Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2015, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 2,384 times

Advertisements

We are a European couple in our early 30s moving to the Bay Area in May for a job in downtown San Jose. We are evaluating our options for where to rent and would very much appreciate suggestions and insights.

We will be having a baby later this year and therefore we expect to live on 1 salary of $160k (we expect that dad will work while mom will stay at home with the baby).

Our preferences are:
- 2BR/1BA in a SFH or condo (SFH preferred, if we find one of course) with dedicated parking and 1 yr term (extendible to 2yrs)
- either close to workplace (40 mins walk) or along VTA or Caltrain with a max. 40 mins commute door-to-door (not with a car) - this is our idea as we plan to have 1 car only and it would be great to have that car available for mom
- family friendly location, walkable area (e.g. close to small downtown for if mom wants to walk around with stroller), calm with no bars/clubs, etc. Would be nice if close to park, green area.
- we are budgeting $3k per month for rent (10% +/- is ok)
- mid June lease begin date (don't know if this is fortunate)
- if condo, then jacuzzi/elevator/bike storage/in-unit W/D preferred

Right now, the only area I could think of is Willow Glen (around Lincoln/Willow) but I do not see much inventory there.

Last edited by 212times; 04-04-2015 at 02:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2015, 02:52 PM

169 posts, read 233,625 times
But where is your work place? Need more specific location.

Old 04-04-2015, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 2,384 times
It is very close to Convention Center VTA station or the Children's Discovery Museum. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2015, 04:04 PM

1,696 posts, read 2,871,470 times
I would not recommend Willow Glen if your husband will not get the car. It is more than an hour walk to his workplace, and he will have to walk into some shady neighborhoods between Downtown and Willow Glen, so not recommended. You could make it work with buses though, so he will have to check the bus schedules. If he finds a good bus schedule then Willow Glen is fine for you.

I would recommend any place that has light rail access. Based on your requirement for "small downtown" feel and your husband's non-car commute, I would recommend the following:

1) North Downtown, or what we call North Side or Vendome, situated along 1st and 2nd, where the light rail lines are. 10 minute commute.

2) Japantown, with access to lightrail station on Taylor and Ayer, also direct line to Convention Center. 10-12 minute commute.

3) The Alameda. Your husband can take the 23 bus up and down that road, and then do some walking from Santa Clara Street to Convention Center. The commute will depend on which section of The Alameda you live at, and could range from 10 minutes to 25 minutes.

4) The area immediately surrounding downtown Campbell/Pruneyard, near the Campbell light rail station. This has a direct line to Convention Center in Downtown SJ. 25 minute commute.

Old 04-04-2015, 11:51 PM

241 posts, read 479,832 times
how about bicycling?

Old 04-05-2015, 09:04 AM

75 posts, read 91,313 times
I'm a fan of Paseo Plaza in downtown San Jose since I rented there some 10 years ago. There is a small pool, gym, elevator, parking spaces underground, and relatively very quiet units (at least mine was). It is right across from the main library (there should be quite a few mom-baby/kid activities offered), SJSU campus, restaurants, etc.. Here are a couple units on Craigslist at the moment: Luxurious and Spacious 1 Bedroom 1 Bath Downtown Condo and Paseo Plaza Townhome in Downtown San Jose

Old 04-07-2015, 02:03 PM

2,546 posts, read 2,476,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spicydreamt View Post
how about bicycling?
I was about to ask the same question. The Willow Glen-Downtown ride is pretty easy (by American standards). Basically, you either take Lincoln to the Three Creeks Trail to Auzerias or Bird to Auzerias.

Bobby_Guz_Man's recommendations are spot on.

I'd add the area around SCU, as it is also off the Alameda and has Caltrain access.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:32 PM

283 posts, read 427,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 212times View Post
We are a European couple in our early 30s moving to the Bay Area in May for a job in downtown San Jose. We are evaluating our options for where to rent and would very much appreciate suggestions and insights.

We will be having a baby later this year and therefore we expect to live on 1 salary of $160k (we expect that dad will work while mom will stay at home with the baby).

Our preferences are:
- 2BR/1BA in a SFH or condo (SFH preferred, if we find one of course) with dedicated parking and 1 yr term (extendible to 2yrs)
- either close to workplace (40 mins walk) or along VTA or Caltrain with a max. 40 mins commute door-to-door (not with a car) - this is our idea as we plan to have 1 car only and it would be great to have that car available for mom
- family friendly location, walkable area (e.g. close to small downtown for if mom wants to walk around with stroller), calm with no bars/clubs, etc. Would be nice if close to park, green area.
- we are budgeting $3k per month for rent (10% +/- is ok)
- mid June lease begin date (don't know if this is fortunate)
- if condo, then jacuzzi/elevator/bike storage/in-unit W/D preferred

Right now, the only area I could think of is Willow Glen (around Lincoln/Willow) but I do not see much inventory there.
You should start with condo. Something like this
Beautiful 1x1 across from new Whole Foods!

That location is nice. Caltrain station is close and also whole foods.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose