Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2014, 09:24 AM

1,054 posts, read 1,243,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
We're comparing Charleston and Savannah, not Atlanta and Savannah. Nice try though.

I will add this: Since the first of the year, I have met about a dozen people from Charleston who've recently rediscovered Savannah and a couple who've, oddly enough, discovered it for the first time. And to the person, every one of them said they were blown away by Savannah. The consensus I heard was that Charleston was stuffy and pretentious, and Savannah was fun and friendly. And I've heard this from enough people over the years to believe that there's more than a bit of truth to it.

Now please: Don't respond by trying to tell me how much bigger Charleston is, or how much better the job market is there. It doesn't matter to me. As Ben Carter stated in his media event that unveiled his Broughton Street plans, Savannah has a large, energetic and dynamic creative class that Charleston simply lacks. Downtown Savannah is accessible and real to a broad cross-section of people and lifestyles. Charleston is not.

I've been to Savannah but not yet to Charleston. I enjoyed visiting Savannah, and it's definitely a gem of a historic city. However, I have to say, of the people I know who have visited both cities, the clear majority seemed to prefer Charleston. They basically said there's more to do in Charleston and that it's a nicer city overall. I look forward to visiting Charleston soon so I can find out for myself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2014, 09:53 AM

37,935 posts, read 42,250,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stillstuckinthesouth View Post
I've been to Savannah but not yet to Charleston. I enjoyed visiting Savannah, and it's definitely a gem of a historic city. However, I have to say, of the people I know who have visited both cities, the clear majority seemed to prefer Charleston. They basically said there's more to do in Charleston and that it's a nicer city overall. I look forward to visiting Charleston soon so I can find out for myself.
There is definitely more to do in Charleston, but I find that the two cities complement each other more than anything as far as their downtowns/historic districts go.

As far as Broughton goes, I think what's happening on Upper King St. in Charleston could serve as a potential template. That part of King isn't as touristy and still has a good bit of local establishments but is still seeing a lot of investment.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:04 PM

50,522 posts, read 64,480,575 times
I am no expert on Charleston, but anyone who thinks there is nothing to do in Savannah has, obviously, never lived in NE Ohio. We have lived here for 4 years, and, if we chose, we could do something new every week.

Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 PM

11,427 posts, read 24,554,171 times
I like Charleston. I like Savannah. Who cares?

Is what's his face going to do something freaky to Broughton Street? Probably. Oh well...

Old 03-09-2014, 06:26 PM

7,125 posts, read 11,744,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellie View Post
I like Charleston. I like Savannah. Who cares?

Is what's his face going to do something freaky to Broughton Street? Probably. Oh well...
I like your style.

Old 03-09-2014, 06:35 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,025,396 times
I think the problem is that too many people try to cut Savannah and Charleston from the exact same mold. The cities are very different, and that's OK. Some people prefer Savannah, some prefer Charleston. And that's OK too.

Ben Carter was VERY adamant in his presentation that he didn't want to turn Savannah into another Charleston, or Broughton Street into another King Street. And that's a good thing.

I think whatever happens, Savannah will end up better for it. I don't think the city is in any danger of losing what already makes it so special.

Old 03-09-2014, 08:47 PM

37,935 posts, read 42,250,670 times
Although cities can and do learn from each other, no city should try to completely replicate another, regardless of how many similarities they have. Also, the history of King Street's revitalization is very different from what's going on on Broughton right now. Charleston Place Hotel is what gave King Street new life, but that came at a price as some historic structures were razed to make way for it. That doesn't need to happen along Broughton, nor is it necessary to attract more retailers.

Old 03-12-2014, 11:51 AM

2,097 posts, read 2,290,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Although cities can and do learn from each other, no city should try to completely replicate another, regardless of how many similarities they have. Also, the history of King Street's revitalization is very different from what's going on on Broughton right now. Charleston Place Hotel is what gave King Street new life, but that came at a price as some historic structures were razed to make way for it. That doesn't need to happen along Broughton, nor is it necessary to attract more retailers.
All VERY good posts here. I agree with the last few especially. I am a bit over the top perhaps with my descriptions...

So, I love Charleston. I lived in the midlands of SC for years and visited occasionally. But I love Savannah more as a city to live in, personally. Do I like that King St has an Apple Store? Heck yes. I want an Apple Store on Broughton! I'm surprised with SCAD here we don't have one. Now yes, many parts of King St are magical. It does have some awesome restaurants and local shops. I just feel Broughton St has an even more *local* and original feel, and more "main st" feel as Newsboy is getting to I think. I also think Savannah has far more (very) talented street musicians and performers which I see every day on my way to and from work and talk to and listen to often. Although less homeless people and graffiti would not be a bad thing but overall I like the gritty feel. In fact it is not the homeless people they are usually very calm, or are just having a wee bit of fun in the City Market at night. it is the thugsters of which Charleston has much more I feel. I hope shootings on Broughton become a thing of the past when Carter brings money and thus I hope more police presence here. So I hope we can keep it local and original, yet perhaps bring more businesses and increase public safety.

Charleston and Savannah are two incredible cities that are so similar yet so different. On the surface one sees similarities and the differences become noticeable the longer you stay. I find it interesting this friendly competition we have over things like who has the most history or biggest port. I find we are sister cities kind of like Portland and Seattle or Boston and Providence. We are both "low country".

That said, newsboy I'm glad you informed us about Carter saying he wants to retain the original feel.

Because you say Savannah will not change...

Has anyone heard more about Ben Carter's proposal? Because now they are looking at changing the Building Height to 7 stories in the Historic District. Height map amendment postponed for River Street development | savannahnow.com

While I also love the idea of Kessler making the old Power Plant on W River St into a hotel I am not sure about carte blanche changing heights for the district. Just build in the old plant and a few buildings a few stories high around it. See how well it does. I bet it'll do great! And I hope so. In fact I think everyone here wants this project to happen but as long as it doesn't result in collateral damage and unintended consequences from drastically raising building heights.

So, hence my concern. Both these developers seem to have very good intentions, and seek to capitalize on and work with what is already here: a unique historic city. But we must guard this city closely so that it does not become just another bland city. So let's all keep updates on this development posted here...

Old 03-15-2014, 09:54 PM

13,704 posts, read 22,025,396 times
HUGE update to the story in Sunday's SMN!

Since he announced his multi-million-dollar plan, Carter has acquired six properties and one master lease agreement and has about 19 more under contract. Sixteen are expected to close by the end of April. Of the 150,000 square feet of leasable space, he says more than half, about 80,000 square feet, is under negotiation, with two new letters of intent expected to be signed next week.

Probably the biggest "new" news is this: Carter is under contract to purchase the building at 240 W. Broughton (next door to McDonald's) which he wants to demolish and combine with the vacant lot next door to build a custom 30,000-square foot store for H&M!

Developer's Broughton Street project gaining steam, several projects under review | savannahnow.com

Old 03-16-2014, 10:44 AM

16 posts, read 24,662 times
H&M just needs to be built at the outlet mall instead. Its sad to think buildings will be destroyed when they really don't need to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area