Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 AM

39 posts, read 394,383 times

Advertisements

Is there anywhere around Savannah that you can take your dog to the beach with you? Our lab would have a ball there, but I know that Tybee does not allow them. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2007, 11:07 AM

11,396 posts, read 24,465,484 times
You have to go to SC for that.

Please don't take your dogs to any of the islands that you can only reach by boat. There are many rare species of birds who use those beaches for nesting. And despite how wonderful your dog may be, dogs tend to sniff out the nests, which are often only shallow depressions in the sand. And then, without you seeing a thing, they can cause a great deal of harm.

Old 07-23-2007, 05:07 PM

Default Seriously?

Are you serious that I have to go to SC to take my dog to the beach? Where? I've taken her to Hunting Island, but we were hoping to find somewhere closer to us now that we live here. And we don't plan to go via boat to any islands, btw as we do not own a boat. Also, we keep her leashed when out in public with her, so getting a bird/turtle nest would not be an issue.

Old 07-23-2007, 06:33 PM

Here you go. https://www.gashpo.org/content/displ...xtDocument=405

I'm not making these things up.

Hunting Island is probably closer; but it looks like you can go to Jekyll or St. Simon's if it makes you feel better to stay in the state.

Last edited by ellie; 07-23-2007 at 08:06 PM..

Old 07-24-2007, 12:33 PM

It is not a matter of staying in the state- that is just silly. I was simply trying to find the closest one to me.

Old 07-24-2007, 05:13 PM

Okay, then it's Hilton Head, SC.

Here are the regs. Shore Beach Services - Beach Ordinances ~ Hilton Head Island South Carolina ~ Providing beach services, beach rentals, patrol, and summer lifeguarding jobs for the Hilton Head Island SC area.

Animals are also restricted at certain times
(Read carefully, this one can be confusing)

* Are not permitted between 10am&5pm from Friday before Memorial Day through Labor Day
* Must be on a leash between 10am&5pm from April 1 through Thursday before Memorial Day & between 10am& 5pm from Tuesday after Labor Day through September 30 ·
* Must be on a leash or under voice control at all other times

* Persons in control of any animal on the beach are required to remove and dispose of the animal's excrement.

Old 11-21-2007, 08:10 AM

9 posts, read 80,187 times
Default dogs on the beach

I agree that is silly! I was hoping to take our lab out on the beach..we are moving to Whitemarsh Island and I was thinking that we could take her to Tybee Beach. We took her to St. Simons Island and she went in the water for the first time in her life (she is 7). I hated Waycross though so chose to go closer to Savannah. That sucks that there are no dogs allowed on the beach! Don't want to have to drive 2 hours so the dog can go too.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:24 PM

3 posts, read 46,048 times
They should totally allow dogs in Tybee Beach... they should just set a specific area for that so that it's controlled.

Old 02-14-2008, 02:15 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,192,866 times
Nothing quite like walking on the beach barefooted and stepping in a pile of doggie doo. People just don't pick the stuff up. I have even seen it floating in the water at the edge of the waves. Yuck!!!

Now, if they would just outlaw toddlers with disposible diapers.........

Old 02-14-2008, 05:35 PM

While we are outlawing things on the beach...how about cigarette butts (just 'cause it's so nasty) and peanut shells left everywhere...I have a son who is VERY allergic to peanuts and it has been an issue more than once...and yeah, if you don't pick up your dog poo or diapers, it should be picked up for you and left on your car. By someone other than me...ewww
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area