Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2023, 09:06 PM

3 posts, read 4,070 times

Advertisements

I moved to San Jose approximately 3 years ago and driving here is super frustrating. I lived most of my life in Southern California (in a big city) and when I compare the two, driving in Southern Cali is much more enjoyable.

Southern California has more "crazy" drivers: the type that goes 100mph on the hwy and dangerously weaves through cars.

Bay Area / Silicon Valley has more "slow & dumb" drivers: the type that drives 45 mph on the hwy when it's completely open and those who brake on the hwy when there is no car in front of them. Also, there are many drivers here who don't know the right-of-way rules.

Is it just me or have others here noticed the same and if so, what is the cause of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2023, 11:31 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,046,979 times
Absolutely, 100%. I'll take fast drivers who actually know how to properly operate their vehicle any day over the slow clueless driving culture of the Bay Area. I'm a lifelong Bay Area resident and your assessment is correct. My personal opinion is that it has to do with the large immigrant culture, specifically from India and China who haven't driven before coming here.

Old 04-29-2023, 11:52 AM

23,594 posts, read 24,124,772 times
I am a Bay Area native, attended college in Southern California, where I lived after college for over 20 years.

I’ve observed both “crazy” and “slow & dumb” drivers (as you characterize them) in both metropolitan areas.

I observe a lot of “right of way” errors/infractions here in the Bay Area. Usually, I observe them at stop sign controlled intersections or unprotected left turn intersections/situations.

My thoughts as to the potential causes:: poor situational awareness on the part of some drivers, lax/poor traffic enforcement of driving laws all throughout the state, cutbacks on funding of driver’s education programs and increasingly distracted driving habits (cell phones, texting, distraction by GPS/car mounted cameras, etc.)

When I attended high school decades ago, I took a driver’s education course that spanned 15 weeks, I recall. We had in our curriculum a formal class on driving laws/courtesy, which was proceeded by driving “simulator” training and then actual driving instruction in a vehicle.

It also seems that law enforcement has gotten extremely lax in the past decades on enforcement. When I started driving years ago, the CHP, local police departments, county sheriffs were a lot more aggressive on traffic enforcement. I don’t see that these days. Obviously, just an observation. No statistics or metrics to support my position.

I also wonder how many new drivers receive the amount of training I did back in those days?

Old 05-06-2023, 04:17 AM

7,658 posts, read 4,624,293 times
When I moved out here, I'd inadvertently allowed my old license to expire. I went to rectify the situation and was told I'd need to pass a written and driving test. Aside from the time consumed I was fine. They asked if I didn't need a book to study and I asked for the test instead. It was rather simple....like 10 or 20 multiple choice questions. The guy giving me the exam motioned me to this chaotic area where I could take my test. There were groups of people talking. I asked what that was about and he said translators. Albeit it looked like group effort. At any rate, i quickly took the test and completed it prior to others in the area going up there. He graded it and I'd passed. It was getting close to closing time and he asked when I'd started driving. I noted 14, but that was the legal age in my home state. My driving record would have been completely clean less a speeding ticket a decade prior. He asked how I'd gotten there and I said I drove. Some of the other people came up and he just looks at me and says, congrats, you passed.

In my area, there's almost no unprotected left hand turns. There's raised curb throughout. It's almost like the city has made it too easy and people freak out on the highway for some reason. And don't get me started on slow drivers clogging up the left lanes. When I take 280 north it's almost always a given that most passing is done in the right lane...but people are better there about moving to the right at least.

Old 05-10-2023, 04:40 PM

30,396 posts, read 52,006,572 times
I commute from the Santa Cruz Mtns to the valley every day, and... well... yeah. When I'm on 2-lane hwy9, I would MUCH rather end up behind a crazy/fast driver than a clueless 15mph "omg there's a curve lemme BRAKE" driver. I have zero patience for the latter at this point, and just pass if they refuse to use the turnouts. Don't care it's not legal, we (locals) all do it.

It's a combination of clueless + entitled drivers (Tesla/Prius left-lane campers I'm looking at you!) and folks who are new to this country/driving. Scary story: I run an ESL conversation club, and one day we were talking about driving. This lady said she's tried and failed our road tests FIVE TIMES. When another lady asked if/how she's able to drive in the meantime, she said "I just use my Japanese license."

Old 05-11-2023, 06:21 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,216,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksGiants49ers View Post
I moved to San Jose approximately 3 years ago and driving here is super frustrating. I lived most of my life in Southern California (in a big city) and when I compare the two, driving in Southern Cali is much more enjoyable.

Southern California has more "crazy" drivers: the type that goes 100mph on the hwy and dangerously weaves through cars.

Bay Area / Silicon Valley has more "slow & dumb" drivers: the type that drives 45 mph on the hwy when it's completely open and those who brake on the hwy when there is no car in front of them. Also, there are many drivers here who don't know the right-of-way rules.

Is it just me or have others here noticed the same and if so, what is the cause of this?

I also agree with you 100%. When I moved to the SJ area from LA, I noticed that while less aggressive, Bay Area drivers seem less confident. In LA, there is typically a method to the madness where you own your piece of the road that you're on and drive accordingly. That's not the case here, so it's really hard to get a read on what to expect from fellow drivers. Having said that, I'll take driving in the SJ area over LA every day of the week since traffic isn't nearly as bad up here.

Old 05-12-2023, 09:33 AM

394 posts, read 278,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I commute from the Santa Cruz Mtns to the valley every day, and... well... yeah. When I'm on 2-lane hwy9, I would MUCH rather end up behind a crazy/fast driver than a clueless 15mph "omg there's a curve lemme BRAKE" driver. I have zero patience for the latter at this point, and just pass if they refuse to use the turnouts. Don't care it's not legal, we (locals) all do it.
Heh...years ago I was on a downhill stretch of Hwy 9 in my old VW Westy campervan...I was passed by a BICYCLE going faster than I was.

Old 05-12-2023, 05:09 PM

3,352 posts, read 2,321,897 times
Speaking of drivers there seems to be many hard feelings and complaints of many many sideshows. And its interesting how they made cruising legal in California these days. I don't think it makes too much of a difference though. Cinco De Mayo week had been such a nightmare for anyone who merely resident, work, or just need to pass through San Jose for any given reason especially anywhere 87 corridor or eastward as far north as Milpitas border and as far south as Tully rd or South Capital Expressway. I.e if someone working in Sunnyvale, Cupertino wants to get to Milpitas or Morgan Hill and happen to be on 280 gets trapped after the 87 corridor could not exit the traffic jam due to undisclosed traffic diversion that prevents them from getting on 101 south or any exits past 87 until the Milpitas border. The biggest issue isn't just the hooligans blocking the roads with their sideshows and cruisers but the cities ever so secret road closure and traffic diversion plans they can initiate at any given moment that week and they never alert any residents, employers, businesses nor do Caltrans use electronic signs or sigalerts as they would normally do if a road closure causes more than half an hour of serious delays.

I am surprised I see nothing on city data but two state senators from San Jose is filing suit on this as Caltrans a state agency is involved in this backroom deal on undisclosed road closures every year with the City of San Jose. Residents complained about lack of notice but it had fallen on deaf ears year after year. But they messed with the wrong or should I say correct people this time/

Old 05-13-2023, 02:55 AM

6,399 posts, read 5,037,013 times
I'm surprised to hear Bay Area drivers being described as slow and careful. Having driven in many places I find Bay Area drivers very average. My observations:

Slow and careful: Seattle
Slow and out-of-it: DC
Normal: Bay Area, Minneapolis, Las Vegas
Fast and reckless: Chicago, St. Louis, Portland

Old 05-13-2023, 11:23 AM

7,927 posts, read 3,892,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharksGiants49ers View Post
Bay Area / Silicon Valley has more "slow & dumb" drivers: the type that drives 45 mph on the hwy when it's completely open and those who brake on the hwy when there is no car in front of them.
Decaf, ShakrsGiants49ers; try switching to decaf.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose