Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 09:38 PM

974 posts, read 2,351,036 times

Advertisements

There are a couple of weeks a year that I wouldn't mind air conditioning, but that's only if I'm stuck at home during the day. Most summer evenings the temps cool down so that, if anything, only a fan is needed.
Heating is definitely needed - but whether you "need" central heating depends on the degree of creature comfort you want. I know folks who heat with wood or pellet stoves, and others who turn their heaters on just in the rooms they will occupy. Most, if not all, of the homes you will look at will have central heating systems of one kind or another; and because the winters do get cold, and you'll be glad they do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2012, 09:35 PM

1,182 posts, read 2,489,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeric View Post
Well there are probably people who think you need AC in Fairbanks in the summer, but I think it's safe to say that it's a minority view. At 7000 feet, semi-arid, and in the the temperate zone (although in the southern part) you're are likely to find more people concerned about heat in the winter then AC in summer.
I grew up in Fairbanks and sometimes wished that I had AC in the summer. But you're right, don't need it when it only really gets high enough to justify it a handful of times each year. Live north of Albuqeurque now, in Bernalillo, where we do need A/C but I agree it doesn't get warm enough often enough in Santa Fe to justify it.

I have a question about whole house fans. Lived in Sacramento for 15+ years and they were all the rage for new construction. Basically work to exchange air for the entire house quickly in the evenings to cool it down. Haven't even heard of them since we got to New Mexico. Does anyone use/market them here? Maybe open windows are good enough?

Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,945,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwjoyak View Post
I have a question about whole house fans. Lived in Sacramento for 15+ years and they were all the rage for new construction. Basically work to exchange air for the entire house quickly in the evenings to cool it down. Haven't even heard of them since we got to New Mexico. Does anyone use/market them here? Maybe open windows are good enough?
Turn off the water pump to a swamp cooler (which is one of three switches on the wall cluster) and your swamp cooler is a whole house fan...

Old 06-21-2012, 07:49 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,201,899 times
Quote:
I have a question about whole house fans.
In the deep south "attic fans" were the main means of cooling in the days before refrigerated air. You opened windows and the attic fan drew in the air and blew it out through the attic.

Here in Ruidoso it gets hot enough for daytime air conditioning (97F yesterday) but I use an "industrial strength" portable floor fan - very high speed, large diameter - to draw in the air in the early morning from 5 to 8am most days. That will usually get my indoor temp down to almost 60F before I close the house up for the day. On a 90+ day, the inside temp will gradually rise to near 80F by sundown. Not real cool, but tolerable with ceiling fans stirring the indoor air.

When I go to bed on a warm night, with daytime humidity in the 5 percent range, I use my humidifier as a mini-evaperative cooler. I set it on a small folding table at the foot of my bed so that it blows over me. It allows me to sleep until I need to pull up a sheet to get some warmth, at which time I turn it off.

All of the above works for me because I live alone and don't have others running in and out of the house during the day.

Old 06-21-2012, 11:28 AM

293 posts, read 973,758 times
Quote:
I think most whole house fans are in the attic space, right? If that's the case... they wouldn't be all that popular in Santa Fe since the majority of houses have flat roofs. That said, I've never seen a whole house fan advertised around here. It was hot enough yesterday that I would have been willing to build an attic just to put a whole house fan in!

Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM

888 posts, read 1,189,727 times
Anyone with respiratory problems in Santa Fe though, certainly might benefit from an A/C unit.

Steve

Old 06-22-2012, 11:57 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,409,292 times
Quote:
I grew up in Fairbanks and sometimes wished that I had AC in the summer. But you're right, don't need it when it only really gets high enough to justify it a handful of times each year. Live north of Albuqeurque now, in Bernalillo, where we do need A/C but I agree it doesn't get warm enough often enough in Santa Fe to justify it.

I have a whole house fan that runs all the time to exchange outside air with inside because the house is so tight. Is that what you mean? I keep it running all the time especially in the winter. I have ceiling fans in all the bedrooms and living room which work great if the room is a little warm. I usually get cold sitting under them. The house is four years old.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:22 PM

455 posts, read 657,201 times
I've got central AC. All the folks who told me I didn't need it are the same ones who grow envious each June when temps climb into the 90's during the day. When the rains come (usually around July 4th), the temps drop and it's less of an issue. I prefer open windows and enjoying the cleanest air in the USA - but I like having the AC when I need it...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe