Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:51 AM

3,424 posts, read 3,471,328 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by relocatinghoosier View Post
if anybody is interested here is a good resource that shows when and where homicides took place in savannah from 2008-2010.
homicides database | savannahnow.com
excellent link. This should be sticky'd for future visitors to site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM

98 posts, read 390,127 times
Thanks Mike. I don't know anything about law enforcement and I'm not trying to pick on the Savannah PD but doesn't it seem as if many of those homicies are still open and not solved? Is it normal for a homicide to go years without being solved?

Old 05-13-2010, 10:46 AM

7,099 posts, read 27,245,020 times
There is one thing to remember about old homicides in Savannah. A lot of times, it's a shooting in a bad part of town. No one sees a thing, no one knows a thing, everyone was somewhere else and the most likely suspect has a dozen friends that swear that he was 200 miles away at a church meeting. What are the police supposed to do?

Yes, I know that I am exaggerating a little, but a lot of our homicides are involving drugs, and gang activity. No one will help the police because it's possible that there will retribution if they do. Sometimes, even people that we think are nice get caught up in that sort of activity.

It's really not like it is on TV where the police get all the clues they need, everyone cooperates and the guilty party is behind bars before the last commericial comes on.

Also, unless someone tells, drivebys shootings are very hard or impossible to solve. People in some walks of life have many enemies.

Old 05-13-2010, 07:12 PM

its typical for shootings to be unsolved. people are afraid of getting shot if they talk. but if you notice almost all of the shootings are in a small area.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:53 PM

1 posts, read 2,552 times
Thanks for offering such insightful messages! All three of those industries faciliate a lack of forward momentum out of poverty, and as a die-hard liberal, I say reform for all three of them for the good of the people! Wonderful, wonderful

To the original poster: I have moved and traveled from Las Vegas, To Dayton and Columbus OH, Washingon DC, and now Arlington VA. There are less than 10 cities that are so dangerous you can't find a nice place to live. Ive learned, as a single female, just go down there, walk around neighborhoods, talk to local people, dont let racial concerns get in the way ( I currently live in an all latino neighborhodd (im sooo not latina), but its a great place to stay - I could have let negative stereotypes of affect me, and that would have been my loss).

Also, SEARCH INTERACTIVE CRIME MAPPING. EVERY police department is online. Put in an address of some areas/apts you would like to move into, and see the type of crime...if its theft (doable in my opinion), if its aggravated assault, rape, sexual assault, its not worth it for you. Its that simple. Dont be scared, just be proactive and smart. Even Gary and Detroit, for all their reputations, have nice parts of town, you have to do your footwork though, and thats the only way to do it right.

Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasToDayton View Post
Thanks for offering such insightful messages! All three of those industries faciliate a lack of forward momentum out of poverty, and as a die-hard liberal, I say reform for all three of them for the good of the people! Wonderful, wonderful

To the original poster: I have moved and traveled from Las Vegas, To Dayton and Columbus OH, Washingon DC, and now Arlington VA. There are less than 10 cities that are so dangerous you can't find a nice place to live. Ive learned, as a single female, just go down there, walk around neighborhoods, talk to local people, dont let racial concerns get in the way ( I currently live in an all latino neighborhodd (im sooo not latina), but its a great place to stay - I could have let negative stereotypes of affect me, and that would have been my loss).

Also, SEARCH INTERACTIVE CRIME MAPPING. EVERY police department is online. Put in an address of some areas/apts you would like to move into, and see the type of crime...if its theft (doable in my opinion), if its aggravated assault, rape, sexual assault, its not worth it for you. Its that simple. Dont be scared, just be proactive and smart. Even Gary and Detroit, for all their reputations, have nice parts of town, you have to do your footwork though, and thats the only way to do it right.
as a die hard conservative.. I agree with all that.. see the 2 sides can get along and agree..just keep that reform local and not federal and I am happy...

Old 03-17-2011, 04:09 AM

3 posts, read 8,063 times
theres nothing criminal about savannah Georgia i have lived here for six years and the most criminal thing in this town is the cops and law enforcement they are crooked and wont hesitate to shoot you look out for the police. the second most criminal thing in this city is the tourist industry the lie to these people so bad savannah is haunted savannah has so much to do if you ever see a ghost in savannah you will be the first. if you like paying high prices for some sea food or southern cooking than down town is your place. if you want better sea food and better cooking run your ass on up to the south side and eat at carey hilliards or the shell house or even uncle bubbas going out towards tybee is a fair place to eat for cheap prices. dont get ripped off by staying in those fancy ass hotels and eating their over priced food the boat rides and carriage rides are alright but anything else is a jipp. theres plenty of nice hotels at cheap prices and theres alot of places to eat shop and relax on the south side of savannah enjoy your visit.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:51 AM

324 posts, read 880,304 times
I didn't bother to read the whole thread but i was a SCAD student and lived in Savannah for 5 years. It's common to hear stories of car break in and people getting robbed at gunpoint. It never happened to me personally but crime is random and really nice streets are right next to really bad streets. Instead of gentrifying entire neighborhoods there are certain streets in neighborhoods that are nice.

Don't walk around downtown during the night !

With that said...I had a fantastic time in Savannah and it was one of the best experiences of my life !

Old 09-22-2011, 10:37 AM

1 posts, read 1,863 times
It's like anything else, you can't be afraid to get up out of bed in the morning and face life.
Now that said my Daughter was held up and robbed at gun point (to the head) ina Walgreens in Savannah.

Luckily she and her roomate were "just" robbed and not hurt.

But this can happen in any city (and it does) every day.

So my recommendation:

Go to school (SCAD is very good) do things that make sense and say a prayer every day, that's all you can do!!

Old 01-19-2014, 12:12 PM

929 posts, read 2,097,457 times
There is crime in every city of similar size to Savannah. I've spent some time in the city and found it to be very nice. Just use common sense and you will be fine. Check with the police department to give you crime stats map that may help you to figure out where would be best place to stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Savannah area