Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 07:40 AM

14 posts, read 32,614 times

Advertisements

I've accepted a job offer and will be travelling between all counties. Need to find a home quickly, can anyone recommend which county may have the best resale, etc. I could consider Manatee County as well, as I'm trying to stay close to I75 or 41 for easy interstate access and stumbled onto a relatively nice area there, someone told me it bordered Sarasota and Manatee. Anyways any help is appreicated. Looking to spend 200k but can go higher to live in a more desirable area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2012, 08:15 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
I don't think any county has a better resale then the next. Certain, specific areas sell better than others. Since it seems as though you have a lot of research to do in a short amount of time, you might want to consider renting. I'd hate for you to purchase a home and not be happy with your decision because you were rushed.

Can you give us a little more info so we can suggest areas? Are schools important to you? Do you want a gated community or not? Pool or no pool? What size home? Newer or does it matter? Condo or single family home? Do you have any pets? What area did you stumble on that you liked?

Old 01-15-2012, 08:30 AM

I started in Manatee County and liked the area that borders Sarasota county. Been to Venice which I liked, threads seem to state the negatives are too man retiree's which doesn't bother me. I liked Northport although the forum seems to bash it, the area I saw seemed very nice around Toledo or Summer?
I went further south to Deep Creek and didn't car for it. Met some nice people and they said if I liked the area where I started, I would probably love Cape Coral, Estero or Fort Myers. So it seems like a lot of ground to cover. I've posted on that forum as well. Even if I rent, seems like I still have a tough decision as to where??? I have no children, but have a dog. Prefer to be within a close proximity to beaches.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:54 AM

7,511 posts, read 22,922,074 times
If you're looking to stay under $200K, be close to the interstate and be in an area with newer homes, I'd suggest looking at:

Charlotte Ranchettes in Punta Gorda, most properties are on acreage
Creekside in Punta Gorda
Lakeside Plantation in North Port and pretty much all of North Port would fit what you're looking for.
Many areas in Port Charlotte would also work for you.
Stoneybrook in Venice
Summerfield Village in Lakewood Ranch
Suncoast Lakes in Port Charlotte

Old 01-15-2012, 12:11 PM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
There are a number of neighborhoods near the Unversity Parkway area of south Manatee county that may have homes for sale in the $200,000 or under price range that may meet your needs, although not all may have active listings for sale at this time.

These neighborhoods include:
Regal Oaks
Briarwood
Lionshead
The Trails
Cottages at Blu Vista
Tara
River Place
Sabal Harbour
Creekwood
Copper Ridge
Longpond at Mote Ranch
Chaparral
Silver Lakes
Garden Lakes Estates
Fairfax
Harborage on Braden River
Riversound (some new construction still available)
Woodbrook (new constructon, as of last week there were a couple of new construction homes to be finished in January and February that were not yet sold)
Greenfield Plantation
Country Creek
Country Oaks
Glenbrooke
University Pines
Palm Lakes (technically condos, but units are free standing, like a home)

Just south of University Parkway, in north Sarasota county:
Cedar Creek
Longwood Run

Old 01-16-2012, 08:46 AM

I am assigned to cover a territory of all three conties and required to visit each county at least once per week. So I kinda thought being in the middle made more sense too, but not feeling Port Charlotte yet. I recalled the area I visited and it's University Park and Lakewood Ranch which I did like as well as some cute developments in Northport. The threads on CCD fee's was overwhelming, I don't see it as an issue considering the ammenities and overall appearance. However, I will continue my due diligence and thank everyone for their insights thus far.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:25 AM

287 posts, read 589,976 times
Ready for Fla, Palmer Ranch would be in the middle of your travel range and is best for your resale concerns. It is the only ranch within the 4 counties you mentioned that's closest to the best beach in the USA. When the peak (in 7-8 years) of the baby boomers retiring are looking for a real close beach community this is where most will come driving prices insanely high as there is little land left near the best beach. Read about my other posts where most realtors live in Sarasota. Check out Turtle Rock you'll love it. Costco will be 3 minutes away. A store that many buyers look for when relocating - increasing resale value. Good Luck!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:30 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readyforfl View Post
I am assigned to cover a territory of all three conties and required to visit each county at least once per week. So I kinda thought being in the middle made more sense too, but not feeling Port Charlotte yet. I recalled the area I visited and it's University Park and Lakewood Ranch which I did like as well as some cute developments in Northport. The threads on CCD fee's was overwhelming, I don't see it as an issue considering the ammenities and overall appearance. However, I will continue my due diligence and thank everyone for their insights thus far.
IMO, you can't beat the communities on University Parkway. It's a beautiful area, well located and near some of the best shopping/dining in the region with more coming. University Park and Lakewood Ranch are probably the two most popular in the area.

Good luck to you!

Old 01-16-2012, 09:45 AM

287 posts, read 589,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
IMO, you can't beat the communities on University Parkway. It's a beautiful area, well located and near some of the best shopping/dining in the region with more coming. University Park and Lakewood Ranch are probably the two most popular in the area.

Good luck to you!
Lakewood Ranch has so much vacant land until build out. This fact along with the CDD fees will not make it good for resale in the short run. The idea is you want to buy in such a way making your home liquid (that it can be sold at any time - need be with a profit) in case you lose a job, etc.

Old 01-16-2012, 10:41 AM

4,615 posts, read 7,539,060 times
Palmer Ranch and Lakewood Ranch are both great master planned communities. There are positives and negatives to both. (Speaking of negatives, I didn't hear a peep from a certain poster about the pinhole pipe leaks found in many of the homes in Palmer Ranch communities built in the 1990's. )

I do have to dispute the claim that Lakewood Ranch homes will not be good for resale in the short run since sales in LWR were up in 2011 and anyone that has been looking at homes there in the past few months can tell you that sales prices are up and multiple offers on resale homes are now more common.

Lakewood Ranch new home sales surpass resales in 2011 | January 10, 2012 | Michael Braga | Inside Real Estate

Per the article:
The average price of a resale in Lakewood Ranch last year was $364,171, as opposed to the average in Sarasota/Manatee of $229,984.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area