Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Does a large number of different ethnicies other than your own make you feel like your not at home i
Yes 52 38.24%
No 84 61.76%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2016, 01:02 PM

402 posts, read 538,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seattle4321 View Post
So I went on a trip to San Jose. I went to the mall in San Jose, I think Westfield? Nearly everyone there was Asian. I mean it's not a bad thing, they didn't do anything too me. Maybe a few weird looks, but I felt "out of place". Not like its unlivable, cause I could do it but it's just not the best feeling. I mean I didn't understand any of language, I didn't look like these people, etc. Does bug anyone else at all? I felt like I was in China or something lol, I was really surprised about the demographics. I feel like California is really just becoming all Mexican and Asian. It makes me like it's not my home anymore.
Please don't be afraid of me. I don't bite
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2016, 04:42 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,348,473 times
Quote:
So I went on a trip to San Jose. I went to the mall in San Jose, I think Westfield? Nearly everyone there was Asian. I mean it's not a bad thing, they didn't do anything too me. Maybe a few weird looks, but I felt "out of place". Not like its unlivable, cause I could do it but it's just not the best feeling. I mean I didn't understand any of language, I didn't look like these people, etc. Does bug anyone else at all? I felt like I was in China or something lol, I was really surprised about the demographics. I feel like California is really just becoming all Mexican and Asian. It makes me like it's not my home anymore.
I'm a Bay Area native and Asian American. It's my home too.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:37 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,487,836 times
I understand what you're trying to say. I think it's the fact that the demographics have changed that makes you feel like a fish out of water, because it's redefining your old notions of what you should be seeing.

I'd say I feel out of place when there is no diversity in any situation... like all white, all black, all asian, all latino. etc. Except I suppose when you're in an all white situation you think that's just normal Americana, which overrides the weird feeling I guess. But I'm talking about like 95% one race in a room or defined area where you can see it all. It would not make me feel weird to go to an area like San Jose because, even if you see a lot of asians, it's pretty diverse.

Old 07-14-2016, 06:14 PM

702 posts, read 953,548 times
The different ethnicities don't bother me at all, they make me feel great about being part of the great Californian melting pot. The languages do often bother me, though. My grandfather was literally beaten bloody by his father whenever he spoke German, they valued integration so much. Sometimes it feels like Asians don't want to be Californians at all, but rather just stay within their insular communities. (I have no evidence to back up the idea that Asians today are being more insular than Germans were 90 years ago, I'm just stating my feelings).

Old 07-14-2016, 06:21 PM

150 posts, read 186,454 times
No. I feel more at home in places that have a large number of different ethnicities.

I grew up in a small town and the population was quite homogenous. It was a nice enough childhood, but once I reached adulthood, it became stifling. After living in more diverse areas for the bulk of my adult life, I went back to my hometown for a few months to help with a sick relative, and it was just like...something was missing. Everybody in my hometown had the same life story, it seemed, and therefore the same perspectives, same favorite foods, same opinions, etc. I was really grateful to get to San Jose and its diversity after that.

There have been times since moving to SJ when I've been the only white person in the room - I admit that takes some getting used to if you grow up around people who look just like you. But, I also think it's healthy to experience this. That said, it's never happened at the mall! I find it frankly a little hard to believe that Asians at Valley Fair or Oakridge would be giving "weird looks" to a white person just for being there. These are large malls in a city that is something like 40% white.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:32 PM

3,683 posts, read 9,857,373 times
Quote:
Sorry I guess I made the poll question too long. It should say does a large number of other ethnicities other than your own make you feel like your not home in your own country, or out of place?
No, because I'm not an ignorant, inbred hillbilly.

Old 07-15-2016, 12:39 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MediocreButArrogant View Post
No, because I'm not an ignorant, inbred hillbilly.
Wow, that type of overblown response that's typical for this forum took longer than I expected! It always happens any time somebody tries to discuss race here.

I didn't get the sense that the OP was some sort of ignorant, inbred hillbilly. Maybe you should chill out a little and stop looking for racism in every little thing.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:00 PM

478 posts, read 690,029 times
in the bay area if you are not a minority you are the minority

looking for the majority caucasian/white neighborhoods? strangely enough those happen to be the most expensive areas go figure.

Old 07-15-2016, 01:10 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times
I stay in Fremont when I'm in the Bay Area. I'm unfazed. I enjoy the diversity. Even if it's pretty monolithic in Fremont. Walking around UC Berkeley can also have this effect.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:09 PM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moddedintegra56 View Post
in the bay area if you are not a minority you are the minority

looking for the majority caucasian/white neighborhoods? strangely enough those happen to be the most expensive areas go figure.
That's not really true. The Mission San Jose area of Fremont is one of the most expensive zip codes in CA and it's almost entirely Chinese and Indian. Some of San Jose's most expensive zip codes also have large Asian populations, along with close-by cities like Saratoga and Cupertino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose