Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2016, 07:01 PM

73 posts, read 79,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Savannah is fine. END OF STORY!

To quote two gay boys from NYC who I met out at a bar tonight: "This is the most beautiful city we've ever seen! We want to move here!"

Again ... END OF STORY!

If you love Savannah bad enough, and you want to move here bad enough, you'll find away.
Wrong. Savannah is a dirty hot overcrowded mini Detroit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2016, 07:02 PM

Don't. Try smaller cities in Va.

Old 03-24-2016, 08:27 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,909,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentmissing View Post
Wrong. Savannah is a dirty hot overcrowded mini Detroit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wentmissing View Post
Don't. Try smaller cities in Va.
Thanks for reviving this VERY VERY old thread. But 95 percent of the people in this world DISAGREE WITH YOU (just check TR[P ADVISER). Savannah is, by most every measure, one of the top 10 most popular tourist destinations in the United States. Sorry you had a bad experience, but A FAR CRY from Detroit.

CARRY ON.

Old 03-25-2016, 05:11 PM

36 posts, read 147,553 times
It's getting worse and worse every day, though. Savannah isn't what she used to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Thanks for reviving this VERY VERY old thread. But 95 percent of the people in this world DISAGREE WITH YOU (just check TR[P ADVISER). Savannah is, by most every measure, one of the top 10 most popular tourist destinations in the United States. Sorry you had a bad experience, but A FAR CRY from Detroit.

CARRY ON.

Old 03-30-2016, 01:56 PM

Forget it. Try Raleigh, Greensboro, Greenville,S.C., Richmond, Sarasota.
Savannah is a mini Detroit, with an Army base in the middle!

Old 03-30-2016, 03:12 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,864 times
well, at some rate you are on to something. Crime is up, even compared to last year. I wish they could use the death penalty more on murderers. But I will wait a bit more to form a solid opinion on results from the new mayor. Nothing happens overnight. And he still has an incompetent city manager for now, until a new one is hired. The soft approach of jobs, training and so on with summer internship program great and in the end a carrot is often more effective than a stick. They need to stop releasing murderers and violent offenders on parole early though.

Old 01-11-2019, 07:10 PM

1 posts, read 823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasondnorris View Post
I currently live in the DC area and I felt the urge to comment on this post. I lived in Savannah for two years (2004-2006) and I hope my comments are helpful in you making a wise decision about Savannah.
What can I say nice about Savannah? Well, it's pretty and they filmed "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil" there. That's pretty much the extent of what I can say nice about Savannah. I looked at some of the other post and noticed everyone failed to mention that Savannah is below sea level. Why is that signifcant you might ask? Because when it rains in Savannah for longer than 20 minutes a good number of the streets that you'll be using to get around Savannah will flood. Also if your electricity goes out (which apparently happens if the wind blows to hard in Savannah) expect the lights to be out at least an hour. Savannah Electric has the slowest response time to power outages. Oh, and the summers are brutally hot. Now to the bad news about Savannah. The econony is VERY, VERY, VERY, VERY limited in Savannah. I have a degree and the best I could find was a job at one of the hospitals. I saw some guy say he turned down a job in 60's in Savannah. Let me tell you those jobs are few and far between. Savannah has a tourist based economy. I can't think of ONE fortune 500 company that is headquartered there. The economy is extremely limited so have realistic expectations about the jobs. As far as housing, I think the housing is a little overpriced for that market. I'm in the DC area and I think it's over priced here to. The difference is the economy here is 50 times better than the economy in Savannah. Now I'll touch briefly on race and crime: Savannah has some of the most narrow minded people (white and black) that I've ever seen. Savannah has a high crime rate and there are alot of crimes commited by everyone. ( i was a financial counselor in the ER. i saw people who commited the crimes and the victims and it was a pretty even split.) The problem with Savannah and race is the perception that only blacks commit crime there. Believe that if you want to. The person that mentioned the jail population should also mention most cities in the US have a high percentage of black men in jail. Now some would argue the causes for that: I'm just saying that most cities with large black populations have a high number of black men in jails. Would I suggest you move to Savannah? I don't know you and I don't know what you're looking for. If you want to move south, my hometown of Jacksonville, FL has a lot more to offer than Savannah. Not to say Jacksonville doesn't have it's share of problems, but it's a growing city and the overall standard of living is better than in Savannah.

Hope this helps.

The city of Savannah is 42 feet above sea level. The reason it floods easily is probably because it is so flat or their storm drains are not adequate.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:38 AM

it is because this city has more litter than anywhere else I've ever seen and the people that live here (not just tourists) throw their trash in the drain. Which has no grate over it. So it goes in. That may be part of it. And political prioritizing of goofy projects like the Cultural Center over maintaining storm drains. And lack of smart thinking like creating green space to soak water up and instead paving everything as if it was an 1819 understanding of engineering not 2019. Savannah has a lot of issues and oddly some of them are easily solvable. Flooding is one of them. Stop building in flood zones and paving wetlands, creating needlessly expensive drainage systems that will need to be maintained but aren't. Some positives are happening. They are beginning to buy up lots that always flood and turn them in to parks, finally some smart thinking that is effective both financially and in reality. The littering is just a cultural problem. It's sad. I wish it would change, it is so odd to see people just drop trash everywhere.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:30 AM

7,126 posts, read 11,697,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
it is because this city has more litter than anywhere else I've ever seen and the people that live here (not just tourists) throw their trash in the drain.

I suppose you haven't travelled much. Yes there is occasionally litter such as candy wrappers, but for the most part this is not a litter filled city. In downtown, sanitation passes 4 out of seven nights a week. Moving cars is strictly enforced with a $25 fine. If you don't pay it the fine is increased every few weeks. You don't pay....no tags.

You make it sound like we live in Calcutta. BTW, have you seen the litter created at the border?? Tijuana border. Oh, I know lots of people. Real story is that the way they do it back home.

Old 01-16-2019, 10:53 AM

I don't know about or have not been to the southwest border. Other countries may junk up their land, it is unfortunate but we can't do anything about it. Sad that litter from Asia is most of the ocean pollution. I spend plenty of time picking it up, and not happily. I have been to cities on the west and in the north. Savannah is relatively bad, to my eye. The litter problem here is bad. And it shouldn't be. I just don't get it, like what is the excuse, there are trash cans everywhere. Occasionally litter? Maybe if you only look at squares. Which by the way we are wasting a mountain of taxpayer money on for city workers to clean... daily. Do any litterers here ever get a ticket? I kind of doubt it. It's bad from West Chatham all the way to the city. Just pathetic. A lot can be sad of the values of citizens by the lack or presence of litter in my opinion. San Fran for example and the valley has way less litter and it's 100x dang bigger and with lots of "those people" there too even. It's just sad. And interestingly there is no way in a city that big that it is clean just by accident or by city workers picking it up, that would be nearly impossible. It is because people there choose not to litter. Ugh. I wish this was not a distinguishing characteristic here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area