Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 09:12 PM

163 posts, read 171,600 times

Advertisements

Hello all! I have been to the incredible state of New Mexico once, but my fiance has been many times. His parents purchased a home near Alamogordo many years ago, so he's been to visit on many occasions. To make a very long story short, we're heading back to NM in September and I convinced him we should stop by Santa Fe for a few days before heading south. So... what are a few MUST SEE places/things/restaurants we should take in while we're there? I have always been fascinated with the city, so I wonder which places are a few we should add to the "New Mexico Bucket List."

Any tips, links, etc. are appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 10:09 AM

16,787 posts, read 49,068,148 times
I recently returned from a week long vacation in Santa Fe. Before I went I read through a long discussion thread here regarding the best restaurants and made this list below. We did not get to try them all out, but the restaurant that I was most impressed with was Cafe Pasquals, Santa Fe restaurant organic fresh downtown Cafe Pasquals Which is roughly one block SE of the Plaza.

The Santa Fe Plaza in the heart of downtown, has free live music and dancing most evenings Tuesday thru Sunday, that was a lot of fun, we went there every night. Every Friday night the Santa Fe Vintage Car Club has a gathering, parking all sorts of interesting antique and restored cars and low riders around the Plaza.

More things to do are listed at the bottom of this page.

===============================================
Restaurants in Santa Fe

These restaurants are recommended by locals in a Santa Fe discussion forum. *
https://www.city-data.com/forum/santa...a-fe-area.html

I’ve been making notes mostly on the ones that are within walking distance from our hotel, and a few that are on the shuttle bus route.* *
I listed the most expensive places at the bottom of the page.*

$ The Plaza Cafe - Santa Fe’s oldest restaurant
On West side of Plaza* 4.5 stars* 7am to 9pm
The Famous Plaza Cafe
Brkfst 7am - 11am* $7-$14 great choices
(limited all day brkfast menu)
Lunch & Dinner 11am - 9pm $4-$22

$ The Shed, 113-1/2 E. Palace St.* Highly recommended by some
but others say it is over-rated, no reservations, show up at 4:30pm to sign up and they will seat everyone first come first served.
1 block NE of the Plaza*
The Shed Restaurant. Best Burrito best Red Chili on the Santa Fe Plaza
NMex & shrimp menu lunch 11-2:30, $5-$12, Diner 5-9pm $5-$20

$$$ Anasazi Restaurant & Bar, 1/2 block NE of Plaza* Excellent Breakfast $14-$24
Rosewood Inn Of the Anasazi, 113 Washington Ave
Rosewood Anasazi Restaurant | Santa Fe Fine Dining
Dinner Starters $13-$16, Entree $18-$40

$$ SantaCafe - 3 blocks NNE of Plaza
231 Washington Ave
Lunch, happy hour, Dinner, *
Lunch 11:30-2pm, $5.50-$18, *
Dinner Entrees $9.50-$33
Winner Most Romantic and Memorable restaurant

$$$ St. Francis Hotel - Best table service, 1 block SE of La Fonda
Gourmet* breakfast $10-$18, lunch $10-$14 and dinner $38-$46

$ Blue Corn Brewery & Cafe, 1.5 blocks SW of Plaza
133 W Water St * 11am to 10pm
http://bluecorncafe.com* Indian - Mexican food, fry bread taco, green chili, ribs, enchiladas, shepards pie

$ Bobcat Bite - 1.5 blocks S of La Fonda
311 Old Santa Fe Trail - Food Network “Best Burger”*
Santa Fe green chile cheeseburgers downtown
“Famous Green Chili Cheeseburger $12.35” & others, steaks $17-$27, enchiladas $13-$19, etc.

$ Rooftop Pizzeria - 1/2 block West of La Fonda
Modern Italian cuisine including pizza, antipasti & wine in a sleek, top-floor space with patio. Salads $6-$12, Pastas $14-$20, Pizza $14-$22.
our patio perches you in position to watch the street life below or take in a spectacular Santa Fe sunset. Take the elevator or climb the stairs to the top of the Santa Fe Arcade shopping center – on the Water Street side – come up to the Rooftop!

$ Del Charro Restaurant - 2 Blks SW of Plaza* highly recommended
Inn of the Governors, 101 W Alameda St
Old west styled saloon w Tex-Mex !
11:30AM - midnight * $4 - $14
Burgers, burritos and numerous daily specials
https://delcharro.com/food-and-drinks/daily-specials/

$$$ Rio Chama Steakhouse - 2 blocks S of La Fonda* * Highly recommended!
414 Old Santa Fe Trail …. has the best tortilla soup
Menus
Lunch $7-$19
Dinner $16-$39

$$$ Guadalupe Cafe - 2 blocks S of La Fonda,* The Pink Adobe is next door.
406 Old Santa Fe Trail - closed Monday* Highly recommended!
Lunch 11am to 2pm $11-$15
Traditional mexican staples
Happy Hour 4-6pm
Dinner 5:30-9pm* $20-$38
Picturesque restaurant serving traditional Mexican staples in a cozy space with outdoor seating.

$ Cowgirl Bar & Grill - 5 blks SW of La Fonda
319 S Guadalupe St * 11:30am - 11:30 PM
Cowgirl BBQ | Santa Fe, NM | Southwestern Style Restaurant | Caterer
BBQ, seafood $ lots more $6-$18

$? Whole Hog Cafe BBQ, 4.5 star, 0.5 mile SW of La Fonda
320 S Guadalupe St
Award winning Memphis style BBQ
Whole Hog Cafe | World Champion Barbecue

$ Friend Larry B recommended,* 4.5 star
Clafoutis French Bakery & Restaurant
0.6n miles W of La Fonda,* 12 min walk, 6 blocks WNW
402 N Guadalupe St * hours 7am - 4pm
Low-key, French country-style spot for housemade baked goods & light breakfast/brunch/lunch fare.

$ La Choza - take the bus to Railyard W end* Highly recommended
905 Alarid St, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Voted #1 New Mexican restaurant*
11-2:30pm and 5-9pm
$11-14 Enchiladas, etc.
La Choza Restaurant, New Mexican Cooking, Santa Fe, New Mexico

$$$$$ La Casa Sena - 1 block E of Plaza
Sena Plaza, 125 E Palace Ave - Historic Adobe structure*
La Casa Sena
Lunch $14-$22
Dinner Entrees $25-$42, Enchiladas $15
Todos Santos Chocolates and Confections is right next door #31

Senior Murphy is a chocolate store inside La Fonda.

CG Higgins Confections is a chocolate store 1 block N of the Plaza
130 Lincoln Ave #B* C.G. Higgins - Unique Chocolates Using Distinct Santa Fe Flavors

$$$$ La Boca - 2 blocks N of Plaza
72 W Marcy St* Modern Spanish Cuisine
Tapas $4-$18, Lunch $10-$24* Dinner $10-$48

$$$$$ The Bull Ring - steak house - 1 block N of Plaza
150 Washington Ave #108
Best Steak in Santa Fe for 2015
Menu looks gourmet,* No prices on line*

$$$$$ Coyote Cafe & Rooftop Cantina - 1.5 blocks West SW of La Fonda
132 W Water St * 4 star*
Salmon $36, Lobster$42,* Filet Mignon $42

$$$$$ El Meson de Espana, 2.5 blocks N of Plaza
213 Washington Ave
El Mesón Santa Fe Restaurant & Tapas Bar With Live Music
Expensive Gourmet, entree alone $25-$40

===============================================
THINGS TO SEE AND DO IN SANTA FE, NEW MEXICO

I visited almost all of the museums. The one I enjoyed the most was this first one.

New Mexico Museum of Art - Directly NE of Plaza, 107 West Palace Ave
New Mexico Museum of Art | Santa Fe
Hours 10-5 $9.00 for non-residents.* Visitors can also pay $15.00 for non -residents and be admitted to two museums on the same day. These museums include the Museum of Indian Arts & Culture, Museum of International Folk Art, New Mexico Museum of Art, Palace of the Governor's or the New Mexico History Museum.
The building that houses the New Mexico Museum of Art was built in 1917 and was designed to look like a 300 year old mission church at Acoma. The pueblo's architecture is graceful yet simple.
CURRENT EXHIBITS
Southwestern Sampler SAM | Searchable Art Museum | New Mexico Museum of Art
Alcoves
Photos by Anne Noggle
Artists self portraits
Contemporary Voice Lloyd Kiva
Con Carino - artists inspired by low riders
The West Sculpture Garden is next to the St. Francis Auditorium and the O'Shaughnessy sculpture garden. Both areas are next to the new wing and can be enjoyed on a leisurely walk.

Georgia O’Keeffe Museum - 3 blocks East and one block N of the Plaza.*
https://www.okeeffemuseum.org
The buildings are both Pueblo Revival-style buildings that are located only two blocks from the Santa Fe Plaza and received renovations in 1997 and 2001.
The works include 146 oil paintings, 3 sculptures, 26 charcoal drawings, 18 clay works, 16 pencil drawings 672 sketches and 149 photographs. They range in subjects from flowers, desert skulls, nudes, cityscapes and landscapes and still life's. *

Hotel St. Francis
The Hotel St. Francis is located in Santa Fe, New Mexico and offers a culturally inspired escape with modern amenities. The hotel is within walking distance of many of Santa Fe's best shopping, dining and entertainment destinations and just one block from the Santa Fe Plaza. Guests can dine onsite at a variety of restaurants including the Tabla de Los Santos Restaurant featuring a menu of Mexican favorites with a modern flare or Secreto Bar and Loggia, offering fresh fruit cocktails, tropical drinks and an extensive wine list. *

New Mexico History Museum & Palace of the Governors - on block directly N of Plaza
http://www.nmhistorymuseum.org
Palace of the Governors
113 Lincoln Avenue
Santa Fe, NM 87501
$9.00 for non-residents.* Visitors can also pay $15.00 for non -residents and be admitted to two museums on the same day. These museums include the Museum of Indian Arts & Culture, Museum of International Folk Art, New Mexico Museum of Art, Palace of the Governor's or the New Mexico History Museum.

Museum of Contemporary Native Arts - on block N of La Fonda. *
108 Cathedral Place, one block east of the historic Santa Fe Plaza and directly across from St. Francis Cathedral Basilica.
https://iaia.edu/iaia-museum-of-cont...y-native-arts/
Digital collection Museum of Contemporary Native Arts
Hours 10-5 closed Tuesdays.* Admission $10
The IAIA Museum of Contemporary Native Arts (MoCNA) holds the premier collection of contemporary Native American art in the world from Native American, First Nations and other Indigenous peoples.*

Loretta Chapel - 1 block south of LA FONDA
207 Old Santa Fe Trail*
is a former Roman Catholic church that is now used as a museum and wedding chapel.* It is known for its unusual helix-shaped spiral staircase (the "Miraculous Stair").

St. Francis Cathedral Basilica - Due East of La Fonda
131 Cathedral Plaza
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cathed...sisi_(Santa_Fe)
The Cathedral Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi, commonly known as Saint Francis Cathedral, is a Roman Catholic cathedral in downtown Santa Fe. *
The cathedral was built by Archbishop Jean Baptiste Lamy between 1869 and 1886 on the site of an older adobe church, La Parroquia (built in 1714–1717). An older church on the same site, built in 1626, was destroyed in the 1680 Pueblo Revolt. The new cathedral was built around La Parroquia, which was dismantled once the new construction was complete. A small chapel on the north side of the cathedral was kept from the old church.

Museum of International Folk Art* - drive 2.2 miles SE of* downtown*
706 Camino Lejo, Santa Fe, NM. Hours 10:00 am to 5:00 pm.*
$9.00 for non-residents. Visitors can also pay $15.00 for non -residents and be admitted to two museums on the same day. These museums include the Museum of Indian Arts & Culture, Museum of International Folk Art, New Mexico Museum of Art, Palace of the Governor's or the New Mexico History Museum.

Santa Fe Art Galleries near La Fonda on the Plaza
* Andrea Fisher Fine Pottery - 100 W San Francisco Street
* Bue Rain Gallery*-*130 Lincoln Avenue, Suite C
* Manitou Galleries - 123 West Palace Avenue; 225 Canyon Road
* Monroe Gallery of Photography - 112 Don Gaspar Avenue
* Owings Gallery*-*120 E Marcy St
* Pop Gallery - 125 Lincoln Avenue Suite 111
* Shiprock Santa Fe - 53 Old Santa Fe Trail
* S R Brennen Gallery - 555 Canyon Road
* Wade Wilson Art - 217 West Water Street
* Wyeth Hurd Gallery - 206 East Palace Avenue

CANYON ROAD* - 0.7 miles East of the Plaza Cafe
Over 100 galleries, Boutiques and Restaurants in one half mile. *

The free Santa Fe Pick-Up shuttle runs every 15 minutes. Catch it at stops marked “Pick It Up Here”—there are two on Canyon Road and one nearby, at Alameda and Paseo de Peralta. The shuttle will drop passengers off anywhere along the route (safety permitting).
***Free Santa Fe Pick-Up to Canyon Road
Route
The Santa Fe Pick-Up route starts and ends on Montezuma Avenue, near the Railyard, and runs counterclockwise around downtown, with stops at:
The Capitol/PERA Building
The Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi (East of La Fonda)
The Main Library/City Hall
The Santa Fe Community Convention Center/Santa Fe Plaza
The Eldorado and Hilton Hotels
Canyon Road
Alameda and Paseo de Peralta

Shuttle Hours
Monday–Friday, 6:30 am–6:30 pm
Map* http://www.santafenm.gov/santa_fe_pickup_shuttle* Map images attached.

Rail yard Neighborhood, Site* *

Last edited by CptnRn; 08-05-2016 at 10:52 AM..

Old 08-05-2016, 11:25 AM

1,992 posts, read 4,061,735 times
Don't miss Meow Wolf. It is so cool and interesting.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/21/t-...rtin.html?_r=0

Art collective builds a dream house in Santa Fe with millions of dollars — and junk - LA Times

https://meowwolf.com/

Old 08-05-2016, 03:22 PM

212 posts, read 371,514 times
In Santa Fe:

Santa Fe Plaza
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Fe_Plaza

The Palace Of The Governors
Palace of the Governors

St. Francis Of Assisi Cathedral
https://www.cbsfa.org/

Georgia O'Keefe Museum
https://www.okeeffemuseum.org/

Aspen Basin Recreation Area
Santa Fe - Aspen Basin Area

Near Santa Fe:

The High Road To Taos
TOURISM Santa Fe Taos and the High Road

Bandalier National Monument
https://www.nps.gov/band/index.htm

Nambe Falls
Namb Falls & Namb Lake - Santa Fe, NM - About Namb

Los Alamos, home of the Manhattan Project
Visit Los Alamos | Online Visitor Guide for Los Alamos, New Mexico

Abiquiu Lake
Abiquiu Dam & Lake Recreation Area

Old 08-06-2016, 11:56 AM

WOW! I can't thank you all enough for the awesome suggestions, and thank you @Cptnrn for that really comprehensive list and taking the time to put it all together!

I saw a few things about that Meow Wolf - looks intriguing?? hahah I am very excited to spend a few days in this beautiful city! Thanks again all, and I'll post some photos when we return

Old 08-10-2016, 10:28 PM

958 posts, read 1,147,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeshee1 View Post
WOW! I can't thank you all enough for the awesome suggestions, and thank you @Cptnrn for that really comprehensive list and taking the time to put it all together!

I saw a few things about that Meow Wolf - looks intriguing?? hahah I am very excited to spend a few days in this beautiful city! Thanks again all, and I'll post some photos when we return
Meow wolf. Go. Highly recommended. Tip: go early and give yourself hours to absorb.

Old 09-12-2016, 01:18 PM

We leave tomorrow, very excited! Plan to spend 2 days in Santa Fe then head South and see the White Sands Balloon Invitational, visit Carlsbad Caverns, and of course pay a visit to beautiful Cloudcroft and Ruidoso! May also stop by Las Cruces just to see the mountains there as well Thanks to all for the tips and information, I'll be sure to update when we return
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe