Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2016, 12:14 PM

5,066 posts, read 7,486,698 times

Advertisements

Paris has always embraced and even defined modernity, which Santa Fe rejects in an effort to maintain its historic "Style". Paris' style could be called grandiose and forward-looking, with skyscrapers, monumental architecture, grand boulevards, and dozens of buildings over 30 stories high which could never exist in Santa Fe. By contrast Santa Fe looks to the past and focuses on maintaining a very humble, low profile through its small, low adobe-style architecture--totally different from Paris to me.

Santa Fe is Santa Fe, there is no place like it and it does not need to be compared to a European city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2016, 01:20 PM

102,330 posts, read 108,561,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
As for Santa Fe being an "art center" equal to Paris, it has been said it is second only to NYC in art sales and NYC may well outsell Paris - or close. I have my doubts. Lots of hype involved.
No, what is said is that both NYC and SF are 2nd in art sales after Paris, but that NYC is 2nd in terms of sheer volume of art, while SF is 2nd in the value ($$) of art sold.

Old 09-27-2016, 05:58 PM

4,280 posts, read 9,199,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
No, what is said is that both NYC and SF are 2nd in art sales after Paris, but that NYC is 2nd in terms of sheer volume of art, while SF is 2nd in the value ($$) of art sold.
Actually, China has dominated the art markets in recent years, vying with the U.S. in volume of sales via art auctions.
Quote:
Artprice.com: Defying all forecasts: China upped 18%, dominated the global Art Market in the first half of 2016
Here is a recent ranking of 15 world cities most influential in the contemporary art markets, and Santa Fe doesn't even make the list.

https://www.artsy.net/article/artsy-editorial-contemporary-art-s-most-influential-cities

Old 09-28-2016, 01:31 PM

963 posts, read 2,307,438 times
You are all focused on numbers... this is not an economics lesson. Nor is it that the criteria for my comparison. I don't travel to be impressed by statistics, I go to soak in the spirit and passion of the place and its people. The creativity that I see in Santa Fe, and the visual impression it makes, has a richness enhanced by borrowing from the past. It cares about aesthetics and has superb taste. These are two things that are often bulldozed over in the name of corporate interests in most American cities. In that sense, it reminds me of Paris, France which has the good sense to retain much of its historic architecture and culture (that is what draws the tourists after all) while certain sectors of the city serve the corporate sector. However, the focus on aesthetics and good taste are something I see Santa Fe and Paris sharing in common.

To each his own. It's alright if you don't share my sentiments. Yet, I have found Santa Fe to be my first choice when I want to visit a local city that provides an urbane visual immersion in a historic culture in a way that moved me to visit Paris again and again. It satisfies my eye and my heart in the same way. Santa Fe has her classic Anasazi beauty, Paris her Baroque. They are both outstandingly beautiful in their own right.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Design7 View Post
To each his own...Santa Fe has her classic Anasazi beauty, Paris her Baroque. They are both outstandingly beautiful in their own right.
If I were to pick a city in the USA that rivals Paris, it would be San Francisco. On the other hand, most Europeans coming to the USA for the first time want to see NYC first. Coming in third, IMO, would be New Orleans with its Cajun cuisine/culture and seafood.

Not to diss Santa Fe by any means. It's unique in it's own right, but just doesn't cut it as a world-class destination for most folks. In a class with Santa Fe I'd put Leavenworth, WA - where the architecture must mimic traditional Bavarian and the Alpine setting is spectacular.

Old 09-28-2016, 07:56 PM

4,711 posts, read 3,491,489 times
Quote:
Beautiful take on Santa Fe!

Old 09-28-2016, 07:59 PM

102,330 posts, read 108,561,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
If I were to pick a city in the USA that rivals Paris, it would be San Francisco. On the other hand, most Europeans coming to the USA for the first time want to see NYC first. Coming in third, IMO, would be New Orleans with its Cajun cuisine/culture and seafood.

Not to diss Santa Fe by any means. It's unique in it's own right, but just doesn't cut it as a world-class destination for most folks. In a class with Santa Fe I'd put Leavenworth, WA - where the architecture must mimic traditional Bavarian and the Alpine setting is spectacular.
Europeans do tend to say that San Francisco feels very European. As to Leavenworth, unfortunately, forest fires in the area have severely affected the scenery from town. Santa Fe is much bigger than Leavenworth, too. Taos might be a better comparison to Leavenworth.

Old 09-28-2016, 08:01 PM

4,711 posts, read 3,491,489 times
Quote:
You are all focused on numbers... this is not an economics lesson. Nor is it that the criteria for my comparison. I don't travel to be impressed by statistics, I go to soak in the spirit and passion of the place and its people. The creativity that I see in Santa Fe, and the visual impression it makes, has a richness enhanced by borrowing from the past. It cares about aesthetics and has superb taste. These are two things that are often bulldozed over in the name of corporate interests in most American cities. In that sense, it reminds me of Paris, France which has the good sense to retain much of its historic architecture and culture (that is what draws the tourists after all) while certain sectors of the city serve the corporate sector. However, the focus on aesthetics and good taste are something I see Santa Fe and Paris sharing in common.

To each his own. It's alright if you don't share my sentiments. Yet, I have found Santa Fe to be my first choice when I want to visit a local city that provides an urbane visual immersion in a historic culture in a way that moved me to visit Paris again and again. It satisfies my eye and my heart in the same way. Santa Fe has her classic Anasazi beauty, Paris her Baroque. They are both outstandingly beautiful in their own right.
You're definitely a Romantic!

Old 09-29-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
As to Leavenworth, unfortunately, forest fires in the area have severely affected the scenery from town.
Not that I noticed, and I was there earlier this month. There are some burned areas visible on the surrounding peaks but they don't distract from the ambiance, IMO. I mentioned the comparison with Santa Fe only because of the similarity with enforced architectural designs in both towns.
Attached Thumbnails
Santa Fe, New Mexico is America's Paris France...-leavenworth.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: