Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2008, 01:21 PM

12 posts, read 43,119 times

Advertisements

My husband is being relocated to Santa Clara from NC. I know, culture shock! I was told to move this from the Santa Clara forum to this one. I guess that would be because my husband's work will be closer to here?
We have a 2 year old and a dog, so I definitely want a safe place. Preferably 3 bedrooms. It can be an apt. or rental home. The area my husband will be working is the warehouse district?.....so I have been told. Maybe this makes sense to you locals. Any suggestions on good areas to look as well as preschools and pediatricians would be very helpful. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 06:29 PM

93 posts, read 418,540 times
Actually Santa Clara is very nice in a lot of areas. It reminds me a lot of where I grew up, Santa Monica. I think I know where the warehouse area is, just past El Camino, near the University of Santa Clara.
The nicest areas I've seen were bordered by Stevens Creek Blvd., highway 880N, El Camino Real, and San Tomas Expressway. You shouldn't have any problems finding a good preschool. I haven't lived in that area so I can't recommend a good pediatrician. I've had Kaiser (HMO) for many years, in my experience they've been wonderful. They have a new facility in Santa Clara at Homestead and Lawrence Expwy, very nice to go to and the doctors are great.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:16 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,582,247 times
We used Dr. Sattapan (sp) in east San Jose and liked her. It might be Sathapan.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:18 PM

Also where is the job? If it's off the 101 you will want to live as close as possible. 101 gets ridiculous during rush hour.

Old 04-19-2008, 08:53 PM

12 posts, read 43,119 times
I have figured out the area where my husband will be working. It is between Mathew, Reed, and De La Cruz streets.

Old 04-19-2008, 10:46 PM

Actually, anywhere in Santa Clara will do. Also check out the area near there in San Jose. Close to the Rose Garden. It's a very nice area with older victorians and spanish style homes. I like the rose garden area.

Check craigslist.com for rentals.

Old 04-22-2008, 09:55 PM

6 posts, read 13,899 times
Call or write to the San Jose Chamber of Commerce they will give you all kinds of information. And, if you are not moving soon get the San Jose Mercury News Paper. Lots on information. Good Luck

Old 04-24-2008, 09:44 PM

27 posts, read 112,259 times
Default NC to CA

I too am from NC, and live South of San Jose. My husband works in Sunnyvale, and I in Gilroy. You are going to LOVE the summers here! No more humidity! What you might find very unique is the culture around Santa Clara is very different from NC (unless you are from RTP area.)

I remember when I first moved to San Jose, (we lived close to Santa Clara) I couldn't believe the traffic (Like going to the grocery store took me literally 30 minutes to get there and it should have been a 5 minute drive tops.) I started learning to do my grocery shopping based on traffic patterns. Going to the Post Office in San Jose is also a joy, no more Aunt Bea behind the counter saying how's grandma. . I know one day I was in line for 50 minutes to mail a few packages. Ebay quickly became too much of a chore. There were days too, where I did not hear anyone speak English. That was odd to me, but I quickly adjusted, (and have even brushed up on my Spanish.)

With that said, the positives are also the culture! You will have your pick of so many places to eat, things to see and places to go. The bay area is such a great place for kids! SF is only an hour drive north (unless you make the mistake of going up 101 during rush hour, which is from 3-9pm here.) Napa is 2 hours north, Gilroy, Hollister, Monterey, and Carmel are just an hour south. The beaches here are great, and there is never a shortage of things to do or places to go. You can visit Yosemite in less than 4 hours too.

When you get to CA, if you miss that hometown NC feel, go to Joao's Restaurant in Santa Clara. It's Brazilian, but has your usual diner fair as well. He will instantly make you feel at home.

Regarding daycare and doctors, you'll have plenty of choices. I would do some research on line before you get here. Depending on your husbands health insurance, you may have Kaiser or be able to choose any doctor. My son has some special health issues and we chose to take him up to Stanford. I felt like the doctor there was more qualified than the one in my own town, but it's a matter of opinion. There are lots of private schools, catholic schools, charter schools, and montessorri schools in the area too. Many of them have preschool programs starting at 3. They were good options for my family. I would look into the elementary schools as well. In my opinion, and I'm a teacher, the schools here are not as well rounded as the school districts I left in NC. Now, I'm sure there are exceptions, but overall, I have not been impressed with the schools here. Most do not have music or art until Jr. High or High school in some cases. Just something to keep in mind.

Good luck with your move- feel free to email me if you have any specific questions regarding NC vs. CA. My heart is equally divided between the two.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:24 AM

13,966 posts, read 24,165,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00kip View Post
My husband is being relocated to Santa Clara from NC. I know, culture shock! I was told to move this from the Santa Clara forum to this one. I guess that would be because my husband's work will be closer to here?
We have a 2 year old and a dog, so I definitely want a safe place. Preferably 3 bedrooms. It can be an apt. or rental home. The area my husband will be working is the warehouse district?.....so I have been told. Maybe this makes sense to you locals. Any suggestions on good areas to look as well as preschools and pediatricians would be very helpful. Thanks!
My family did the opposite and moved from San Jose to NC years ago. Now, even though I work for a tech company and have travelled to SJ on many, many occasions, I continue to reside on the East Coast. The absolute biggest thing to prepare yourself for is sticker shock. You will NOT be able to afford the lifestyle you have in NC unless your household income is doubled when moving. So, just be prepared for a smaller home on a smaller lot. Just be prepared for it! On trips back to SJ, the things I enjoy the most are 1.) smoke free everything and everywhere (though NC is currently pursuing it in its legislature now), 2.) Cars that always stop for pedestrians. :-)
One of the strange things that I have noticed is how early a city San Jose is. Whether it's going to work, eating dinner or going to bed. Everything seems to be so much earlier there. I think it's more about the difference between the East Coast and the West Coast than it is about the difference between NC and SJ. But, as a night person, it seems that San Jose rolls up the streets at 9PM and goes to bed.
If you are moving from NC to SJ, chances are you are moving from Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill. If you are, you will find threads of similarity that come from a populace that is educated, tech savvy and moderately progressive. What will be different is who makes up the populace. Where the Triangle is primarily about the migration of New Engladers, New Yorkers and a variety of people from mostly domestic places, SJ is more about international and especially Asian immigrants.
Regarding schools, I moved from Los Gatos as a kid (half a year before Jr. High) and was WAY behind my classmates in Raleigh when I arrived. My elementary education in California was substandard in comparison to the schools in Raleigh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose