Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2023, 05:56 AM

90 posts, read 168,260 times

Advertisements

My car's front speakers were not working and I went to a nearby car audio store that had decent ratings on yelp. After a couple of hours the owner calls me and says that the speakers are all right but the car radio was not giving the proper output for the front speakers and right speakers are faulty too. I went back to pick up the car. He behaves slightly weird when I am paying his diagnostic fee of $75 where I get the feeling that he wants me to change the radio and says that my current radio is a very poor brand which surprises me because I didn't think so. He says he needs 30 minutes to put the radio back in. Some time later he calls me asks me to touch the radio and says that radio is really hot and hence he has unplugged the radio so that it doesn't become a fire hazard. I don't care much. However, driving back I notice that there are wires etc. hanging out of the radio and windshield is cracked. I get back home open up the radio and see that most of the wires inside are cut and the inside of the radio is a real mess. I plug the radio and immediately within seconds smell the radio burning like in case of an electrical fire. I call the store and he tells me that he noticed the windshield was already cracked which I find it difficult to believe because I for sure would have seen it before. He tells me while testing the radio he had to cut the wires and he can put it back again. But given that he is so incompetent and dishonest I don't want him to work on my car. However, he has completely destroyed my radio and I will need a new one. Can I complain to the BBB or take him to small claims court to recover my costs? I have pictures etc. to prove this. Also I checked on yelp his negative reviews and he has done this to other customers too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2023, 08:49 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,447,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salilsurendran View Post
Can I complain to the BBB or take him to small claims court to recover my costs? I have pictures etc. to prove this. Also I checked on yelp his negative reviews and he has done this to other customers too.

The BBB isn't a governing body. They're the Yelp of yesteryear and if a business isn't a voluntary member of their group, complaints are even more pointless.

Small claims starts with a demand letter but I would at least one more time informally ask the owner of the shop to compensate you for the damages before going that route. If it's only a few hundred dollars, it's probably not worth your time. Less than ideally, you might be able to get your auto insurance to cover everything if you have comprehensive coverage. You should also look at whatever work order this shop gave you before they began the diagnostics/repair.

Old 06-27-2023, 12:32 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,661,659 times
Default stand up for all

Maybe AAA can help?
Check the Santa Clara County Court website for small claims process. If you don't, he will continue to damage others.

Old 06-27-2023, 01:37 PM

90 posts, read 168,260 times
the audio store paid me the money for the damages they did
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
View detailed profiles of: