Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 10:15 AM

6,422 posts, read 7,664,831 times

Advertisements

Read the San Jose Mercury News for more info on the quality of life in the Bay Area. Private school is a must, traffic is nuts, and then there is the homeless problem which seems to spread. Oh and did I forget expensive with a dash of flooding?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 01:09 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,352,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
Private school is a must
Uh, no. You've been refuted on this before, and you know that folks will pay more to be in quality school districts.

Old 04-01-2017, 01:34 PM

169 posts, read 232,755 times
If you stay in North SJ, it should not take you more than 1/2 hr to commute. Because N. SJ close to all major Freeway. Depend where you stay and work, there is a light rail ( public transportation) will take you there.. A brand new BART station in service soon at Berryessa. Also, you don't have to get to Freeway to go to work.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18TLIDY View Post
Additionally, I want to look at places which have a diverse mix of cultures so that my daughter gets to learn from all cultures.
Well first off there is no other option here. You don't have to look for that...its the only option available.

I wouldn't take the risk of this relocation...what if your wife doesn't find a job? Are you going to be happy with the lifestyle?

And while you are paying daycare on one income, remember that is 2-3K/month expense. So your 165K salary gets lopped down to ~125K (for the pre-tax dollars you need to buy 2-3K worth of daycare). So if you can't get by on that, then its a risk.

And if you're already making more than that in AZ, then I don't understand why you would want to come here. You have a one-income lifestyle and plenty of disposable income in AZ...and you want to come to the Bay Area, turn the wife out, and stick your kid in a multi-cultural daycare?

Maybe its just me, but that sounds insane.

Quote:
I'm looking at something which is safe and in the range of $2500 - $2750 as rent.
Oh, and you can forget renting what you described for under $3500 in Sunnyvale unless you want to live in an old dumpy complex with a bunch of illegals that don't speak English. Somehow I don't think that's the kind of "diversity" you're looking for.

Old 04-09-2017, 12:48 AM

5,888 posts, read 3,223,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJoseMan View Post
Wow. You make $135 in arizona. My advice, stay put. Keep your job. Standard of living in Arizona with that salary is amazing. $170K here? You'll be living in a apartment living paycheck to paycheck. Don't be pulled by stock riches, not as great as it used to be especially with the market at 100 year highs.
Yah...the pay comparison for 135K there is 250K here. According to the cost-of-living calculator using SF (there was no SJ option but Im gonna guess its just as bad). So he'd be taking a massive pay cut.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:06 PM

9 posts, read 14,914 times
Thank you all for your inputs.

Old 05-11-2017, 04:43 PM

22 posts, read 21,722 times
There are a lot of variables here but if your goal is to reduce your expenses, a refinance to a 25yr or 30 yr will not be a bad idea. If have a lease agreement in place prior to your move to CA, then the lender can count that towards your income, depending on the loan program.

Other benefit would be the rental property depreciation on your taxes.

Old 05-11-2017, 09:54 PM

11 posts, read 10,101 times
I was also looking for house rental in San Jose area, and also trying to ensure the commute time is within 30 mins. So every morning I use Google map to calculate the actually commute time between my office to my desired rental house in either Milpitas, Fremont or Berryessa. Google can always calculate the commute time based on the real-time traffic. By doing so for a couple weeks, you will have a very clear picture.

Old 05-12-2017, 12:24 AM

9 posts, read 14,914 times
Thanks, I am looking at lease agreement for my house in Phx, hopefully it works out before I move.

Also, I did look at google maps - there is a feature where you can put the time of the day to assess the commute time.. it looks pretty bad for Freemont, Milpitas or Berryessa in peak hours going to Sunnyvale. Almost 1 hour one way.

Old 05-12-2017, 08:49 AM

13,044 posts, read 13,862,607 times
Quote:
Thanks, I am looking at lease agreement for my house in Phx, hopefully it works out before I move.

Also, I did look at google maps - there is a feature where you can put the time of the day to assess the commute time.. it looks pretty bad for Freemont, Milpitas or Berryessa in peak hours going to Sunnyvale. Almost 1 hour one way.
Actually, it is really good for Fremont, Milpitas or Berryessa in peak hours going to Sunnyvale. ONLY about 1 hour each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose