Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 09:57 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,200,619 times

Advertisements

PLEASE NOTE:

The start and most of the postings on this thread are over two years old. Things have changed in all areas since then. Some for the better, and some for the worse. Jobs are not plentiful. If you have one, stay where you are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 06:01 PM

15 posts, read 72,532 times
Savannah was paradise when I was there, till 2008.

Left for a professional job and I'm sorry I did. I was happier waiting tables in Savannah.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:04 AM

3 posts, read 3,543 times
Savannah, Ga, is fine for vacationing, but unless you Know People Here or Have relatives here I would NOT
advise it, we've been here for 8 months on my husband's job, and it has been a nightmare,
Hospitals are NOT GOOD, very very weird laws, and crime is rampant especially downtown. Denist office bad experience, people are very rude, once they find out you're going to move here.
I cannot find a job here, and by the way they are a very tight area, meaning everyone knows everyone.

Go to where you both can find jobs. The schools are Not good either. we're leaving soon, hopefully.

Old 03-25-2011, 09:13 AM

55 posts, read 118,651 times
cheeta789...sorry you're having such a rough time. Some of us newbies are doing very well and I just didn't want yours to be the last comment and it be negative.

Love Savannah and the people. We're living on the Islands and it feels very safe and the public schools are great on the Island.

I did visit a dentist here that had a very nice new office and they totally wanted me to finance the new office so I'm going to another office for a 2nd opinion.

Haven't noticed any weird laws but I did love that at the St. Pat's parade everyone was polite even though they'd consumed and carried open containers. Also love that beggars/panhandlers are not allowed and quickly arrested or asked to leave.

Everyone does seem to know everyone because they're THAT FRIENDLY down here! If you meet someone once you remember them and be sure to greet them with a smile the next time you see them. After the 2nd time you start asking about their kids and their dogs by name. Wonderful to me.

Good luck on your move!!

Old 03-25-2011, 09:14 AM

73,081 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeta789 View Post
Savannah, Ga, is fine for vacationing, but unless you Know People Here or Have relatives here I would NOT
advise it, we've been here for 8 months on my husband's job, and it has been a nightmare,
Hospitals are NOT GOOD, very very weird laws, and crime is rampant especially downtown. Denist office bad experience, people are very rude, once they find out you're going to move here.
I cannot find a job here, and by the way they are a very tight area, meaning everyone knows everyone.

Go to where you both can find jobs. The schools are Not good either. we're leaving soon, hopefully.
What weird laws?

Old 04-24-2011, 11:50 AM

107 posts, read 188,104 times
I was in Savannah for a day in late March. We were down on the River walk area and there were so many people there. Everyone we came into contact with was very nice. People walking their dogs and a few people that were outside the bars made us feel very welcome and talked to us for hours. We had such a wonderful day in Savannah we have been thinking of moving there.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:58 AM

73,081 posts, read 62,717,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle73 View Post
I was in Savannah for a day in late March. We were down on the River walk area and there were so many people there. Everyone we came into contact with was very nice. People walking their dogs and a few people that were outside the bars made us feel very welcome and talked to us for hours. We had such a wonderful day in Savannah we have been thinking of moving there.
I have never been to bars in Savannah. In fact, I have not been to Savannah since February 1996. My experience living in Savannah for almost two years is that there are some nice people there. It's a different place from Atlanta. Savannah is a bit slower, more tropical. Atlanta is more active, large, expansive.

Old 04-26-2011, 07:40 AM

50,390 posts, read 64,095,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conniefay View Post
** I hope that someone will reply to my first message. I truly do hope to move to Savannah ~ for the warmth, being close to the ocean, and the history!! I have lived in many cities/states while growing up but have been in a smaller, uppermidwest area for most of my adult life. I am sooooo tired of the snow and cold!! PLEASE HELP!!
Do it! We moved from NE Ohio last summer and have loved being here and enjoying the weather. Every weekend there is something to do and see, usually free, and the beach is only a half hour away.
I don't have kids in school, so don't know if it's really that hard to find a good school for your kids or not. I work with people who have kids in school and it doesn't seem to be an issue with them.
The only thing I do not enjoy is the intense humidity in the summer. I really hate being hot, so I did not go to outside activities much in the summer. Small price to pay for 9 months of mild weather.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:59 AM

17 posts, read 36,490 times
Come to Pooler! The Godley area has a new K-8 school and lots of new things popping up in the area including the movie theaters, grocery, etc.

Old 07-09-2011, 09:12 PM

1 posts, read 2,649 times
Thinking of relocating in the Savannah area in 6 months, mostly because of the weather/location. We live in Southern Florida and it's just too hot. I have a web business so employment opportunities is not a factor. We want to live close to the beach. We don't want a ton of people around but want to be close enough to do stuff. We have a baby on the way.

Probably would get a storefront but walk-in traffic is not all that important--gets in the way of our mail-in service--but it's cool to help locals. Want a house with some property and privacy. Low crime, easy low cost living. Any suggestions would be great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area