Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe
 [Register]
Santa Fe Santa Fe County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 04:06 PM

13 posts, read 80,567 times

Advertisements

My partner and I have been dreaming of moving to Santa Fe for about a year now. As a young lesbian couple, we are excited about the possibility of raising a family in a city that welcomes diversity and has a lot of culture. I am a little scared about the cost of living after reading through some of these forums. Is it expensive to live there in general or just to buy a home?

For example, how much is a movie ticket, a gallon of gas, a gallon of milk, dinner for two at a family style resturant??

And as for the job oppurtunities out there-

I am looking to work with the elderly or retirement population. Ideally as an Activities Director or Adult Daycare Director. Any thoughts as to how diffucult it will be to get into this field?

My partner is looking to start her own Party Planning Buisness. She has only 1 year experience in the field but is excellent at what she does and we are both willing to sacrafice in order for her to get her feet in the door in a new city. Any locals who know if Santa Fe is already overrun with Party Planners? I am hoping someone can give us some advise as to how we might actuall be able to make this dream a reality!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2007, 09:56 AM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Cost of living is quite high in Santa Fe, but that is for me, living in a cheaper part of NM. Ive spoken to people nationwide who spent time in Santa Fe and prices didnt phase them.
Last time i was there gas: $3.40, Milk $2.99 12 oz beer $9.00 (though it was in a hotel beside the palace), dinner for two in the Blue *something* cost me $26, really reasonable, especially considering their portions, im a big man and couldnt finish it.

Call the Santa Fe Chamber of Commerce for job listings etc.

Old 06-18-2007, 01:35 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,178,279 times
$9 for 12 ounces of beer? That is unconscionable.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:01 PM

7,599 posts, read 18,404,425 times
Yeah, tell me about it. I only bought the one though.

Old 06-18-2007, 02:55 PM

3,011 posts, read 10,025,226 times
susiek:

I go to Santa Fe every year, and yes, some things are expensive, such as housing costs. It depends where you are coming from, actually. Compared to some states on the East and West Coast, you might find housing costs a little cheaper in SF. BUT compared to the rest of New Mexico, housing in Santa Fe is quite high.

Restaurants can be all over the place, from reasonable to extremely expensive. Same with stores....there are very pricey stores and there are reasonable stores. Wal-mart is there and has the same prices as my Wal-Mart here in Kansas. Gas prices are about the same (maybe a few cents more) than what we pay in Kansas.

When we go to Santa Fe, we do not eat down on the Plaza in the very expensive restaurants. You can get food that is just as GOOD at some of the cheaper places. We generally get very nice dinners for under $30 for the two of us.

Old 06-18-2007, 04:03 PM

13 posts, read 80,567 times
Default Housing

Thanks for the replies to my plea, it's much appreciated! I have one more question for any locals that might be reading this.

Supposing I can, by some miracle, afford to purchase a home in Santa Fe- Is the value of my property likely to increase, what do the current trends look like? Anyone sold there home in Santa Fe recently, if so how long was your home on the market and did you get what you were asking?

Old 06-18-2007, 04:06 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,113,560 times
Some friends sold their home in a good to great part of Santa Fe for an excellent profit. They relocated and wanted to go back to Santa Fe--the same property had increased at least another $100,000--so my guess is there is considerably good re-sale value for good to very good properties. However, when I was last in town (March), I saw a great number of properties for sale.

Old 08-19-2007, 07:24 PM

6 posts, read 25,527 times
Santa Fe is currently a buyers market, but so far the values seem to be holding and/or increasing still. There are a lot of new spec homes here, as well as many "mixed" neighborhoods - $1million + home, next to a trailer or car on blocks in front yard, so be careful where you buy - a neighborhood with covenants will help hold your value. good luck

Old 08-19-2007, 07:29 PM

6 posts, read 25,527 times
to answer another part of your question- you should not have problems getting jobs here. They always need help in the senior citizen communities, (we have one of the first communities catoring primarily to gay and lesbian seniors), and as far as your partner's business, santa fe is very supportive of local small businesses. Her work would probably be some what seasonal, but there are several gallery openings every friday night, she would have to get into those circles... good luck

Old 10-14-2008, 05:27 PM

2 posts, read 7,561 times
Has SusieK moved to Santa Fe yet? If so, how's it going for you as I'm considering moving to the area and don't know much about it other than the internet and books I've read/peruse? I am considering moving down from Colorado during the 1st quarter of next year.

Any feedback will help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New Mexico > Santa Fe