Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2009, 07:02 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Its not worth the risk to steal. If i cant afford it i just do without.
Gee, I thought I was the only one on this board that saw it that way???
No, OP shouldn't get the book thrown at her, but when people say, oh it's ok, we all make mistakes, I understand why things are changing so much in our country and not always for the best...

Nita
Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2009, 07:53 AM

1,566 posts, read 4,422,660 times
What happened to the term 'guilt'?

Old 11-08-2009, 09:10 AM

1 posts, read 3,495 times
"Let he among us who has not sinned cast the first stone."
Isn't that how it goes?

No. It goes:
Let HIM who is without sin.... Another way to say it, which shows you how to do it correctly, is to say, "If anyone is without sin, let him cast the first stone."

Old 11-08-2009, 11:25 AM

2,901 posts, read 12,722,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMaryKing View Post
Isn't that how it goes?

No. It goes:
Let HIM who is without sin.... Another way to say it, which shows you how to do it correctly, is to say, "If anyone is without sin, let him cast the first stone."
Huh?
What's your point?
You want a "him" instead of a "he"?
Do what correctly?
Repeat a biblical verse (from a book that's been mis-translated anyway long, long ago) verbatim?
The gist ... the essential meaning ... of the expression remains the same.

Last edited by coyoteskye; 11-08-2009 at 12:08 PM..

Old 11-08-2009, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMaryKing View Post
Isn't that how it goes?

No. It goes:
Whatever, are you saying, we should close our eyes because we all go aroung stealing from dept and discount stores or stealing period? I would hate to think this is the norm...We aren't talking about a 14 or 15 year old kid that sees something they want and thinks it might be cool to see if they can get away with it, we are talking about poor judgement at best on the part of an adult..This isn't quite the same as driving 10 miles over the speed limit or finding a $20 bill in front of a store and not trying to find the owner, we are talking about theft????!!!!

Nita

Old 11-08-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Gee, I thought I was the only one on this board that saw it that way???
No, OP shouldn't get the book thrown at her, but when people say, oh it's ok, we all make mistakes, I understand why things are changing so much in our country and not always for the best...

Nita

Give it up nmnita.
The O.P.'s behavior is so irrelevant.
It's absurd.
Are you a Stepford wife?

"Despite an expected wave of fraud in the trillion-dollar bailout that aims to stop the ongoing financial meltdown, federal law enforcement officials told Congress on Wednesday that they have nowhere near the level of resources to combat it.

Top FBI and Justice Department officials said they believed mortgage fraud and other types of corporate criminal behavior has contributed to the economic tailspin. And they said they already have more than 2,300 open investigations into suspected illegal financial activity -- including 38 probes specifically linked to the crisis.

Those investigations are already straining the resources of the FBI and the Justice Department, FBI Deputy Director John Pistole and Acting Assistant Atty. Gen. Rita Glavin said in testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee.

But the problems will worsen exponentially as the economy plunges, and as the Obama administration and Congress spend more than $1 trillion in various bailout and stimulus packages in an effort to forestall foreclosures, corporate bankruptcies and a prolonged economic depression, they said.

Pistole said he expected the number of major investigations to rise into the many hundreds, focusing on big-name companies that "everybody knows about," and to be similar in scope and complexity to the massive probe of energy company Enron Corp. after its collapse in 2001."

Massive probe of corporate theft to be launched by FBI » Propeller (http://www.propeller.com/story/2009/02/13/los-angeles-times-latimescom/ - broken link)

Old 11-09-2009, 01:00 AM

1 posts, read 3,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frsno1 View Post
I am a police officer here in Fresno. I will try to condense in a fairly short span what the law says.

What the op committed is a petty theft, which is a misdeameanor crime. Unless, the police were called right away, she will not be charged or have to go to court for anything. First of all, the agents of the store would have had to sign a citizen's arrest right there on the spot. Even if that was the case, she would have been cited and released (given a ticket) to appear in court.

Regarding most misdeameanors, they have to be "fresh". What I mean is that in order for a citizen's arrest to be made, it has to be done right when she was detained and the police called immediately, then the officer would have to arrive within a reasonable amount of time and investigated it, then the agents would have had to make the citizen's arrest.....all of this happening during the time of the incident.

As far as loss prevention giving having her sign whatever it is they signed, that is strictly a civil matter between her and the store.
In many cities now retailers belong to a "cite-and-release" with the local police agencies. This means that when a store detains someone for shoplifting they fill out all the police reports, a ticket (just like the ones given by police), and take a thumb print. They call the local police department and give the information of the shoplifter. If the person has not been arrested for shoplifting or have any warrants and the id is valid the shoplifter leaves with a ticket and a court date will be sent later by the police department.

With that said I work for Marshalls and if you did not sign and given a police ticket than you are not going to be prosecuted.

Old 11-09-2009, 09:44 AM

1,044 posts, read 2,767,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
Give it up nmnita.
The O.P.'s behavior is so irrelevant.
It's absurd.
Are you a Stepford wife?

"Despite an expected wave of fraud in the trillion-dollar bailout that aims to stop the ongoing financial meltdown, federal law enforcement officials told Congress on Wednesday that they have nowhere near the level of resources to combat it.
Do two wrongs make a right?

Old 11-09-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbunniii View Post
Do two wrongs make a right?
It's about perspective regarding the decline of this culture that nmnita speaks of.
And no, two wrongs make two wrongs.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteskye View Post
It's about perspective regarding the decline of this culture that nmnita speaks of.
And no, two wrongs make two wrongs.
you are talking about 2 completely different things: My remarks simply have to do with the attitude of so many on this particular thread: in essense they are saying, hey, don't worry, we all do things like this from time to time. Plus, they make slide remarks about those of us who do not. If indeed people really do not think shop lifting is anything to do concerned about, yes, our morals are all shot to HELL...

If it was my 15 year old daughter I would be livid and certainly wouldn't not blow it off, my telling her not to be too concerned. In fact, our 15 year old daughter did try something like this: she got caught, not only did the cops scare the HELL out of her, so did mommy and daddy. It has been about 30 years since that day, I can guarantee you, she never did anything like that again..

Corp corruption is a totally different topic.
Nita
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Jose