes from developed areas in the nine county Bay Area. All new developments would have to be dense, with a capacity of at least 300 units/families.
I'd love this solution - the price I'd get when I sold my house would be astronomical. How do we go about getting something like this implemented? I could use the extra $500k (I figure that's how much prices would increase in 5 years for a 40-year-old 3 BDRM house after such legislation was passed).

Last edited by marcopolo666; 08-12-2014 at 01:22 AM..

Old 08-12-2014, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutrino78x View Post
Oh, and "single family homes" also includes townhouses.

Old 08-12-2014, 11:11 AM

2,483 posts, read 4,387,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Who owns the orchard? I think that is key.

If I owned the orchard, I'd say, if you want to save it, here's my selling price.
Exactly.. but it looks like no one answered, or even responded. Just a bunch of arguing over the density of development that should go there. It should be as dense as the market demands, or better yet some very rich resident can by it and preserve it as a tree museum. (which would be a lot better than dense housing, IMO, just not very likely)

And what about the corn palace, isn't that still there in Sunnyvale?

Old 08-12-2014, 11:45 AM

2,224 posts, read 2,818,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterprods View Post
Exactly.. but it looks like no one answered, or even responded. Just a bunch of arguing over the density of development that should go there. It should be as dense as the market demands, or better yet some very rich resident can by it and preserve it as a tree museum. (which would be a lot better than dense housing, IMO, just not very likely)

And what about the corn palace, isn't that still there in Sunnyvale?
Property rights? Freedom of choice? Anathema! The Eco-Soviets have spoken!

But seriously, I will wager anything that the developer *wanted* to build more units on the parcel, but was stymied by NIMBYs and "downzoning".

Last edited by NickB1967; 08-12-2014 at 12:53 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:38 PM

Location: "Silicon Valley" (part of San Francisco Bay Area, California, USA)
4,375 posts, read 4,089,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo666 View Post
I'd love this solution - the price I'd get when I sold my house would be astronomical. How do we go about getting something like this implemented? I could use the extra $500k (I figure that's how much prices would increase in 5 years for a 40-year-old 3 BDRM house after such legislation was passed).
Yes I know you're being sarcastic, but I'm serious, there are only so many single family homes, including townhouses, that you can build in a given city before you need to start building more densely, and we have reached that point in the bay area especially in sf but in sj as well.

Plus,I grew up in a single family home in a suburb and I hated it. Apart from having a bad experience growing up because I was unpopular and a beta male, there was also the inconvenience of living in such a place without a car. Think about it: if you want to go to anything useful, you'll have to drive,or when you're a kid, take transit. Museums, high tech movie theaters, amusement parks, all are far away. Whereas they are very convenient to reach if you're a kid downtown. There's a miniature golf facility in the town where I grew up, but the bus doesn't go there. From the house where I grew up, you have to drive there, or walk for an hour or more (it's a few miles away) to get there. I guess the majority thinks that is an acceptable sacrifice to buy a house in a good school district, but I didn't enjoy it.

Plus who cares if you don't have a yard or you share the building with other condos? Isn't the goal, when you plan to have kids, to have a safe place with enough bedrooms so each kid has their own? I don't see why a single family home or townhouse is a requirement for raising children.

Last edited by neutrino78x; 08-12-2014 at 02:47 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 03:05 PM

I wasn't being sarcastic at all - I would love the extra $$$ and a plan like that would sharply drive up prices for single family, detached homes and in a short period of time.

Now I will be sarcastic : Well, it seems like a good idea to pass a law like that because you didn't like your experience as a kid. I'm sure everybody will think catering to your opinions is the exact right thing to do, and the law will pass with over 90% of who-ever voting for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose