Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 AM

9 posts, read 55,397 times

Advertisements

I don't want to 'scare anyone away from Savannah,' but Savannah's crime rate is among the worst 4% of all cities in the nation. Compared to cities of similar size, Savannah is near the bottom in safety.

Violent crime, property crime...Savannah's record is very, very bad.

That said, the crime seems to be concentrated in the 'historically African-American' sections of town. So when researching your African-American history of Savannah, don't forget the crime history, which is rather bleak indeed.

However, the image posted above was more than likely cobbled together by a white person seeking to exploit the unfortunate message of the girl's murder and local thugs calling it a 'reparations protest,' just to grind his political axe against them.

The truth of black-on-white crime in Savannah is that it is rare. Blacks in Savannah unfortunately make up the VAST majority of crime VICTIMS. You read that right: if you are black in Savannah, you have a massively increased chance of being victimized by Savannah's criminal element. It seems the whites come down very hard on criminals who go after the white minority.

If the black majority in Savannah came down just as hard on criminals victimizing blacks here, two things would happen:

First, crime against black victims would plummet,

Second, the police would immediately be accused of 'racism' and release all the thugs back into the wild to commit more crimes against black victims.

The REAL RACISM is not immediately putting away ALL the criminals, forget what race they are. If they're disproportionately black, then who are the racists? They're victimizing blacks in a very disproportionate way. The statistics say that criminals are very anti-black in their choice of victims. Who are the racists? Don't count the criminals; count the victims. Fight for THEM. And when the ignorant accuse you of racism, stand up for the black VICTIMS of crime.

Rudy Giuliani did that--he said screw the race of the perps. It's the victims who suffer. Somebody needs to stand up for them. If we as a community came down just as hard on blag thugs as we do on white thugs, the black neighborhoods would be just as safe as the white neighborhoods and black men would get the message: don't be a thug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:16 AM

3 posts, read 20,262 times
Most people just contact the library. There is nothing hidden about black history in Savannah. Savannah is the blackest town in the bible slapping south!

Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM

428 posts, read 831,957 times
I say start with the history of the Gullah people and move out from there. The Gullah or Geechee people live/lived on the Island near Savanah and had a rich highly African culture due to their fortunate distance from White and more assimulated Blacks. They are in steep decline unfortunately so check em while you can and buy a basket and some art.

Old 03-15-2011, 05:53 AM

1 posts, read 9,642 times
My husband & I are Black. Just want 2 see how was your experience? Were you welcomed or ignored? How were your strolls downtown? We jus want a weekend romantic getaway....your thoughts please?

Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 PM

3 posts, read 20,262 times
@ B&BVA if you are coming here, then you already a part of the black history. Savannah, is the only place in united states where blacks are never discriminated against! There is no lack of opportunity for blacks here. So expect to see the most, black administrators working for the city of Savannah,Chatham County and the Board of Education. Expect to see the most black women business owners in the USA. Expect to see more government housing stimulus projects than in any other large inner city in the USA. The downside to all this -- is the poor homeless white men living under the bridge on President street... there is no funding for them . There is nothing for them, they came to the wrong place! Enjoy! Hope yr time is relaxing, fun, and memorable! =)

Old 09-10-2011, 03:05 PM

1 posts, read 9,330 times
I am white and have read a few novels about Savannah. I made the statement to my doctor who is a black man that blacks in Savannah were treated differently then in any other part of the south, especially around the civil war era. Would anyone with a knowledgeable study of that time confirm or correct me.

Old 09-16-2011, 01:35 AM

12 posts, read 65,615 times
history is there..in current day...folks can't go to certain areas or they will be shot /no history....still there yiks but true, so tread carefully ...history is what savannah has most of.....check on that. go to river street..tallk ...ur history is there and beautiful,,,,,but u must look carefully or you will be shot....i'm just tellin u like it is

does this help

Old 09-16-2011, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jafrmohio View Post
I am white and have read a few novels about Savannah. I made the statement to my doctor who is a black man that blacks in Savannah were treated differently then in any other part of the south, especially around the civil war era. Would anyone with a knowledgeable study of that time confirm or correct me.
oh get real............. treated differently?? do u mean that they were taken care of so greatly and boosted to be free persons as should have been? then yes. otherwise , no..........

Old 09-16-2011, 01:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mp1219 View Post
@ B&BVA if you are coming here, then you already a part of the black history. Savannah, is the only place in united states where blacks are never discriminated against! There is no lack of opportunity for blacks here. So expect to see the most, black administrators working for the city of Savannah,Chatham County and the Board of Education. Expect to see the most black women business owners in the USA. Expect to see more government housing stimulus projects than in any other large inner city in the USA. The downside to all this -- is the poor homeless white men living under the bridge on President street... there is no funding for them . There is nothing for them, they came to the wrong place! Enjoy! Hope yr time is relaxing, fun, and memorable! =)
wow....i see more black than white men under the bridge; however, it doesn't matter their color, there are men there who need help..god bless you all

Old 09-16-2011, 01:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b&bva View Post
My husband & I are Black. Just want 2 see how was your experience? Were you welcomed or ignored? How were your strolls downtown? We jus want a weekend romantic getaway....your thoughts please?
we don't see people as black and white unless forced to do so, so you should be fine, really and u will be loved...but watch out for areas of city which are very violent *they are predominately black...just giving the facts u need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area