Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2014, 03:44 AM

525 posts, read 815,427 times

Advertisements

I currently live in East San Jose on apartment complex property "patrolled" by private security that remotely monitors parking lots. Almost every night I see diving dumpsters with shopping carts. It is quite nuisance believe it or not, it make me not wanna park my car near dumpsters for this reason those people might damage my car. Also one night when I tried to drive off, that bum put shopping cart in front of my car and couldn't drive off, so I called the security patrol and they said they were gonna "send" someone.

Unfortunately until I move from this sick neighborhood, I will probably have to see this every-night after I come back from work. I emailed about this problem also to my property manager but she ignored it.

From my observation, I think the town does very little to stop it while in other more affluent towns such as Mountain View, Palo Alto this would be taken seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 09:00 AM

2,220 posts, read 2,799,769 times
You would be surprised--often the affluent neighborhoods have *even more* dumpster divers. It can be amazing what perfectly good "garbage" affluent people will toss out.

http://www.amazon.com/Art-Science-Du.../dp/1581605501

Old 08-06-2014, 11:49 AM

423 posts, read 609,725 times
Nuisance does not equal crime. I would not report this, unless dumpster divers are causing property damage; hostile or belligerent that there is safety concern. And I believe police, private security, and property manager likely believe the same, thus they will just ignore this.

Old 08-06-2014, 01:23 PM

27 posts, read 74,740 times
Just leave them alone and make sure not to throw any sensitive documents out, like bank statements or insurance info. These people are desperate enough to dumpster dive, don't make their life harder just because it annoys you.

Old 08-06-2014, 07:17 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,487,749 times
I'd call the police. Don't fool yourselves thinking these guys aren't after stealing your ID. I've seen several dumpster divers with cell phones.

In Santa Clara, the police will come if you call about dumpster divers, especially if they're after the recyclables, which is revenue for the city. The city newsletter regularly mentions that people aren't supposed to take the recyclables and to report it if you see it.

And, even if they are poor, do you really want the word to get around to other poor/homeless people that you can go to such and such property and dig around all you want in their garbage without anyone doing anything about it? Do you really think they won't start looking into cars, or windows? Or stealing bikes? You think they are nice, tidy, safe people?

Call the cops if the management won't do anything about it.

I was a property manager in Santa Clara, and I'd call the cops. They usually make a mess, and I don't want them on my property making my tenants feel unsafe.

And BTW, there are a lot of resources for homeless people. Lots of free food, places to stay, free health care, etc. So, don't be thinking these guys are starving to death. They can probably get three free meals a day, maybe all of them hot. And free clothes, on and on. They don't need to be digging through people's garbage for necessities.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:11 PM

6,422 posts, read 7,663,818 times
Reporting Recycling Theft

If a person steals your recyclables you should do the following:

Do not approach or contact the subject.
If safety permits, obtain a description of the subject.
If the recycling bins are on the street or curb call 311 with suspect details. Cellular callers may need to dial (408) 277-8900.
If the recycling bins are in your back yard and you feel threatened, you should call 911with suspect details.
Although, you may feel this is a harmless crime, scavenging presents an opportunity for individuals to check out your alley, garage and home. They may want more than your recyclables and could come back later to burglarize your garage or home.

Be alert and report suspicious people or vehicles in your neighborhood. This includes strangers walking down your alley looking in garages, loitering, or vehicles circling the block with occupants you do not recognize.

Put your neighborhood watch force to work. Communicate with your neighbors regularly and organize a block club meeting to discuss safety issues and security on your block.

We also take photos which they don't like!

Old 08-09-2014, 12:01 AM

30,895 posts, read 36,943,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk88cal View Post
Nuisance does not equal crime. I would not report this, unless dumpster divers are causing property damage; hostile or belligerent that there is safety concern. And I believe police, private security, and property manager likely believe the same, thus they will just ignore this.
This is what I think. We have plenty of dumpster divers downtown. They don't bother me. The homeless who sleep on benches and hang out on the corner at the end of my block who manage to find the money to smoke cigarettes & pot all day bother me a lot more.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:00 AM

865 posts, read 1,827,218 times
I do if it is in cans in my neighborhood, not dumpsters. I wish I could believe they just wanted recyclables but I'm too concerned about identify theft. And aside from that, the money the trash company gets from our recyclables isn't negligible and if it goes down what we pay goes up. Having said that, I don't think SJPD gives a flying you-know-what and sends someone out. My solution is to wait until AM to put out the blue can now that they've made some changes and that truck comes much later in the day.

Old 08-10-2014, 01:10 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,655,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle242 View Post
I currently live in East San Jose on apartment complex property "patrolled" by private security that remotely monitors parking lots. Almost every night I see diving dumpsters with shopping carts. It is quite nuisance believe it or not, it make me not wanna park my car near dumpsters for this reason those people might damage my car. Also one night when I tried to drive off, that bum put shopping cart in front of my car and couldn't drive off, so I called the security patrol and they said they were gonna "send" someone.

Unfortunately until I move from this sick neighborhood, I will probably have to see this every-night after I come back from work. I emailed about this problem also to my property manager but she ignored it.

From my observation, I think the town does very little to stop it while in other more affluent towns such as Mountain View, Palo Alto this would be taken seriously.
Very low priority... I've called when seeing people dump a load of trash on the side of the road in progress and was told to go online and make a report...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose