Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area
 [Register]
Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area Manatee and Sarasota Counties
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2024, 04:34 PM

369 posts, read 368,308 times

Advertisements

Just moved here, I'm retired, and this place fits me much better than Texas. Usually we hit the beach on weekdays, South Lido Beach, shade for the wife. Went this Sunday, not a good choice. Any better weekend beaches? BTW, some bad music being played there, and the 60 something retiree crowd was replaced. Being a retired cop, not that much fun. Didn't look like my neighbors where we live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2024, 05:57 PM

25,871 posts, read 12,910,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Just moved here, I'm retired, and this place fits me much better than Texas. Usually we hit the beach on weekdays, South Lido Beach, shade for the wife. Went this Sunday, not a good choice. Any better weekend beaches? BTW, some bad music being played there, and the 60 something retiree crowd was replaced. Being a retired cop, not that much fun. Didn't look like my neighbors where we live.
Shade + beach is in short supply here, & its only weekends that the conditions there get like you describe at that spot on S Lido.

M-F, that spot is Nirvana. Its also one of the best places to beach it on a windy day.

Next time, if you must go on a weekend, try just in front of the Lido beach concession stand under the Sea Grape trees. There's some shade just to the left of there nearer the inlet's edge too..but not much.

Directly across the channel from the spot you tried, is a small beach on Siesta Key off North Shell Road. There's only parking alley there for ~18 cars, but there is some shade there for parts of the day. No restrooms though. Mostly locals know about it. Weekends, get there before 10.

I hate lugging a large beach umbrella around, so I bought a small umbrella that clamps to the back of my beach chair. It doesn't hold up to wind well but works well on a calm day. I bought it at Bed Bath & Beyond for $20 ~ 5yrs ago and still use it now.

Old 04-14-2024, 06:20 PM

17,554 posts, read 39,191,005 times
When we were still living in Sarasota, we liked the area in front of the concession stand. It was worth it to bring beach umbrellas which provide decent shade, and the restrooms (and refreshments) are nearby.

No guarantees on who will be there or what music will be playing. I have had good and bad experiences but I think that is just normal when going to the beach.

Old 04-14-2024, 06:41 PM

2,357 posts, read 2,316,102 times
The north shore of Anna Maria Island has some shade.

Old 04-15-2024, 04:44 PM

4,626 posts, read 7,557,874 times
South Anna Maria Island, Coquina Beach, has lots of trees for shade.

Old 04-19-2024, 06:51 AM

Thanks all. It's all good. Went to Anna Maria, Coquina Beach and Manatee Beach. We will just pass on Sundays, or wait for our umbrella purchase. S Lido for a couple week days works out fine.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:31 PM

133 posts, read 181,406 times
Quote:
You need to remind yourself that you're retired. Go to the busy areas when people are working and stay home or do errands when people aren't. Happy retirement- you're in paradise.

Old Today, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty80 View Post
You need to remind yourself that you're retired. Go to the busy areas when people are working and stay home or do errands when people aren't. Happy retirement- you're in paradise.
Walmart on weekdays. We figured out the shopping thing in Texas. New to the beach thing. But now we got it down. we have our spot. And a house with a caged, built in pool for the weekends.

Old Today, 06:38 PM

25,871 posts, read 12,910,007 times
Quote:
Walmart on weekdays. We figured out the shopping thing in Texas. New to the beach thing. But now we got it down. we have our spot. And a house with a caged, built in pool for the weekends.
Good for you! This area has a rhythm to it, & the sooner you get atuned to it, the better.

It centers around the seasonal population change, which is substantial.

It also has a fainter background beat to it on weekdays, versus weekends...& that goes on all year long.

If you learn how to steer around the tourists, & snowbirds, and full time workers, you'll find the sweet spots.

It's frustrating having to limit your life in this way, & it wears you down after some # of yrs.. I've been back in FLA for 7 yrs now, & its getting to me more & more. Of course, the population explosion is getting bigger too, so there's that.

After this Friday (May 10th), you'll notice another large drop in population here.

I keep telling myself, there's no snow, ice storms, state sales tax, cold weather, or heavy traffic like Atlanta had.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Sarasota - Bradenton - Venice area