Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2009, 03:37 PM

293 posts, read 973,758 times

Advertisements

I've never been before, so it was a real treat today to attend Indian Market. We arrived about 8am and stayed until 10:30. There were crowds of people, but it wasn't packed and we were able to get up close to most of the artist displays and even watch a few demonstrations. When I drove back past the Plaza around 1pm, there were people everywhere! I'm very glad I went early.

If anyone plans to attend tomorrow, bring a hat because it was very sunny and the angle of the sun made it hard to see into some of the booths.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2009, 05:22 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,047,456 times
We also went to the Indian Market for the first time today. It was wonderful!!! We bought two beautiful pieces of art, plus got to talk to many really neat people.

I agree with Cynanthus -- going early is the best option, before the crowds arrive. We got there at about 9:30 a.m. and left at noon. It was just beginning to get crowded when we left.

For anyone who is concerned about parking, this is a good option: We parked at Santa Fe Place Mall and took the shuttle into the Plaza for $1.00 per person. That's the senior discount - regular price is $2.00 per person. The shuttle bus drops you off at Sandoval and Alameda, about two blocks from the Plaza, and eliminates all the hassle of parking. There is also a shuttle from DeVargas Mall.

Last edited by Towanda; 08-22-2009 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-23-2009, 10:14 AM

974 posts, read 2,351,036 times
I volunteered for SWAIA on Friday and Saturday, and recommend my fellow locals do the same next year. It's a great way to help the organization, meet others interested in Indian arts, meet artists and be among the first to see a lot of pieces. Oh, you get a free tee shirt too!

This is the second year I've volunteered and it looked to me like the crowds were down some. It'll be interesting to read the papers and find out how successful this year's event was. At one event I was at you would never know there was a recession as patrons were lining up to buy a number of fairly expensive artwork and jewelry - but that's certainly no indication of this year's overall success.

Anyhow it's a great time in Santa Fe. The weather is beautiful (maybe a bit too warm), the plaza area looks great and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Last night I walked around the plaza after everyone had gone and it was just so peaceful and pretty. Makes me long for Fall to arrive and the throngs to leave....

Old 08-23-2009, 10:55 AM

475 posts, read 1,270,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post

Anyhow it's a great time in Santa Fe. The weather is beautiful (maybe a bit too warm), the plaza area looks great and everyone seems to be enjoying themselves. Last night I walked around the plaza after everyone had gone and it was just so peaceful and pretty. Makes me long for Fall to arrive and the throngs to leave....
Agreed. Fall is my favorite season -- tourism is off and weather is perfect.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:15 AM

3,011 posts, read 10,047,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatSantaFe View Post

I hear ya.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:32 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,945,178 times
"For the past ninety years, Santa Fe Indian Market has brought together the most gifted Native American artists from the U.S. with millions of visitors and collectors from around the world."

Santa Fe Indian Market: About SWAIA

Old 08-26-2016, 08:49 PM

102,336 posts, read 108,561,117 times
Does anyone know how this years Market compares to the past, for the artists' earnings? Was it a successful Market? I think revenues have been down since 2008. IMO back in the 90's it was doing much better.

Old 08-27-2016, 06:39 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,402,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Does anyone know how this years Market compares to the past, for the artists' earnings? Was it a successful Market? I think revenues have been down since 2008. IMO back in the 90's it was doing much better.
Years ago, I was friends with some dealers in American Indian art and even bought and tried to buy and then re-sell a few items myself.

My general impression is that public interest in American Indian art was extremely high in the 1990s as the collecting public followed the trends generated by Hollywood (Dances With Wolves kicked off the trend). The ground work for the Smithsonian's Native American museum was also laid in the 1990s and Santa Fe style design was in. Public television put out a lot of new Native American documentaries, one of which was narrated by Kevin Costner- and lots of collectors of any kind of art watch public television.

But, in the late 1990s, there seemed to be a very noticeable slow down as the collecting public's interest went elsewhere. I could not sell many of the modern pottery pieces that I bought at any where near fair prices for the level of skill involved in making them. Fortunately, I did not have too much money invested. My poor friends, however, had to close their shop.

Last edited by Cryptic; 08-27-2016 at 06:52 AM..

Old 08-27-2016, 08:31 AM

4,280 posts, read 9,199,796 times
I was caught up in the craze that swept the country in the 1970s when turquoise and leather came into vogue, along with fancy western wear both "cowboy" and "Indian." I wore turquoise-inlaid necklaces, watch band, belts and buckles with my bell-bottoms and balloon-sleeve shirts in "paisley" colors. Oh yeah - and those awful polyester pants!

Old 08-27-2016, 09:37 AM

1,535 posts, read 1,402,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joqua View Post
I was caught up in the craze that swept the country in the 1970s when turquoise and leather came into vogue, along with fancy western wear both "cowboy" and "Indian." I wore turquoise-inlaid necklaces, watch band, belts and buckles with my bell-bottoms and balloon-sleeve shirts
You should have seen the rough cut "Mountain Man" coat with the copious quantities of fringe handing everywhere that I was so proud of. At the time, I never thought I looked strange or corny walking around the suburbs with it on. Today, I would not be caught dead with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
View detailed profiles of: