Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 09:03 AM

8 posts, read 18,655 times

Advertisements

Agreed, the burbs are the only way to go in Savannah. I lived downtown for 18 months, restored 6 homes, had a daughter graduate SCAD. Fell in love with the city. Then, moved their. Worst mistake of my life. I had to place exterior video cameras with a recording system on each property I owned. Then they would walk on the other side of the street as they know what those are! I would not allow my daughter, or anyone to live there without the camara as a bare minimum. Having lunch with my banker one day he summed it up. Somewhere the goverment of Savannah decided, when they needed to add additional public housing, let's put one on the East side or the Historic District and one on the West side. Then, they will have to walk through the Historic district to visit the others, on the way they can rob, shoot, throw trash everywhere and steal any tool you have laying in sight outside. If you review the data you will now see you have three generations in that public housing that was supposed to be used to get people started on a new life. I got so used to the gunfire downtown I didn't even notice it any longer. Yet when I had subs from out of the city doing work they were ducking! The mayor was worthless and you do not have the demographics to elect a board of change. Funny, a few weeks ago many of us were together that used to live in downtown Savannah. The first thing we all noticed was, you had to leave there, to look back and realize how bad it was. Most described it, now, as a hell hole. Not one person, and this was a varied age group with many professions, including a minister, would EVER go back. Sorry, "The Book" did not even begin to tell the story of Savannah, the beautiful historic city that is a prisoner of it's own people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:04 AM

11 posts, read 66,852 times
Default Savannah.....not so nice

I had the same experience as grvlguy. My wife and I rented a house near Daffin Park and regretted it almost instantly. The neighborhood we were in was beautiful with good neighbors, but every day when I came home there would be people wandering around the streets with no where to go and going nowhere. It sucked, I have always owned a gun, but I never felt the need to keep it loaded and near the bed until we moved to Savannah. The culmination of the whole experience was when a man tried to force his way into the house when my wife was home. I thank God that I kept the shotgun out and that she knew how to use it. He saw her with a gun and took off......After our experience in wonderful Savannah we moved to Rincon. Honestly Savannah kind of sucks and I second the advice of others on here, break the lease or arm yourself. I would never live in Savannah proper again.

Old 09-24-2009, 09:42 AM

17 posts, read 78,182 times
Start going to the gym, get some muscles and learn to run fast..Buy a gun and good luck!

Old 09-24-2009, 10:40 AM

288 posts, read 542,839 times
i realize this is an old thread, but to those that read it....don't think violent criminals are scared of a golf club or a knife. They have no problems trying to wrestle a cop and take his gun. If they are not scared of a cop who is trained and authorized to shoot them, do you think they will be scared of a female with a golf club. Please.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:57 PM

12 posts, read 32,159 times
I'm not familar enough with Savannah to comment on the part of town you are moving to. But, I will tell you this. I have always hear how very dangerous Savannah was and pretty worried the first time I visitied, however, I was really surprised at how safe i personally found it to be. Now I was only visiting in the historic area, but me and a few gal friends walked around at wee hours of the morning and never once felt uncomfortable. Maybe it was just that area but we didn't have any problems. Beautiful , amazing place to visit by the way. Can't say enough good things about it. If you haven't been there......GO!

Old 10-19-2009, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,157 times
Default Wanting to relocate

I want to relocate from chicago, but i dont know where. My daughter is blind and she needs a real good school. We need 2 live in a place that wants us, I feel very unwanted in here in Chiago. Seeking advice.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:49 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
nope, mossburg 500A 12 gauge short barrel w ATI folding stock.
such a deal.
btw dont assume bek you move to an upper level you can leave the windows open, a terrible thing happened to a friend of mine making that assumption in a rough part of town. balconeys are easy to scale and jump.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:13 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,175,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferfarr View Post
I want to relocate from chicago, but i dont know where. My daughter is blind and she needs a real good school. We need 2 live in a place that wants us, I feel very unwanted in here in Chiago. Seeking advice.
You really need to start a new post for this information. Only a few people will read this old one. I don't know about the classes for the blind in Savannah. A call to our Board of Education would be a worthwhile thing for you to do. It might help you make your decision.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:30 PM

8 posts, read 16,888 times
Get a German Shepherddog! They are the best protection you can have and good friends, and will not hurt you or get you in trouble like a gun you can hurt the wrong person.
German Shepherd Dog - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 12-22-2009, 04:50 PM

18 posts, read 42,015 times
Default HELP!! I am finding nothing good about moving to Savannah!!!

I have spent several days reading posts about Savannah and I am just disgusted with the thought of moving anywhere near there...as it may be a possibility very soon. It very much sounds like a parasite infested gangland Chicagoan- Mexico!

I already own 3 guns and am a very good shot, so I guess that I will need a good holster. It is such a disappointment and shame, that a city such as Savannah, would allow things to get so out-of-hand and prevent people from visiting or moving there. What exactly is the crime problem there? Is it black on white, black on black, immigration, punk gangbangers, or what exactly?? Are there no programs or facilities aimed at these people to keep them off of the streets?? Why not create programs for them to work, make a little money, have some pride, and stop being punks?

I really don't mean to offend anyone on here, in any way, but it really ticks me off..lol. I will tenatively be moving to that area and I am thinking of telling my husband to just keep his current job in KY, because I don't know if it's worth going somewhere that you need to stay inside with a gun to avoid being raped, shot, mugged, murdered, eaten by gnats, carried off by fire ants, bitten by snakes, and be shunned by the locals for not being a Georgian. Maybe we can go to Nashville, TN area instead? If anyone knows of another nearby town where "none (or not much) of the above" applies, I would love to hear!!!

Ok, now that I have vented my frustrations from the threads I have been reading, I have one big question. If the Savannah area is so bad, why doesn't everyone just move out of there? Why stay in such a horrible place? I know some can't afford to do anything else, but the rest of you could!!??

Again, my apologies to anyone I may have inadvertently offended...I guess I have just read too many threads and can't seem to find where the good outweighs the bad Maybe my post will bring out some good views of Savannah?? Please??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area