Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 12:22 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times

Advertisements

As others have pointed out on this thread, San Jose has experienced rapid population growth in a relatively short period of time. It has become the third largest city in California after Los Angeles and San Diego. Therefore, it has yet to "mature" into a major urban center. San Francisco is a port city and an historic gateway that developed in a geographically constrained area. It will take time for development and culture in San Jose to develop its own urban character and vibe. Once the population influx has time to settle, you'll probably start to see San Jose become more interesting and engaging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 12:47 PM

1,023 posts, read 1,551,396 times
Disclaimer: I don't agree that San Jose is "boring," but I understand where this question is coming from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Gray View Post
This is as much a historical question as it is an urban cultural one. How did SJ come to be so big, yet so boring compared to other major cities? Its population dwarfs San Francisco's.
Because size isn't everything. You have to look at when the city got big. I think this graph explains a lot:

To put it simply, cities that became "big cities" prior to 1950 tend to be the cities that are considered "not boring." In 1950, San Francisco and Oakland where just slightly smaller in population than they are today, and San Jose was about 1/10th its current size. Almost all of San Jose's "big-ness" is the result of "boring" post-1950 development.

Quote:
Are there any other major cities (population-wise) in the U.S. that are comparably boring with San Jose?
Yes. Other cities that became "major" after 1950, such as Phoenix, Atlanta, Tampa, Dallas, etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 12:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,392,581 times
It's an extreme form of Edge City. In this case, the Edge City has more population than either of the twin center cities of the megalopolis (although it does not have more population than the twin cities combined).

Old 12-07-2015, 01:05 PM

90 posts, read 138,641 times
Which are the twin cities of the Bay?

Old 12-07-2015, 02:26 PM

1,318 posts, read 3,553,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Because it started out as just another "there's no there, there" place around the Bay, then suddenly, fairly recently, boomed into a big city that's pretty much a one-industry town. Suburban housing mushroomed overnight to meet demand, so there's not much historical architecture in residential areas. No character. Kinda like Fremont.
I suppose if you think Edwardian, Victorian, Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival are all devoid of character, but personally I really like the residential areas near Midtown and Downtown, Naglee Park, and Shasta/Hanchett Park have plenty of character in my book. I don't recall anything like that in Fremont tbh.

Old 12-07-2015, 02:48 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,037,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
I suppose if you think Edwardian, Victorian, Craftsman, Spanish Colonial Revival are all devoid of character, but personally I really like the residential areas near Midtown and Downtown, Naglee Park, and Shasta/Hanchett Park have plenty of character in my book. I don't recall anything like that in Fremont tbh.
I think she just meant that the city as a whole doesn't have a ton of historical architecture. It definitely can be found in the areas you mentioned, which also happen to be some of my favorite parts of SJ along with Rose Garden and Willow Glen.

In fairness to Fremont, the Niles district is full of old town charm. It's like taking a step back in time.

Old 12-07-2015, 03:30 PM

31 posts, read 36,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck5000 View Post
Because it is "new", and does not have (yet) enough dense downtown mixed use areas, and because it has had to compete with San Francisco and now Oakland. Similarly, there are almost no really vibrant areas within 50 miles of NYC - a place like that sucks in the entertainment density. I think this is starting to change, though.

I would bet big that in 20 or even 10 years, San Jose looks a lot more socially vibrant with much more entertainment. Big players are placing bets now. Apple, for example, will be building big in the city. There is a lot of mixed use dense development planned in the downtown areas, like North SJ, Diridon area, etc. There will be more development in the Santana Row area as welll - the row might feel like a "real" city neighborhood in time.
Agree, San Jose is still a fairly new city and is only now starting to generate that "big city feel" and a sense of identity, IMO. This is in contrast to SF which suddenly sprang up "overnight" during the 1850's.

I will say, downtown has made big improvements and come a long way since the 90's when I used to hang out there as a teen (the midtown areas as well, for that matter) and I am excited for the future of the area.

Old 12-07-2015, 04:55 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,546,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad Gray View Post
A San Diego friend once described his city as "Mickey Mouse", and I think that adjective can apply to SJ.
I was going to say--San Diego fits the bill, at about 1.3x the size and 1.3x-1.5x as interesting (for residents) as SJ.

Old 12-07-2015, 05:04 PM

176 posts, read 255,488 times
It's no SF, and never will be, but I don't think it's boring. Certainly has become a lot better. There are a lot of bars and restaurants downtown that people don't seem to be aware of. What are you looking for and not finding?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:03 PM

102,191 posts, read 107,809,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal2007 View Post
OK, you convinced me. So what's your explanation for why SJ is so boring?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose