Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2023, 12:38 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,275,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janoritish View Post
Yes! I have looked into those small towns too. I just really want to live there. I'm gonna end up renting through Craigslist too most likely.
I wouldn't buy anything through Craigslist, it's full of scammers. Try some of these sites and never wire anyone a deposit or rent something sight unseen:

https://www.zumper.com/apartments-fo...eds/under-2400

https://www.zillow.com/martinez-ca/r...oom%22%3A12%7D

Apartments.com https://www.apartments.com/martinez-ca/under-2400/

Or, hotpads or padmapper

'
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2023, 03:34 PM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
I want to work with kids and their families. Not sure how much of a need there is to work with kids in The Bay Area. I feel like there might be more singles than families there because of the high COL.
Are you including the childish in the "kids" group? Asking for a friend.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:12 PM

126 posts, read 72,273 times
So I might actually look into Orange County. I was looking at zillow and the COL is way more affordable than The Bay Area. For anything under $2,000, I can actually get a nice apartment in a decent area there. I would just stay away from all the LA craziness. I'm sure social workers are needed in OC as well. Also, the people are so nice and kind in OC. I've been there and that's the vibe I got.

Old 02-06-2023, 09:42 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Quote:
So I might actually look into Orange County. I was looking at zillow and the COL is way more affordable than The Bay Area. For anything under $2,000, I can actually get a nice apartment in a decent area there. I would just stay away from all the LA craziness. I'm sure social workers are needed in OC as well. Also, the people are so nice and kind in OC. I've been there and that's the vibe I got.
Wherever you end up, please give us an update once you get settled

Old 02-06-2023, 09:47 PM

I sure will. If I lived in OC, I can always drive up to visit The Bay Area. I also have a feeling that people are friendlier and more down to earth there. The weather is probably warmer too.

Old 02-06-2023, 11:01 PM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Buddy, you don't sound like you belong in the desired parts of California. You think people in OC are friendly and down to earth? You're trolling, right? And just an for your information - not every part of OC is great. So the spots you're looking at are probably what isn't great.

I really suggest you check out other parts of the country. Living in CA sucks if you're financially struggling. That's why so many leave to cheaper spots. Like PHX.

Old 02-07-2023, 07:16 AM

If California is too expensive, I'll stay in Phoenix. I like Dry Climate.

Old 02-07-2023, 11:23 AM

Quote:
I sure will. If I lived in OC, I can always drive up to visit The Bay Area. I also have a feeling that people are friendlier and more down to earth there. The weather is probably warmer too.
I've never heard OC referred to as "down to earth". NorCal/Bay Area, yes (before the huge techie influx). You might want to explore that on the OC forum before diving in head first.

Old 02-07-2023, 01:41 PM

1,070 posts, read 788,650 times
Quote:
OP, you don't need to make assumptions about things like the climate, you can look it up on C-D It sounds like you're unaware of the micro-climates along coastal CA. Proximity to the ocean mostly outweighs latitude. So Pleasanton in the East Bay Area, on average, has higher summer temperatures than Laguna Niguel in the OC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
I've never heard OC referred to as "down to earth". NorCal/Bay Area, yes (before the huge techie influx). You might want to explore that on the OC forum before diving in head first.
Agreed. This is a good example of the power of branding and the assumption that CA is an Endless Summer paradise. It's not entirely wrong, but the laid-back friendly vibes largely disappeared with crushing housing prices. OP keeps saying they want friendly and down to earth, which is more of a description of Midwestern/Southern cities, but I guess the heart wants what it wants. There are plenty of people in CA chasing their dream, so best wishes to you OP.

Old 02-07-2023, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnythingOutdoors View Post

Agreed. This is a good example of the power of branding and the assumption that CA is an Endless Summer paradise. It's not entirely wrong, but the laid-back friendly vibes largely disappeared with crushing housing prices. OP keeps saying they want friendly and down to earth, which is more of a description of Midwestern/Southern cities, but I guess the heart wants what it wants. There are plenty of people in CA chasing their dream, so best wishes to you OP.
Well, if you can find a niche of NorCal born-and-raised people, they're more likely to be laid back and down to earth. And they can be anywhere: Berkeley, Marin (yes, even Marin), Benicia, Oakland, El Cerrito, Albany, maybe Monterey. And then there's Humboldt, which the OP would hate, because of the rain. There certainly are down-to-earth friendly types there, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose